Abortion-should she have gotten the dealth penalty

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You know what I'm done, you will continue to see the Christian nation slant even though you have no evidence to support that assumption and you dismiss any logic suggestion anything to the contrary. Where's your proof?
Decoding this it means you have no proof to back up what you believe so you are trying to convince yourself you are right by claiming I showed no proof. I gave you very solid proof from the Declaration of Independence and I can give you more if you want.

You claim this was supposed to Christian nation as a fact yet we were granted many freedoms including that of religion and except for mention of a creator (that can mean many things, doesn't mean your Christian god, they were being inclusive of all beliefs!) our founding fathers left god out of our country's formation.

So let's ignore the proof that shows you are not correct and use your personal feelings instead?

There is so much proof to suggest we were not meant to be a Christian nation letters, quotes, documents, our motto (which is from many one as in from many different people one country not one religion) and much more. We are not a theocracy...is that not proof of their intentions?!?

If there is so much proof where is it? I am completely willing to look at any proof you have of this claim and be corrected if I am wrong.

Now if you'll excuse me I have cauldron to stir at least until your Christian nation burns me at the stake bc that's what a true Christian nation would do!!!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

A pretty ridiculous statement to make and most people realize that religion has been used to do some horrible things. The comment really has no place in this discussion but I guess when lacking proof it is better to attack.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh and just so you know Thomas Paine was quite important during the founding of our nation...signer or not does not make him irrelevant.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

He was one of many propagandists in our country and he was important but very far from being a founding father.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well that proves my point, you want it to be different so you are grasping for straws. Thomas Paine is not a founding father so his beliefs are irrelevant to this discussion.

US History.org says he was:

http://www.ushistory.org/paine/

But some of us already knew that.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Oh now that's funny...no I'm done bc some men refuse to see anything other than what they want to see...as I'm not alone in my arguments by evidence of 3 others posting the same thing as me, I'll let them either continue or you can pretend you're right. I have more enjoyable things to do then slam my head against the brick wall! And the cauldron jab was another touch of this witch's sarcasm.
Now I'm off to look for other things to do....thanks Turtle, Cheri and Humble for the evidence you all have presented, I've enjoyed reading your well worded and thought out comments! :D

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

paullud

Veteran Expediter
"As the Government of the United States was not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" is a direct and unimpeachable quote from Thomas Jefferson - you can nitpick ['it's not a '"founding document"] but you're just playing with semantics, dude. As Turtle pointed out, IF the Christian religion was what the 'founding fathers' meant, it's what they would have said: explicitly and emphatically.
E pluribus unum doesn't contradict Pandora's point, it proves it: out of many [religions, philosophies, beliefs] one [nation].

The founding fathers knew what they were doing, and what they hoped to accomplish: freedom from religious tyranny.
We still haven't got there, sigh.

How familiar are you with that particular treaty? Did you also know that clause was removed? Is that actually a quote from Jefferson? I can tell you it wasn't, it was taken from the treaty written by Barlow, not Jefferson.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thomas Paine has always been considered a founding father.
You are trying to have a logical debate with someone who is writing their own history and rules. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

BTW - I like the new avatar.

He absolutely has not always been considered a founding father. Granted there are varying definitions of founding father but the fact is that he never served in the military or signed any founding documents.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm stubborn but even I give up after hitting a brick wall a few times! :D
And thanks!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Really you mean the way you attacked my religion and refused to provide any proof of your claims. Your right, how could I not see things your way.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paul, sorry but you're so far out in left field compared with actual history that it's both funny and a little disturbing. You're exhibiting revisionist history on an absurd scale, almost to the point where it's beginning to look like you're trolling. Thomas Paine was, absolutely, one of the Founding Fathers. And if you consider the time frame, and the fact that the Founding Fathers were quite verbose and specific in their writings, if they had meant God, or the Christian God, they wouldn't have used a generic euphemism like "creator" - they would have said "God".

The Declaration of Independence was a declaration to the world not of the rights of men contained within the states united, but the rights of all men everywhere. The truths so started were self-evident that all men, not just the men of this new nation, but all men everywhere were endowed with certain inalienable rights of their creator. They didn't say "The Creator", but their creator. You can't simply attach your beliefs or wishes and rewrite history.

