1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a ld?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Re: 1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a

Seems to me that we have here the ultimate, champeen roasted goose hunter in our midst. I'm jes kinda wonder'in WHY y'all are wasting yer finger skin??

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter
Re: 1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a

Seems to me that we have here the ultimate, champeen roasted goose hunter in our midst. I'm jes kinda wonder'in WHY y'all are wasting yer finger skin??

I'll start with this one here. We just closed on our trailer today and are heading back to Michigan. So, my internet time will be limited for a couple days.

What I don't want to deal with is a bunch of posts from people who get offended because a driver or O/O is looking for the best deal for himself. I have no problem if you think I'm a prima donna. But please, there is much more you can do with your life than coming onto this thread in the newbie forum implying that I am so. I'm not out to impress anyone, just don't care for any ****ing contests, either. :)

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

You say you need to make money and are willing to stay out to do it, but you're concerned about taking extended time off? One doesn't seem to go with the other.

Generally speaking, there is freedom being an expedited O/O. But, if you take too much advantage of those freedoms you'll lessen your value to whomever you're leased to. Someone that randomly turns down loads because they don't feel like going in that direction on that particular day will quickly become a pain in the backside. I know a team with Landstar that's been with them for about 6 years. I've known the male half of this team for about 10 years and I can tell you that they both are VERY fond of the right to turn down loads. This has a lot to do with how much they sit, but in their mind it's worth it because they're not going to do something they don't want to do. That's certainly not the way I handle this business.

Based on what you've said here, having your own authority may be the best way to go. The only one you have to answer to is you.

Now this here, this is a great post, thank you. Sounds like your friends are happy, Landstar is happy, everyone is happy. Morality has nothing to do with it, good people/bad people, quality of life and control over their lives weights a little heavier with these people even if they earn a little less, and what's wrong with that?

I know how they were on the truckoad side, I just didn't know if it's similar on the expedited.

It's not like I plan to take six weeks off, it's just great to know that freedom is there for you if you need it. Yes, I sometimes stay out months at a time, but I'd be home every week if I had the choice. Just because I look for a contract that involves freedoms doesn't mean I'd use them all. If you look at Landstar's advertising, the freedom to choose is their main sales point. We have to differentiate between the truckloads and expediting, though. They must certainly be different.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Not suggesting that you not post at all. While you will get answers to your questions most of the time, you will only get a true answer if you read back and see all the responses over a period of time from a larger group of people.

Not ragging on you but if you read thru some of your posts its somewhat hard to take your interest in this part of the trucking industry seriously.
Fair enough. I don't know aobut this segment of the industry, that's why I'm asking.

Drive the south during the cold months
Might sound crazy to you, but there are O/Os who get away with it. I do drive the north in the winter, but given a choice, yes, as I said, I'll run my butt off in the summer and run a whole lot less on the ice and snow. Given the choice, 'yes'. I do understand, with most contracts, you don't get that choice.

Take what ever amount of time off whenever wherever you want.
I need to make money, no one has to tell me to get out there and work. It's nice, though, when you're doing it because you want to, not because somebody is implying something is wrong with you if you aren't. Best example of this is a company driver jobs in the big trucks, they don't want their equipment sitting.

Park at the local college after delivery
Yeah, as in get out a book, rest in a big comfy chair, wait for the phone to ring. What's wrong with that? You can't do that with a 53' trailer.

Not wanting to develop a good working relationship with the people that provide you with work for fear of bootlicking.
Nah, there's a difference between having good relationships with people and working the good ol' boy network. Truth is, I don't really like truckers all that much. :D Just give me the load, spare me your version of politics that you learned from Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. Don't care if you want a truckers' strike because of fuel prices, but knock yourself out if you do. Got a slew of felonies? Fantastic! That certainly means you're a tough guy- general trucker talk. Most people know the difference between having to schmooze and just getting along with people.

Driving all night
It's dangerous. Lot's of O/Os have given up on the Red Bull driving. Maybe in expedited you can't, I don't know.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's dangerous. Lot's of O/Os have given up on the Red Bull driving. Maybe in expedited you can't, I don't know.

I would estimate that 70% of my loads are dispatched between 14:00 and 19:00 for immediate pickup. That means driving at night.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

Not wanting to develop a good working relationship with the people that provide you with work for fear of bootlicking.

Nah, there's a difference between having good relationships with people and working the good ol' boy network. Truth is, I don't really like truckers all that much. Just give me the load, spare me your version of politics that you learned from Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. Don't care if you want a truckers' strike because of fuel prices, but knock yourself out if you do. Got a slew of felonies? Fantastic! That certainly means you're a tough guy- general trucker talk. Most people know the difference between having to schmooze and just getting along with people.

hmmm...i might be wrong, but i don't believe any of the dispatchers i work with have ever been "truck drivers"....they are just men and women husling freight that they need covered when they get it and when the shipper needs it delivered.....and they keep track of those that are ready to work when called and don't make a habit of turning down booked loads because the driver doesn't like to go ti a particular city or drive at a certain time of noght or not be in service or only take loads that will keep them warm in the winter...if the freight goes north from Fla to Wisc in dec...all dispatch wants is it covered.....i wouldn't think that woukd be too much to ask...but again, i am just a "vacation expediter".....:rolleyes:

PS: since i have been doing this, i don't think i have ever been on the phone with a dispatcher for more then 5 minutes max....no "schmoozing"...just get me the load info.....

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Now this here, this is a great post, thank you. Sounds like your friends are happy, Landstar is happy, everyone is happy. Morality has nothing to do with it, good people/bad people, quality of life and control over their lives weights a little heavier with these people even if they earn a little less, and what's wrong with that?

