1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a ld?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter
Re: 1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a

After reading all this I think I would recommend a summer time gig delivering pizzas at Dominoes. I believe it will cover all your requirements.

Just got into the motel, I'll start here.

No one has said anything about requirements. But, thanks anyway. ;)

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter
Re: 1st post: any companies give you complete choice over when, where, if you take a

Wait a minit, the fella asked for suggestions. The mod gave him one. Whats the problem here?? He can either internalize the suggestion, or, reject it. No problem, Right??

If, in the oppinion of the mod, the fellas range of expertise is in the restaurant buisiness.......so be it.....it were a suggestion. Only!!!

Iszat school yer going to touchy feeley u???

Here's another quick one. Listen, I'm not looking for all that. If you stay on this thread, it's because you're looking for antagonism, I hope you'll go off to other threads more worthy of your time. No harm no foul.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Seems like a case of trying to mold the industry to your needs. Most of the time it doesn't work.

This is a reasonable post. No, I'm not trying to change the industry, I'm trying to learn about it. In the end, I either adapt to or or stay away. You've heard the expression, 'how do you know if you don't ask'? I'm just asking.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

I would estimate that 70% of my loads are dispatched between 14:00 and 19:00 for immediate pickup. That means driving at night.
Great post, useful information, I really appreciate it.

I once had a temp job delivering bread and Hostess products to stores at night. Everything was going great, but I needed more work and more hours. All the temp service could offer was extra daytime work in addition to my nights, and I can't/won't do that.

Ok, so maybe now I'm talking about a requirement. I either work days or nights, but I can't be up all day and drive all night. One or the other. I suppose I could do it a time or two, but that's not a job I want. Even geeked up on caffeine, I'll be ready to crash sometime around 2 am. In my day, I've done some silly, crazy-tired nighttime driving. It was dangerous and I'm not going to do it anymore. If I've been up all day, somewhere in there I personally need about 5 hours of sleep. If I can't have that, then there isn't much more about expedited driving I need to know. And, that's ok, in my book.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

hmmm...i might be wrong, but i don't believe any of the dispatchers i work with have ever been "truck drivers"....they are just men and women husling freight that they need covered when they get it and when the shipper needs it delivered.....and they keep track of those that are ready to work when called and don't make a habit of turning down booked loads because the driver doesn't like to go ti a particular city or drive at a certain time of noght or not be in service or only take loads that will keep them warm in the winter...if the freight goes north from Fla to Wisc in dec...all dispatch wants is it covered.....i wouldn't think that woukd be too much to ask...but again, i am just a "vacation expediter".....:rolleyes:

PS: since i have been doing this, i don't think i have ever been on the phone with a dispatcher for more then 5 minutes max....no "schmoozing"...just get me the load info.....

I can't remember being cussed at worst than I was from an agent who used to be a driver.

The situation you described sounds good and professional. You can't deny 'favors', though. You can't deny loads that go to dead zones. You can't deny tight delivery timeframes. You can't deny cheap freight (at least in some percentage operations).

There's another situation, dispatchers who've known ol' Charlie for 9 years, or whatever. It happens, dispatchers can give their best loads to a select few. Dispatchers can give their best loads to their own trucks. This might happen more in one operation than another, but it does happen.

If I do go into this, I hope I get into a situation as professional as yours.

I appreciate your posts, but message boards really need to get rid of these 'rolling eye's' smilies. Consider giving them up, they're unbecoming. Now, a tongue wagging smilie :p , that's different! ;)

:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Lowrange: if you're ok with getting that 5 hrs sleep early in the day, then you'll be fine. Sometimes, you have a choice, like the load I'm getting ready to pick up: NJ to Cal, and I can drive days or nights, my choice. [I usually choose nights, as it's quieter].
I've no experience with Landstar, but have to think that if you do the job the agents require, then your availability shouldn't be a problem. If I understand their system, you let the agents know when you're in their area - no way for them to know if you're taking time off, or busy elsewhere, right?
Landstar may be your best choice for that very reason, IMO.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Good!!! End of story I guess. Guess i'll go fish'in myself. Happy goose hunt'in.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

LOL, well, I don't know how you interpreted that as everyone's happy, I can assure you that my friends aren't happy and are in a bad financial way. Why they've stayed with Landstar as long as they have is beyond me. It's a system that works very well for some, not so well for others.

Morality? Who said anything about that? Did someone suggest that you steal from someone? I must have missed that. We're just trying to give you our view of how this business might work for you based on the info you've given us. Since you seemed to put a lot of importance on the option of not working, I responded to that.

I'm just trying to learn the dimensions of this thing, that doesn't mean I'd exercise every privilege I thought I could. Because I'm asking about it this way, there seems to be the implication that I'm lazy or self-centered or I ought to be delivering pizza (ok, that one wasn't implied).

I thought I laid it out pretty clearly in one earlier post, three jobs I've had running from one end of the spectrum to the other. On one end, they give you three days at the house every three weeks, they run the crap out of you if they can get away with it.

At the opposite end, you pick and choose loads off a load board.