Also, you need to learn what the term "evidence" actually means and what it is, and maybe more importantly what it is not. The fact that they used the term "creator" is not evidence that they meant something else, much less something else as specific as you are trying to attach to it. These were not ambiguous people who left everything they wrote open to interpretation as to the real meaning. They wrote what they meant and meant what they wrote.

Nope I'm not trolling, I just wanted to see proof of why people are saying that we are not a Christian nation. I'm not sure where you think I'm exhibiting revisionist history. God was brought up more than a few times by our founding fathers but people refuse to acknowledge it. The single piece of proof that people try to use was the line from the treaty written by Barlow who was not a founding father. It may appear that things were left open to interpretation but I see that as being a modern day view causing that issue.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
US History.org says he was:

http://www.ushistory.org/paine/

But some of us already knew that.

I said this in a later post but I do understand that the term founding father has no definitive definition. There are certain people that everyone agrees on and there are people like Paine that are debated.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh now that's funny...no I'm done bc some men refuse to see anything other than what they want to see...as I'm not alone in my arguments by evidence of 3 others posting the same thing as me, I'll let them either continue or you can pretend you're right. I have more enjoyable things to do then slam my head against the brick wall! And the cauldron jab was another touch of this witch's sarcasm.
Now I'm off to look for other things to do....thanks Turtle, Cheri and Humble for the evidence you all have presented, I've enjoyed reading your well worded and thought out comments! :D

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Don't get upset over it, we are simply having a discussion about views. Many people smarter than any of us have had the same debate and yet it still goes on. I am perfectly willing to listen, learn, and be wrong. I have my views which have been changed significantly as I continue learning from people. I am looking for the truth in everything and someone simply saying I am right and you are wrong doesn't educate or benefit anyone. You are saying there is proof and I would like to see the proof that convinced you. The only "proof" used against my beliefs was a quote attributed to Jefferson which was incorrect.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
While this may not qualify as "trolling" yet:

From E.O. code of conduct:

"We reserve to lock any thread that has run its course."

I believe that not only has this run it's course but it has run so far off course that it is irretrievable. :eek:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Decoding this it means you have no proof to back up what you believe so you are trying to convince yourself you are right by claiming I showed no proof.
The thing is, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim or assertion. In this case, that would be you. You claimed the Founding Fathers "intended this country to be a Christian country," and furthermore asserted that, "We know our founders intended this country to be a Christian country," which is a logical fallacy attempt to pre-establish something that hasn't been accepted or established, because we do not, in fact, know that. And we do know, in fact, just the opposite by the writings of the Founding Fathers themselves, including what they wrote in the founding document itself, the Constitution. And then you offered up the very weak non-proof proof of, "by giving us guaranteed rights by our Creator," which is an assumption on a grand scale to interpret that that means beyond what was said.

I gave you very solid proof from the Declaration of Independence and I can give you more if you want.
Rather than solid proof, you gave us solid conjecture (the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof) and false assumption (something wrongly and incorrectly taken for granted as being true), and then presented your conclusions, which are based on that conjecture and assumption, as stone-cold fact.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Not one word in there implies the Creator was the Christian God. You certainly can't argue that only Christians are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, or that only Christians have these rights which are not transferable to another or are capable of being taken away (inalienable), because it states quite plainly that these rights apply to "all men", not just Christians and certainly not just Christians of this new nation. Muslims and even Atheists have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, don't they?

That sentence from the Declaration of Independence is one of the best known sentences in the English Language. The reason it's so well known is because it is so painstakingly specific and clear, as a declaration to the world for all men. All of mankind, everywhere. The use of "their" in "their Creator" is a defined pronoun, defined by the reference to "all men", not one defined by some outside reference such as one particular religion. The fact is, every single religion has their own Creation dogma and not all of them agree with each other, and the Founding Fathers were well aware of that fact. They specifically stated that these self-evident rights encompass all men, regardless of who created them, rather than as rights solely limited to a certain set of religions.

On Thomas Paine, you state, "He was one of many propagandists in our country and he was important but very far from being a founding father."