LOL, well, I don't know how you interpreted that as everyone's happy, I can assure you that my friends aren't happy and are in a bad financial way. Why they've stayed with Landstar as long as they have is beyond me. It's a system that works very well for some, not so well for others.

Morality? Who said anything about that? Did someone suggest that you steal from someone? I must have missed that. We're just trying to give you our view of how this business might work for you based on the info you've given us. Since you seemed to put a lot of importance on the option of not working, I responded to that.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Seems like a case of trying to mold the industry to your needs. Most of the time it doesn't work.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

After reading all this I think I would recommend a summer time gig delivering pizzas at Dominoes. I believe it will cover all your requirements.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Dunno Dave, me think the response may be that that kinda gig wouldn't provide nuff revenue. Seems we got a trailer to support in the future. Sides, that kinda thing may cause too much demand in that period of time to afford required "freedom".

It's all good tho.

And yess Jazbo, it seems to be the new thing these days, if you don't like the mode of operation, complain or file a law suit to git it right for yourself.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

After reading all this I think I would recommend a summer time gig delivering pizzas at Dominoes. I believe it will cover all your requirements.

Dave if someone said something like that towards you people would start going off, threads would get locked, and everything else. I don't understand how some people like you and the other mods plus the Col. can degrade people all they want, but other people can't. It's bullcrap.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Hey Ark, with your stellar experience with someone handleing your equipment/freight, i'd have figgured you'd be one of the first ones seeing thru this foolishness. What do you need, s'more education by em??

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I skipped over most of this, but here is the thing that stood out;

Landstar is set up with their owner operators so that you enter the system and do whatever it is you want. It's just the way they are set up, they 'broker out' any extra freight. They really don't care. And, that's why people join that company and stay.

Actually that's not how it works.

You as a BCO still have a responsibility to Landstar. I thought FedEx was kind of hard with their rules but you can't do what you want at Landstar. You also have to pay the bills, there are charges that many don't like and some think that just because you are OOS, the insurance and other fees just stop.

The Agents, not brokers, are set up in different ways. Some have their own trucks while others favor some fleet owners. With over 7800 trucks in the fleet, the agents have a lot of choices.

Actually they do care, they have too. It is not simply that the Agent throws some load out and hope someone catches it and if not throw it to some 3PL. I know a few times when an agent threw it at a 3PL while some owners needed a load, the Agent didn't have control over it, they were called on it.

People join Landstar for a number of reasons, one that I think I know why is because the potential if someone applies themselves to doing the job right. If they want to sit back and let the Agents do all the work, they will sit and get discourage. There are many exceptions to this, I know a few who just got frustrated with the system, as mentioned it is not for everyone. Another thing that surprised me was the lack of concern with safety by the owner which put them in a bad situation but with over 7800 trucks in the fleet, Landstar needs to stay on top of safety - go look at their stats.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I was actually serious in my response. Nothing personal, just calling it like I see it, although I guess I could have suggested Papa Johns.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Hey Ark, with your stellar experience with someone handling your equipment/freight, I'd have figured you'd be one of the first ones seeing through this foolishness. What do you need, some more education by them??

It doesn't matter how someone has treated you in the past it doesn't give you a right to demean people, especially people that weren't involved in the prior situation on the computer. You are tough and talk down to everyone when hiding behind that computer screen but I bet your a different person when meeting face to face.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

this fella could just, almost as easily, get his authority and use the load boards to find frt. he can take off time and work when he wants.

to do this and make money requires sacrifice and commitment. hard to show commitment when you come upfront and say i want to take 6 weeks off. what sacrifice is being made on his part upfront? running at all? hard to be taken seriously by us. even harder to be taken seriously by a company who is expecting you to be out driving.

maybe msinger has the right situation. he has a full time job and has someone he can get frt from when he has the time to commit to the load.

reading dakotas posts of lack of work from the main office maybe the place for this fella is ceva. not slamming ceva just saying.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Based on his "requirements" he would sink as a independent. Too many "I don't wannas" and the reoccurring costs with insurance and everything else would burn up any profit he could make. I would still go the pizza route or maybe a contract taxi driver.
But he shouldn't consider expediting "seriously".

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

I guess a disclaimer is in order. Nothing personal with me either. However(coma) There are {some} that seem to come here that truly want info. Problem is many don't have the background or socialzation to know what or how to ask it. To me, if you are serious about info, you don't start out by wondering where you can get a walk board for a fat dog, or which company can I get over on. Just aint natural.

I'm sure the next person you put in your truck will be a stellar individual (if) you forget what you've learned.

And yes, i'm just a absolute SWEETHEART face to face.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Hi,

Two extremes, 1) owner operator for Landstar, you drive where, when, if you want; park the truck at the house for six weeks if you like and no one knows and know one cares.

Maybe we're reading this differently, but does he say I want to take off 6 weeks at a time? All he's doing is asking a question. The question is, is there a carrier that allows total freedom? Instead of answering his question people went to questioning his drive and referred him to a job in the restaurant business. Then you have one person demeaning him. What a way to get new people involved with the site.

If you didn't want to answer to question just pass over it. So who keeps things straight when one of the mods are in one the problem?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Wait a minit, the fella asked for suggestions. The mod gave him one. Whats the problem here?? He can either internalize the suggestion, or, reject it. No problem, Right??

If, in the oppinion of the mod, the fellas range of expertise is in the restaurant buisiness.......so be it.....it were a suggestion. Only!!!

Iszat school yer going to touchy feeley u???

Status
Not open for further replies.