Most jobs are between these polar opposites, I'm trying to learn the boundaries.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Lowrange: if you're ok with getting that 5 hrs sleep early in the day, then you'll be fine. Sometimes, you have a choice, like the load I'm getting ready to pick up: NJ to Cal, and I can drive days or nights, my choice. [I usually choose nights, as it's quieter].
I've no experience with Landstar, but have to think that if you do the job the agents require, then your availability shouldn't be a problem. If I understand their system, you let the agents know when you're in their area - no way for them to know if you're taking time off, or busy elsewhere, right?
Landstar may be your best choice for that very reason, IMO.

Hi Cheri,

Thanks. Sounds like this is largely a nighttime job, is that right? Yeah, I can do that, just switching back and forth kicks my a@@!!! :D I'm an olympic-class sleeper, you know? Man, when I crash, I crash hard.

If that's the way Landstar works (on the expedited side) maybe that would be best. I can say this much, I'd rather stay on the road longer, slow and steady, than go out there driving frantically for two weeks just so I can race back to the house.

Cross-country, NJ to Cali, it doesn't get better than that, IMHO. :)

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Good!!! End of story I guess. Guess i'll go fish'in myself. Happy goose hunt'in.

Ah, we can scrap sometime, no problem.

The British have an expression, it's called 'taking the **** out of someone'. I'm all about that, when it's fun. You know message boards, though, there are all kinds on them, aren't there? Maybe I'm just a new kind for you, ya think? :D

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Dave if someone said something like that towards you people would start going off, threads would get locked, and everything else. I don't understand how some people like you and the other mods plus the Col. can degrade people all they want, but other people can't. It's bullcrap.

LOL Semper Fi, devil dog!

EdgarBaker

Not a Member

Sure it was out of line for a moderator to suggest that you go deliver pizzas. Even though Dominos were the original expedite company---30 minutes or free. It is still a classless dig at you.

Your question about taking the 6 weeks off if you want will only be answered when you try it. It is probably most likely that you will find it difficult to bank enough reserves to take those 6 weeks in the first place. I would suggest find a company that will take you and your vehicle then run your but off for them, and see how much you can bank before even worrying about prolonged time off. If you are overly worried about those Red Bull nights, you will probably find out that you are missing some of the most profitable load offers. The tighter the constraints of the load the less time the shipper has to shop for their best price.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

I skipped over most of this, but here is the thing that stood out;

Actually that's not how it works.

You as a BCO still have a responsibility to Landstar. I thought FedEx was kind of hard with their rules but you can't do what you want at Landstar. You also have to pay the bills, there are charges that many don't like and some think that just because you are OOS, the insurance and other fees just stop.

The Agents, not brokers, are set up in different ways. Some have their own trucks while others favor some fleet owners. With over 7800 trucks in the fleet, the agents have a lot of choices.

Actually they do care, they have too. It is not simply that the Agent throws some load out and hope someone catches it and if not throw it to some 3PL. I know a few times when an agent threw it at a 3PL while some owners needed a load, the Agent didn't have control over it, they were called on it.

People join Landstar for a number of reasons, one that I think I know why is because the potential if someone applies themselves to doing the job right. If they want to sit back and let the Agents do all the work, they will sit and get discourage. There are many exceptions to this, I know a few who just got frustrated with the system, as mentioned it is not for everyone. Another thing that surprised me was the lack of concern with safety by the owner which put them in a bad situation but with over 7800 trucks in the fleet, Landstar needs to stay on top of safety - go look at their stats.

/cough/ I was a BCO for two years on the truckload side. We can have a discussion about Landstar, if you like.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Sure it was out of line for a moderator to suggest that you go deliver pizzas. Even though Dominos were the original expedite company---30 minutes or free. It is still a classless dig at you.

Your question about taking the 6 weeks off if you want will only be answered when you try it. It is probably most likely that you will find it difficult to bank enough reserves to take those 6 weeks in the first place. I would suggest find a company that will take you and your vehicle then run your but off for them, and see how much you can bank before even worrying about prolonged time off. If you are overly worried about those Red Bull nights, you will probably find out that you are missing some of the most profitable load offers. The tighter the constraints of the load the less time the shipper has to shop for their best price.

It sounds like I'd be better off setting myself up for the nighttime runs and turning down the daytime stuff, if that's too much. I could do that. Actually, I do like the nighttime. It's just, days and nights, back and forth, wears-me-out.

On the money side, I'm a big boy, I know what I have to do. That's what I was saying earlier, I know the money I need to make, I don't need to be pushed. And, fortunately for me, the house is paid for, monthly bills are low, so yeah, I can entertain outside interests.

I can think of one instance where I might take 6 weeks off, given the opportunity. You get back to the house mid December, you do all the holidays including the bowl games, and 'yes' I can imagine just skipping all the cheap freight, dead time and icy roads of January, while doing something else. I'm not saying I demand that time off, but if I have the opportunity... I don't know expedited, but truckload rates and volumes are down in the winter while the risk, danger and discomfort is up.

I appreciate your experienced opinion.