Yet Thomas Paine has a rightful claim to the title The Father of the American Revolution because of his Common Sense pro-independence pamphlet he published in 1776. The Concept of the Founding Fathers arose in the early 1820s as the last survivors of the newly created nation died out. The term was, and still is, applied to large group of people who helped form the framework of a new nation, as well as those who were prominent in the Revolution. People like Thomas Paine, Nathan Hale, John Paul Jones, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Noah Webster, Ethan Allen, Thomas Sumter, James Monroe. None of these people were framers of the Constitution, or signers of the Articles of Confederation, but they were instrumental in founding this nation, and are considered to be Founding Fathers.

As far as the Founding Fathers only being those who served in the military or signed any of the founding documents, during the Revolutionary War, Paine served as a direct aide to Nathanael Greene, a rather important general in the Continental Army. Paine wasn't a member of the military, but he was right there all up in it just the same.

Nope I'm not trolling, I just wanted to see proof of why people are saying that we are not a Christian nation.
Because, the early government in the colonies represented an extension of the English government, and we wanted to get away from that as much as possible. Courts enforced the common law of England. The Governor's Council or the Governor's Court was a body of senior advisers to the governor. As an extension of the English Government, in 1750 Colonial legislature in all 13 colonies required all citizens in the colonies to be members of a church. One of many grievances that precipitated the American Revolution was many people did not want ties to the Church of England specifically, or any particular religion forced upon them, so it was initially reformed under the Episcopal Church. Many stuck with that religion as the nation was being formed, but it was the battle between the Federalists and the Anti-Federalists in Congress and amongst those who were drawing up the Constitution that brought things to a finality. In 1789 the Bill of Rights was created in part specifically out of a growing desire for certain guaranteed rights, with freedom of religion and not having one particular religion forced onto people being one of the major factors in their creation. This desire for a guaranteed freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights stemmed principally from anti-Federalists who demanded separation of church and state at the Philadelphia Convention and would otherwise refuse to sign the Constitution. So make no mistake, some of the Founding Fathers wanted an established state religion, while others absolutely did not. And the did-nots won. That right there is why we are not a Christian nation.

I'm not sure where you think I'm exhibiting revisionist history.
Because you're revising facts to suit your needs, stating assumptions as facts, and viewing and interpreting things through today's concepts and trying to apply that to the 18th century. By any definition you choose, including the one you did, Thomas Paine was a Founding Father, yet you try and marginalize him simply because he wasn't Christian enough to suit you. You suggested that if I look at the times of the day (which is particularly ironic) that "the Creator" can only mean "the Christian God". That's revisionist in the extreme.

God was brought up more than a few times by our founding fathers but people refuse to acknowledge it.
The ones who ignore it are ignoring the facts to suit their own needs, just like the ones who think that because some of the Founding Fathers mentioned God that it means therefore ergo ipso facto we are a Christian Nation. Such a conclusion is an unholy union of religious-political spin and logical fallacy.

The single piece of proof that people try to use was the line from the treaty written by Barlow who was not a founding father.
I've never used it, but it does nonetheless accurately represent the United States and how it was not founded. If it were founded on the Christian religion, then we'd have Christian religious rites as law and we wouldn't have the "no establishment of religion" clause in the Constitution. The fact that some of the Founding Fathers, certainly not all of them, were Christian, does not even remotely translate to the US being founded on the Christian religion.

It may appear that things were left open to interpretation but I see that as being a modern day view causing that issue.
But things weren't left open to interpretation. The facts are quite clear, unambiguous, and cannot be interpreted in any other way than what they plainly state, which is - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof... There is simply no way that can be interpreted to mean the US was founded on the Christian religion. No way, no how. In order to make that claim, you have to make assumptions and interpret the intent of a select few of the Founding Fathers, and then apply that to not only the rest of them, but to the nation as a whole. Yet the history is quite clear on when and why the establishment of religion was abolished and was not placed into the Constitution. It's because the people did not want this country to be founded on any religion at all, much less a specific one. If it had been, the Constitution wouldn't have gotten signed, and it most certainly would not have been ratified by the states, which would have resulted in this nation never having been founded at all.

