Accepting every load...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I love that. It makes it worthwhile for the times you deal w/ jerks.

I also love how the shipper can be nonchalant about the shipment, only to find that the consignee is ready to pull his hair out that it didn't come yesterday. Then you have a shipper who is all in a hurry because he expected you there 10 minutes ago (no joke), but when you drop off, you find that they're shocked because they weren't expecting it till next week!

Such is life....:9

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
Well I hope you won't mind me putting in my 2 cents worth again. When we were leased there were a lot of times that we sat unnecessarily because the company refused to allow outside sources of freight and wouldn't broker anything to help. That hurt. We got .40 per mile after the first 100 for deadheading but that was back when you could afford it. That won't even cover the cost of fuel anymore so picking and chosing the right loads is essential to your survival. Taking every load has a lot more risk today than it did even a year ago.

Now that we are on our own I still deal with accepting or turning down loads all day long BUT I have a lot more options and control than I did before so I can accept more than I could before. I have access to all the major expedite companies, the DAT board and Landstar board to fill in. I still have to consider the amount of deadhead involved and the ending location and its a full time job to keep ahead of all that. We have been blessed so far for the past 3 years that our overall rate per mile for all miles, including deadhead stays at or above 2.00.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Col. this sounds like a very touchy subject to you. I can consider myself knowledgeable of this industry. You and me would never get along as co-drivers let alone as partners in this business. I am the one with the Sask. Load. In my thinking it was not just smart I was brilliant in my quick thinking as how to stradigize the situation. If I lost it so be it, but I got it and BOY DID I GET RICH THAT MONTH. Yes I am bragging but it was business, I am not here to be charity for any Shipper, they want it moved, fine pay me my rate for your demands and I will come through if not someone else will do it for less who will not be here in another year.

How many business operators have you gone through in the last two years? Or better put Drivers?

Your previous Posts on what to do after a drop, sounds very demanding maybee I am reading it wrong, but I see no harm in DH a couple of miles to a truck stop to maybee Fuel, Shower. There kinda hard to do at a shipper, understand common sense must be used in all DH but situations do exist to make a driver want to go to a truck stop. But in reading your posts it is not acceptable, did I read it correct?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Broom: Certainly, there are times when a truck stop visit is necessary. However, if I don't need fuel, or a shower, it is not acceptable to me personnaly to dead head fifty miles to a truck stop. If I do need fuel, I more than likely still won't dead head that far to a truck stop. Fuel is readily available most everwhere. When I do visit a truck stop for fuel, shower I certainly don't remain there for the atmosphere, or the food, or to set on the hot tarmac, or to listen to the noise. If, a truck stop is you're kinda place, then your assumtion is correct, we wouldn't get along as co-drivers.
We have gone through a few contractors. Had nothing to do with their truck stop habit. Had to do with them doing stupid stuff, or really stupid stuff, or really, really stupid stuff.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I've heard and been told similar at different places I've worked for. I do accept a very high percentage of runs offered. I do chase. Yes I've done more DH than the loaded miles (don't get upset ppl or laugh too hard).
There is a method to my madness. FIrst let me say that every broker must weigh the cost of doing a call. Good business sense may mean better profit.
I however am now with a smaller company and they need to cover the runs to keep the customers calling. So I do what is necessary for them. My dispatch does remember the favours, the chasing etc that I do and it has had its rewards.
I have always been one of those that does take almost anything offered. I also work out the money for the call a little differently than most in that if it pays a minimum of $25/hr to do it (including DH) then it has a minimum of profit. I look at rolling loaded is making something rather than nothing. I know not the best attitude for most. But for me this has worked over the years.
But as we all now know... take the recruiters speech and read between the lines and then make decisions based on how is best to make money.
Unfortunately for the newbie to the company they have to show their knowledge and skills and determination etc so dispatch will use them.
Rob Fis

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I think what it comes down to is following your gut. I think it's smart for a newbie to listen to the dispatcher and take every load, until they get the experience to determine which loads are profitable or not. But the problem comes when they think they need to lose money on some loads, because the next load will make up for it... thereby keeping dispatch and the company happy.

Rob, I know the situation you speak of. Smaller expediting companies (PDQ comes to mind) will send you to Louisville from Detroit and leave it up to you to get back. In those cases, you'll be watching your profit fly out the stack. DH has become the biggest expense, along with idling, in this industry. When you have more dh than lm, you're spending at least .60 out of your rate for fuel.

