August location

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
did you go back and get it?
Yes we did, I was so nervous when I realized I had left. We just bought it in June.

Made it to the delivery on time also and they had delayed our pick up by 4.5 hours, so I had absolutley no open window of time. But all is good.

Just now delivering to Anderson, IN, then heading home for the rest of the weekend. We will be celebrating our grand daughter's first birthday and meeting her new brother who was born on the 11th. Looking very forward to seeing the grandbabies!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Dennis is such a daredevil...he coulda came to my place and I'd take him to ride some bulls....:D

I think he'd rather ride out Irene. *l*

After talking with my wife this morning, sounds like its gonna be a non event for Baltimore. Some rain, wind about 40 gusts to 50 and maybe about a 1' surge.

After it hits the Carolinas, my guess is it will probably follow the steering currents of the Gulf stream where the warm water is.

That would follow with the current track of 100 miles off the Eastern Shore. The gulf stream this time of year usually turns NE just before Long Island and heads to the Mediterranean. Leaving the east coast on the "clean" side of the storm atleast until it gets near Long Island. Then it all depends on how strong the Bermuda High is and its location as to whether the storm came follow the stream or gets pushed north.

Going in to a evacuation zone is usually the easy part. It's getting out with all the late traffic and lack of services like fuel.

On areas that normally don't deal with hurricane situations, the emergency planners seem to always be a day late.

For example, opening up the inbound side of an interstate to outbound including off ramps.

When we evacuated Clearlake Tx in 2005 for Rita, it was a mess. Took 30 hours to get to Austin. Normally a 3.5 hour drive. The powers that be closed all the exit ramps off of 45. It took 12 hrs to get from Clearlake to north Houston. People were running out of fuel and bareing all on the road side. Then some one had the bright idea to get fuel trucks along the roadside. Might have worked except ya can't get a 6" nozzle into a 1.5" hole.
After we made to Austin, we heard on the news that the south bound side of 45 was open to north bound traffic. Wasn't much traffic left. Stuff like that seems to worsen the evac process.

I can only imagine what the nightmare would have been had this maintained a cat 4 strength. Trying to move 10 million people a few hundred miles in a couple of days would be disastrous. Just my take on it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Empty in NJ, totally uneventful...no rain no wind, just some sprinkle as they unloaded..and that was over as i left...but its coming, so i am on my way out of dodge, dinner in Hagerstown tonight...

and as far as ridin bulls, ahhh i think i lasted 6 secs on a "mechanical bull once or twice back in the day....thyats as far as my bull ridin goes, nothing "alive" for me...:)

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
5 or 6 units in the path of it. Doesn't look like it is going to be as bad as they predicted. But we are paying to relocate all of the units out of the area just to be safe.

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
5 or 6 units in the path of it. Doesn't look like it is going to be as bad as they predicted. But we are paying to relocate all of the units out of the area just to be safe.
Thanks for the concern John. Better to error on the side of caution.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to say a personal welcome to the newest member of the Load ! family. Welcome Turtle nice to have you onboard.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thank you kind sir.

Glad to be here. I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
Just noticed on Pilots website that the power has been out at the Pilot I was at in Richmond. Got a little rough in that area. Glad Load One decided to move us that were close to the east coast away from there. No sense dealing with those kind of problems if you dont have to.