Accepting every load...

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
OK. Time for me to chime in here. I tend to take loads when I'm asked. When I start with a company I take every load offered for 90 days. I've been with 5 companies and all of them sent me to nowhere and left me there. It seems to me that if we're partnering here, then this needs to benefit both of us. It's entirely unreasonable for a company to expect a contractor to take a loss for their benefit. I worked for an old guy in a truck brokerage for a while and he had a great policy. If you sent a truck somewhere you better get him back. If you had an empty truck you didn't go home until you got him loaded. We didn't loose drivers and we didn't have unhappy drivers. If I wanted to own and drive a reefer 18 wheeler I'd still be there. If I could find an expediting company with that kind if an attitude I'd be there with bells on.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I talk with many who have posted on this site. My back ground includes no former education other than H.S. I have however owned two successfull business that are both still in operation the first one was sold in 89.

The success I have encountered in this business has been suprising, I did not count on this, I knew I would be successfull but to this extent is very satisfaying. Caution not to boast this could come to an end tommorow. My thanks to the EO participants, and my carrier.

I have learned how my carrier likes me to operate and I fill there needs and requests to the best of my ability. Not all runs are nice or easy, some everything seems to be a hoola hoop run. Get it done and get it behind you. Keeping a DH to min is where I have discovered the profitablity comes in so I watch where I go and some cities I do not like going to at all St. Louis for example I hate going there, I understand some companies are very strong there we do not seem to be or at least I have had longer than usual waits.

Locations that have a track record of long waits the mileage has to be long to go there, Chicago to K.C. it not long enough for me, there are better runs if one can afford to wait another couple of hours or even a day. This strategy, paid off GIANT for me, as the next run which the driver in front of me turned down was a 5 dropper to the N.E. my last drop had another load waiting for me on a Monday AM short run that ran into another 1,700 run than another 1,400 run to Miami, than believe this, that afternoon after Miami I got out of there, than still another and than I was able to sit tight and get one to the house. Now I gambled on turning the run down on Friday afternoon but I did not want to sit in K.C. Sat, Sun, deliver on Monday and be second or wait if I was first, this was back in Mid March.

This is as much or more luck than anything else, but one must be cautious as to in my opinion taking anything that is offered. I also hate turning runs down, but I am in business to do the best for myself and than my company. If they need a favor all they need to do is ask and I will do it for them, with that said they always come trough and make it worth my while. One last thing I am very happy with my company, luck has been on myside but alot of it has been created on my own with the help of my carrier.

This Post has been very educational, and to all that have posted I just want to express my thanks for keeping it professional without dragging it into the mud as I thought it could easily go in that direction, Tennessee, Col. nice comments. As Leo said one persons business plan may not work for another person.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I have a bad habit of when I hear a dispatcher say I need a favor I tend to tune them out a little. I guess that's a flaw I should deal with. When in the service if one of my comrades asked me for a favor weather it was bum a cigarette, help them with cleaning a weapon that maybe I was a lil better with as soon as I did it they would say "I owe you one devildog". And they would always pay back the favor.Maybe not today or tomorrow but if I asked for a something after that point like a ride to town or something they would hook me up. I feel that 90% of the times dispatch askes for a favor they have no intention of returning it. I have had dispatch ask me for one favor. I didn't do it because I had been gone for a month and was about to unload 38 miles from home which was a luck thing because at the time the company thought I lived in ill. for some reason. Dispatch wants me to deadhead from little rock to memphis to pick one up going to kansas city. I told her no I was unloading 38 miles from home and tht's where I'm going. I told her if she could hook me up with one out of kc before i delivered i'd go. She said she wouldn't even try because she was about to go home, and I told her I was to. Last friday dispatch asked for a favor of toledo to chicago I took it and the favor was returned. The first time that has happened in my career. That includes both general,reefer, and expedite trucking. I feel that if I do to many favors and my owner isn't making any money I might be out of a job.