And the Colonel makes a valid point that it's no longer feasible to dh 50 miles to a truckstop. Unfortunately, sometimes it's necessary. When I do so, I try to make sure I'm going to a good area for freight at the same time. I found it better to plan all that while I'm getting loaded, instead of after I drop. That way, I'm not too tired to look at dots in the truckstop book, and think, DAMM I should've fueled before I got here.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I also work out the money for the call a
>little differently than most in that if it pays a minimum of
>$25/hr to do it (including DH) then it has a minimum of
>profit.

If this works for you then more power to you however I'd advise anyone to not look at offers on an hourly basis. With $3 fuel combined with all the other operating expenses it costs at least 50cpm to run a truck. If you are running a Memphis to Dallas load you'll average at least 60mph for an operating cost of at least $30 per hour or a $5 per hour loss based on your system. In this business I believe it is imperative to focus on cost/revenue per mile. Those are numbers that can be calculated exactly whereas hourly is a rough estimate at best and a WAG the rest of the time.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
In this business I believe it is
>imperative to focus on cost/revenue per mile. Those are
>numbers that can be calculated exactly whereas hourly is a
>rough estimate at best and a WAG the rest of the time.

==================================================

And with that I will give a hearty AMEN!!

Jeff

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe I can help someone considering this business. Following is a real life fact about costs. We purchased a 330 Peterbuilt with a 60" double bunk sleeper (austere but adequate) for $40,000. We Have run that machine for 550,000 miles. Cost per mile $.072. Lets double that for Ins, Maint, repairs, etc rounded up to $.15. This machine is setting in the yard with a freshly rebuilt engine, and a fresh CVSA sticker, loaded for delivery in the morning. Add $.30 per mile for fuel costs, and we have $.45 per mile. Our business model includes idle only when absolutely necessary, Yes, turn the radio down and listen to your horse, keep proper tire pressures etc.
We dead head across town to pick up a $1.40 per mile load in Louisiana going to New York, Instead of Dead heading 150 miles to pick up a $2.00 load going to Oklahoma. I believe in this scenario there should be $.95 remaining. We do haul very little $1.40 freight by the way, only when necessary. Those of you that feel that austere but adequate is not gonna get it, and go for the Taj to travel in, you more than likely will shoot yourself in the foot costs wise. If you idle excessively, don't listen to your horse etc. you will shoot yourself in the foot. And, for those that have already shot yourself in the foot, and continue to do so. Sorry

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
BTW, I want to congratulate Broompilot on his home run to Sask. Happy you broke the bank that MONTH. I'm setting here wondering however, how thin you're soup will get before you step to the plate and hit another one.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I can honestly say he's been hitting more than Barry Bonds, lately. And lately, I've been hitting a double and triple here and there. Sending the RBIs home to the lady is quite rewarding, I must say. Must be the new batting coach. ;)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe. Or maybe, you have been learned, and are a little wiser.:+ :+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I can honestly say he's been hitting more than Barry Bonds,
>lately. And lately, I've been hitting a double and triple
>here and there. Sending the RBIs home to the lady is quite
>rewarding, I must say. Must be the new batting coach. ;)

Is it possible that one can find steriods for expediting?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Colonel, I totally agree with that. It took several changes in this field to finally realize both what I'm capable of, and what I can do to make the industry work for me. Experiences from each change have pointed me in the direction I want to go. And, honestly, I have you to thank for learnin me the bizzness side.

I've always thought team was the way to go in this business... and for most companies, it is. But, in that aspect, you can never trully tap your potential, neither earnings or endurance. I'll end that before I open another can of worms. ;)

Yep, Greg... it's called No-Doze :7

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ok guys and gals
im new to this forum but i have an opinion on this subject
1st: taking everyload!
no matter what company you go to ,for the 1st month or so,good bad or ugly,to understand the expediting system,it would be an advantage to take every load,sure your going to take a loss on some but will more than make up for it over the month,if not you put the losses in your memory bank and not do that again
2nd:
if you turn down loads,are not making any money,you dont have any barganing power with your recruiter or head of dispatch,or contractor coordinator,depending where you work.
Finally,who am I?
I've been in expediting since 1984,started with roberts express,that we all know as fed ex cc,and except for 3 years while getting my drivers liscense back in order,(was at con-way now then),can tell you,no you cant take every load,but as i stated in beginning,you have to start some where,and if you dont know what to take and what not ,you will never learn or be successful,in expediting.
companies have to satisfy there customers,not all of their loads are coast to coast as we all would like,but if a company doesnt cover the so called bad loads,they will never get the most wanted long loads.for example
two weeks a go,i picked up a 119 mile run,had 100 mile dead head,and on the other end was load to california,delivered on monday,reloaded to chicago on monday
if i dont do the short load,i wouldnt have been in position to get the long one that in turn produced another long load,pockets are full
good luck to you
its my opinion and it works for me
;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Many I believe operate much differently than you, but it is nice to have a old Roberts driver join. Stick around as there are still a few of us around.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the forum, Night. Roberts was definitely a learning experience. You learned about the rules that benefitted the driver from other drivers, as the company never told you. So, anyone who just steered the wheel never caught on. It was fun! :)