Last edited:

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Maybe we're reading this differently, but does he say I want to take off 6 weeks at a time? All he's doing is asking a question. The question is, is there a carrier that allows total freedom? Instead of answering his question people went to questioning his drive and referred him to a job in the restaurant business. Then you have one person demeaning him. What a way to get new people involved with the site.

If you didn't want to answer to question just pass over it. So who keeps things straight when one of the mods are in one the problem?
You're an ok dude! You know, just asking. If it's cool, if it's allowed, might want to do it sometime. If it isn't cool, if it isn't allowed...gotta ask, right?

Seriously though, truckload side, Landstar, they just don't care.

EdgarBaker

Not a Member

It sounds like I'd be better off setting myself up for the nighttime runs and turning down the daytime stuff, if that's too much. I could do that. Actually, I do like the nighttime. It's just, days and nights, back and forth, wears-me-out.

On the money side, I'm a big boy, I know what I have to do. That's what I was saying earlier, I know the money I need to make, I don't need to be pushed. And, fortunately for me, the house is paid for, monthly bills are low, so yeah, I can entertain outside interests.

I can think of one instance where I might take 6 weeks off, given the opportunity. You get back to the house mid December, you do all the holidays including the bowl games, and 'yes' I can imagine just skipping all the cheap freight, dead time and icy roads of January, while doing something else. I'm not saying I demand that time off, but if I have the opportunity... I don't know expedited, but truckload rates and volumes are down in the winter while the risk and danger is up.

I appreciate your experienced opinion.

The thing is after you have sat a few days in various areas. It gets really old really fast. You pushed yourself all night to make a morning delivery. Then your dispatch says that they have another load if you are up to it. You have every right to say no thanks, but be forewarned that next offer might be 3 days later. It can be a very tough decision. Especially on a Friday morning in a dead area.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

The thing is after you have sat a few days in various areas. It gets really old really fast. You pushed yourself all night to make a morning delivery. Then your dispatch says that they have another load if you are up to it. You have every right to say no thanks, but be forewarned that next offer might be 3 days later. It can be a very tough decision. Especially on a Friday morning in a dead area.

Sounds like being tired is just part of the game, in expedited. It's definitely something to look at. Me, I'd rather sit than be really tired. I know some people seem to sleep less, but I've just done some stuff in the past I shouldn't have done. I never had to pay for it, but looking back, I had no business being on the road.

Actually, I do have one little story, though I wasn't working at the time. My reserve unit had an early morning muster, and I was driving my dad's pick up. I actually did fall asleep and bent my rim in a small culvert. Can't remember what happened, it was long ago, I think I had to stop and change the tire. When I got back I lied to the ol' man and said I hit a pothole, didn't dare tell him I fell asleep driving his truck. He had a hard time believing a pothole did that to the rim but he didn't say a whole lot. LOL

You'd think I learned from that, but there were some stupid nights in a big truck, too. Thank God, I never had to pay for my foolishness.

I can sit, if I have to. If it's for a weekend, and I'm driving a c/v, I can find a cheap motel on Hotwire or something. You can't blow all your money on motels, but you can spend some if it's in the budget, and you just write them off. As I said earlier, I'm unattached. Being able to stay out for longer periods is something I can bring to the table that another driver may not.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Well Cr*p that didn't come out of your first post, did it? :)

If you know the game and assume something different, there isn't much difference to any side of the pentagon.

lowrange

Seasoned Expediter

Well Cr*p that didn't come out of your first post, did it? :)

If you know the game and assume something different, there isn't much difference to any side of the pentagon.
There'd probably be a whole lot less turn over in the trucking industry if companies would grasp the concept that our lives have their twists and turns and everyone can't consistently live according to a strict schedule. I had a lot of job changes until I got my own truck and got a little control over my life. Sometimes you think you need a change, when all you really need is a break.

Some companies are getting it. IIRC, Roehl has tried week on, week off gigs. I think there was actually one job where you worked the summers and took the winters off. Would you rather give a guy some flexibility and have him stay with you for five years or would you rather have your drivers and O/Os on a tight leash only to have them quitting when they break up with a girlfriend, or whatever?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Great post, useful information, I really appreciate it.

I once had a temp job delivering bread and Hostess products to stores at night. Everything was going great, but I needed more work and more hours. All the temp service could offer was extra daytime work in addition to my nights, and I can't/won't do that.

Ok, so maybe now I'm talking about a requirement. I either work days or nights, but I can't be up all day and drive all night. One or the other. I suppose I could do it a time or two, but that's not a job I want. Even geeked up on caffeine, I'll be ready to crash sometime around 2 am. In my day, I've done some silly, crazy-tired nighttime driving. It was dangerous and I'm not going to do it anymore. If I've been up all day, somewhere in there I personally need about 5 hours of sleep. If I can't have that, then there isn't much more about expedited driving I need to know. And, that's ok, in my book.

In this biz you need to learn to sleep when you can. One day it might be two in the afternoon the next 8 am and the next 2am. Like others said most times you will be driving at night it is just the nature of the beast. You also may sit for 3, 4 days with no load far from home and then have to run hard for 14 hours or more with some companies the next day or two so you can get some decent miles for the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.