It's the modern day view, with an agenda, that makes it even able to be interpreted incorrectly.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What is the EO definition of "Trolling"?
Trolling is the word used to describe a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting the members of the forum community.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle you carry around an encyclopedia under that shell? I know history but man you can throw out names, dates and facts like a madman!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sort of. While come of it I have committed to memory, I really don't try and memorize all that, but I do know where to quickly reference things to refresh my memory and make sure I've got my memory and facts straight.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that abounds when people think they know what God's decision are going to be. As for the WORD, there's nothing in it about abortion. Not one. And for nearly 2000 years Christianity was perfectly fine with it. But all of a sudden, it's not. If GOD thinks that the child will be more than the mother can handle, then HE will take that life back. He's done it before. But do you completely discount the possibility that he might do it via abortion, through telling the mother in her heart what to do? God works in mysterious ways, and His understanding is higher than ours and His ways are higher than our ways so take the highway.
Dude it saddens me to se that you dont understand the heart of god the things you are saying are not true if you read study and meditate on the word you will see GODs heart and nature He loves even you turtle and wants to be your GOD I will not argue the matter or get upset I just drove a long time and im tired but I will be praying for you :eek:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hmmmm...while I do not agree with abortion...it is not my place to decide the right or wrong of the issue. That is between the woman and her maker. That being said...it is absolutely NOT the Federal Governments place to do so either. Just where in the Constitution does the abortion issue come up? As far as the States...it is up to the individual states to decide whether or not the issue of abortion is legal.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The thing is, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim or assertion. In this case, that would be you. You claimed the Founding Fathers "intended this country to be a Christian country," and furthermore asserted that, "We know our founders intended this country to be a Christian country," which is a logical fallacy attempt to pre-establish something that hasn't been accepted or established, because we do not, in fact, know that. And we do know, in fact, just the opposite by the writings of the Founding Fathers themselves, including what they wrote in the founding document itself, the Constitution. And then you offered up the very weak non-proof proof of, "by giving us guaranteed rights by our Creator," which is an assumption on a grand scale to interpret that that means beyond what was said.

Rather than solid proof, you gave us solid conjecture (the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof) and false assumption (something wrongly and incorrectly taken for granted as being true), and then presented your conclusions, which are based on that conjecture and assumption, as stone-cold fact.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Not one word in there implies the Creator was the Christian God. You certainly can't argue that only Christians are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, or that only Christians have these rights which are not transferable to another or are capable of being taken away (inalienable), because it states quite plainly that these rights apply to "all men", not just Christians and certainly not just Christians of this new nation. Muslims and even Atheists have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, don't they?

That sentence from the Declaration of Independence is one of the best known sentences in the English Language. The reason it's so well known is because it is so painstakingly specific and clear, as a declaration to the world for all men. All of mankind, everywhere. The use of "their" in "their Creator" is a defined pronoun, defined by the reference to "all men", not one defined by some outside reference such as one particular religion. The fact is, every single religion has their own Creation dogma and not all of them agree with each other, and the Founding Fathers were well aware of that fact. They specifically stated that these self-evident rights encompass all men, regardless of who created them, rather than as rights solely limited to a certain set of religions.

On Thomas Paine, you state, "He was one of many propagandists in our country and he was important but very far from being a founding father."

Yet Thomas Paine has a rightful claim to the title The Father of the American Revolution because of his Common Sense pro-independence pamphlet he published in 1776. The Concept of the Founding Fathers arose in the early 1820s as the last survivors of the newly created nation died out. The term was, and still is, applied to large group of people who helped form the framework of a new nation, as well as those who were prominent in the Revolution. People like Thomas Paine, Nathan Hale, John Paul Jones, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Noah Webster, Ethan Allen, Thomas Sumter, James Monroe. None of these people were framers of the Constitution, or signers of the Articles of Confederation, but they were instrumental in founding this nation, and are considered to be Founding Fathers.

As far as the Founding Fathers only being those who served in the military or signed any of the founding documents, during the Revolutionary War, Paine served as a direct aide to Nathanael Greene, a rather important general in the Continental Army. Paine wasn't a member of the military, but he was right there all up in it just the same.