There are many times where it's beneficial to take a load that makes little or no money. But experience tells us which ones are good to accept. Sitting in mid PA right now, I'd take a short one back to OH, but not WV or LI. And yes, sometimes you get points by pulling the company's fat outta the fire. When my nephew and I teamed for P2, we took a 15 mile run that was as hot as you can get. In turn, they got us a hefty 700 miler. But dispatchers have short memories and a "what have you done for me lately" attitude. So, when you do favors like that, don't expect a return.

Ya know... it's funny and sad looking back at those days (a little more than a year ago) As a team, we averaged 60% acceptance and still only averaged 350 lm per run. A 700 mile run was reason to celebrate. <shudder> I guess what's in the past should be left in the past. x(

:7 :7 :7

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
thawk,sorry to hear that
for the 12 months ive been back to fed ex(gone do to tickets)ive run 135000 miles,my revenue was 215k,and my fuel sc was $33000,
at 7 mpg with my tractor,they almost pay my fuel for me
my avg load is 761 miles,i do run team,135000 miles doesnt seem much,but my expenses are low for that reason
all the years ive been here,the best year ive had mileage wise was 142000 miles,and that year i made $192000,with no surcharge,yes i was in w/g
the following year i bought a refer trailer,for same miles i made $222000.
since ive been back im just running express freight,not in w/g,doing very well
while at one time i did have more than 1 truck,even had 1 at panther,it wasn't worth the money for the head aches,so since back to fed ex,i just run 1 truck that i drive with a co drive
hope your 4th went well
steve
fed ex cc E unit

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Judging from the number of posts, this load-acceptance topic is popular. I'd like to add one point; namely, there are numerous variables in the expediting industry. The load acceptance strategy that works for one expediter, may not work for another.

If you run team, you'll run some loads solo drivers don't.

If you run solo, you'll generally run a higher number of loads than team drivers do.

If your truck is lift-gate equipped, you'll run loads non-lift-gate trucks don't.

If your truck is reefer-equipped, you'll run loads non-reefer trucks don't.

If you're with a carrier that hauls a lot of automotive freight, you'll pick up and deliver to more automotive locations (with their freight cycles and pay rates) than if you were with a carrier that runs less automotive freight.

If the truck driver(s) have a security clearance, you'll run loads that non-cleared drivers don't.

If your carrier has a national reach, you'll run loads that regional carriers do not service.

Even with the same carrier, if you run loads west, where freight centers are further apart, the economics will be different than if you run east, where the freight centers are closer together.

If you carry equipment for doing inside pickups and deliveries (pallat jack, hand truck, furniture dollies, etc.), you'll run loads that trucks without that equipment do not run.

If your carrier lands a dedicated run and your truck is dedicated to that run for a period of time, you'll run only that freight and no other in that period.

If your straight truck has a 24' box, you'll run some freight that trucks with 22' and 14' boxes will never see.

If your back door is larger than that of most other trucks, you'll run some freight that smaller-door trucks will never see.

There is no single load acceptance, truck-equipment, or driver-credentails strategy that is better than another. If the 24-foot dry-box D-unit were the best, you would not have some 14-foot C-unit reefers making more money because they are eligible to haul more high-value and high-paying freight. If C-unit reefers were the best, you would not have 22-foot dry boxes out performing them because the dry boxes have smarter and harder-working drivers in the dry-box trucks.

If configuring your truck to haul the greatest amount of freight per load was the best strategy, B, C and D-units would fade away and E-units would be all we would see. But we dont' see just E-units, do we?

There is no single best strategy. There is only the strategy that works best for the particular driver or team in the truck. Some folks are happy in a basic truck. Others want something more full-featured.

As long as drivers can meet the financial and personal goals they set for themselves, and can keep their carrier and customers happy while doing it, it's all good.

Needless to say, profitability is required for any strategy to work. Keeping the profitability consideration in mind, I think it's great that people with a wide variety of goals and interests can find their place in the expediting industry and the way that works best for them.