Because, the early government in the colonies represented an extension of the English government, and we wanted to get away from that as much as possible. Courts enforced the common law of England. The Governor's Council or the Governor's Court was a body of senior advisers to the governor. As an extension of the English Government, in 1750 Colonial legislature in all 13 colonies required all citizens in the colonies to be members of a church. One of many grievances that precipitated the American Revolution was many people did not want ties to the Church of England specifically, or any particular religion forced upon them, so it was initially reformed under the Episcopal Church. Many stuck with that religion as the nation was being formed, but it was the battle between the Federalists and the Anti-Federalists in Congress and amongst those who were drawing up the Constitution that brought things to a finality. In 1789 the Bill of Rights was created in part specifically out of a growing desire for certain guaranteed rights, with freedom of religion and not having one particular religion forced onto people being one of the major factors in their creation. This desire for a guaranteed freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights stemmed principally from anti-Federalists who demanded separation of church and state at the Philadelphia Convention and would otherwise refuse to sign the Constitution. So make no mistake, some of the Founding Fathers wanted an established state religion, while others absolutely did not. And the did-nots won. That right there is why we are not a Christian nation.

Because you're revising facts to suit your needs, stating assumptions as facts, and viewing and interpreting things through today's concepts and trying to apply that to the 18th century. By any definition you choose, including the one you did, Thomas Paine was a Founding Father, yet you try and marginalize him simply because he wasn't Christian enough to suit you. You suggested that if I look at the times of the day (which is particularly ironic) that "the Creator" can only mean "the Christian God". That's revisionist in the extreme.

The ones who ignore it are ignoring the facts to suit their own needs, just like the ones who think that because some of the Founding Fathers mentioned God that it means therefore ergo ipso facto we are a Christian Nation. Such a conclusion is an unholy union of religious-political spin and logical fallacy.

I've never used it, but it does nonetheless accurately represent the United States and how it was not founded. If it were founded on the Christian religion, then we'd have Christian religious rites as law and we wouldn't have the "no establishment of religion" clause in the Constitution. The fact that some of the Founding Fathers, certainly not all of them, were Christian, does not even remotely translate to the US being founded on the Christian religion.

But things weren't left open to interpretation. The facts are quite clear, unambiguous, and cannot be interpreted in any other way than what they plainly state, which is - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof... There is simply no way that can be interpreted to mean the US was founded on the Christian religion. No way, no how. In order to make that claim, you have to make assumptions and interpret the intent of a select few of the Founding Fathers, and then apply that to not only the rest of them, but to the nation as a whole. Yet the history is quite clear on when and why the establishment of religion was abolished and was not placed into the Constitution. It's because the people did not want this country to be founded on any religion at all, much less a specific one. If it had been, the Constitution wouldn't have gotten signed, and it most certainly would not have been ratified by the states, which would have resulted in this nation never having been founded at all.

It's the modern day view, with an agenda, that makes it even able to be interpreted incorrectly.

If you think the 4 references in the Declaration to God aren't clear enough here are some quotes from our founding fathers and other proof that gives a pretty clear view of their beliefs.

“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.”

- George Washington

“It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”

- George Washington

“We have this day [Fourth of July] restored the Sovereign to whom all men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and from the rising to the setting of the sun, let His Kingdom come.”

- Samuel Adams

Congress passed this resolution: “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.”

- United States Congress 1782

“We recognize no sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus.”

- John Adams and John Hancock

“The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.” – John Adams

“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected, in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.”

- John Adams

“As the safety and prosperity of nations ultimately and essentially depend on the protection and the blessing of Almighty God, and the national acknowledgment of this truth is not only an indispensable duty which the people owe to Him.”

- John Adams

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is their duty – as well as privilege and interest – of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

- John Jay

“The only foundation for . . . a republic is to be laid in Religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.”

- Benjamin Rush

“Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.”

- Benjamin Franklin

The list could go on and on which shows the intentions of our founders. I understand that people may feel differently but there is plenty of undeniable proof to show the founders thought we were a Christian nation versus a single line from a treaty that was later removed, written by someone that was not a founding father.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hmmmm...while I do not agree with abortion...it is not my place to decide the right or wrong of the issue. That is between the woman and her maker. That being said...it is absolutely NOT the Federal Governments place to do so either. Just where in the Constitution does the abortion issue come up? As far as the States...it is up to the individual states to decide whether or not the issue of abortion is legal.

Agreed, unfortunately it did become a federal issue which seems to have caused a lot of tension.