Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
Potatoes and onions

Potatoes (sliced thin)
Onions (sliced thin)
Butter
Salt
Pepper

layer potatoes, onions, dot with butter and season to taste. Repeat layers until desired amount is achieved. Cook by using one of the following methods below

Method 1-Layer in a casserole dish and covered with plastic wrap. Cook on high in the microwave for approximately 10 minutes or until tender.

or​

Method 2- make an aluminum foil pouch, layer as stated above and seal the pouch tight. Put it on the grill and turn it over half way thru cooking. grill time about 10 minutes or until tender.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Lamb does not seem very popular here in the USA, which is a shame :(

For those who have not tried lamb, it has a more "delicate" taste than beef and absolutely delicious.

I managed to find lamb cuts in a Giant Eagle the other day :)

Lamb Loin Chops are best for braising/stewing.

I cooked these in the skillet, slowly, for about 20 minutes each side.

Toward the end of cooking time, I added mushroom gravy with a good heaped teasp of Mint jelly mixed in.

Served up with creamy mash potatoes (Ore-lda Steam & Mash) and microwave/steam veggies ......

Absolutely yummy :D :p

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
EL how dare you!

koolaid.gif

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Lamb does not seem very popular here in the USA, which is a shame :(

For those who have not tried lamb, it has a more "delicate" taste than beef and absolutely delicious.

I managed to find lamb cuts in a Giant Eagle the other day :)

When I was very young, I thought there was something about Easter being the only time you could eat lamb. Like some religious rule, lol.
We always had lamb at Easter and always with mint jelly! It'll probably be easier to find it for a few weeks...

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
When I was very young, I thought there was something about Easter being the only time you could eat lamb. Like some religious rule, lol.
We always had lamb at Easter and always with mint jelly! It'll probably be easier to find it for a few weeks...

We call that Spring Lamb :)

Lamb is popular in the UK, and up until last night it had been 17 months since I had last eaten lamb :eek:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Hi there, just looking for some advice

I just started driving a Sprinter for a company and I was prepared for life on the road, I freeze about 8 bottles of water, put another 4-6 cold bottles of water in the cooler. Luckily I'm a company driver and they put me up in hotels, so I can refreeze my water.

I've been buying oscar myer sub meat packages, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, (too much ranch dip), trail mix, jerky and granola bars.

But I know I'm going to get sick of the subs soon. What do you do to mix things up? Unfortunately I don't have a microwave for all those cool mug recipes.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Hi there, just looking for some advice

I just started driving a Sprinter for a company and I was prepared for life on the road, I freeze about 8 bottles of water, put another 4-6 cold bottles of water in the cooler. Luckily I'm a company driver and they put me up in hotels, so I can refreeze my water.

I've been buying oscar myer sub meat packages, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, (too much ranch dip), trail mix, jerky and granola bars.

But I know I'm going to get sick of the subs soon. What do you do to mix things up? Unfortunately I don't have a microwave for all those cool mug recipes.

This time of year it's easy to find the small grills (either charcoal or propane). Then just go to the grocery store and let your imagination go wild. Remember, if you are craving something not normally grilled, foil is your friend. In a foil pouch put some beef stew meat, diced potatoes, carrots, onion, some beef bouillon, along with some of your water and enjoy beef stew for dinner.
For cooking in your hotel room, a rice cooker takes up very little space and is extremely versatile. I don't know what I'd do without mine, might even use it for rice sometime. I mainly use it for pastas, chili, meatloaf, roastbeast.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Rice cooker $18 at Walmart. 8 cup non stick simple warm/cook selection. Fries, boils, etc. Can of beans, can of weenies, free pack of ketchup from pilot and free pack of sugar, cook five minutes while texting. The Anthony wiener expedite special!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Best money I ever spent was buying the rice cooker as it cooks and warms the water to wash utensils...

The new truck has a convection oven and I still pull out my trusty Rice Cooker I have been using for 5 years and it still keeps on going and going and going.

I took my crock pot out of the truck as it was to cumbersome and to slow.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Rice cooker $18 at Walmart. 8 cup non stick simple warm/cook selection. Fries, boils, etc. Can of beans, can of weenies, free pack of ketchup from pilot and free pack of sugar, cook five minutes while texting. The Anthony wiener expedite special!

This does sound interesting, opens up some possibilities, soups, beans etc...

Does it work off the standard small lighter inverter? Cooking in hotels isn't really an option, I only get them late at night to sleep. I spend most of my days between state parks, libraries and mcdonalds / walmart parking lots.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
please help......lol.......in a cargo van there isnt much room for stuff. can any of my fellow expediters help me out on easy but sort of heathly ways of cooking or preparing meals. like i said please keep in mind space is limited. thanks very much

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
please help......lol.......in a cargo van there isnt much room for stuff. can any of my fellow expediters help me out on easy but sort of heathly ways of cooking or preparing meals. like i said please keep in mind space is limited. thanks very much
Have you checked out the much admired rice cookers? They take up about a cubic foot of space.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

If you own the van, and passengers are rare, replacing the passenger seat with a MicroFridge combo is a great option. For one person, frozen meals [I call them all Lean Cuisine, but they're just as likely to be Boston Market or Stouffers] is more economical than restaurants, and healthier than fast food. Supplement with fresh fruit and veggies as much as possible, cereal, and sandwiches - you're good for the week.
PS The rice cooker [Black & Decker] is 500 watts - and worth upsizing the inverter for, IMO. :)

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
For those of you with an APU have you tried a Foreman Grill? They make a medium sized one with removable grills for easy cleaning. One of them has a griddle plate for even MORE versatility. Couldn't live without it! Grill up some onions, peppers, and roasted garlic ... goes with almost anything and even FROZEN meat is ready in minutes. Steaks, chicken, pork chops straight out of the freezer are DONE in about 7 to 10 minutes. Pork tenderloin roasts are EASILY cooked on the Foreman and the cold leftovers are a quick yummy snack for protein going down the road. The biggest problem most people have is OVER cooking with it when they first get it thinking that their food can't possibly be done that quickly. I can cook up an ENORMOUS breakfast in about the time it takes at a restaurant and at a FRACTION of the price. Eggs, Oscar Meyer already cooked bacon, "Simply Potatoes", and some toast ... along with any of the leftover onions. peppers, garlic that I cooked up over the weekend and it's either served on a plate or put together on the toast to make an egg sandwich.

Linda, have you tried using your micro/convection oven as a slow cooker? I have a large Pyrex bowl that I use to make soups and pot roast while layed over. Cooking on the convection mode at 250 for about the same time as a crock pot will give you the same results. Obviously I have the same micro/convection oven and there is very little I can't cook in the truck that I couldn't cook at the house.

http://www.georgeforemancooking.com/p-8-the-next-grilleration.aspx

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Have you checked out the much admired rice cookers? They take up about a cubic foot of space.

Ok I finally got a chance to look into these and I'm suprised at the size. They are pretty much the size of a crock pot. I was imagining something much smaller.

What is the difference between a rice cooker and a crock pot?

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Ok I just got back from Walmart and I see they are actually smaller than a crock pot about half the size. I'm debating between a 6 cup that has a glass lid and a 8 cup that has a closed lid kind of like a deep fryer. I'm guessing the attached snap lid is better for a moving vehicle.

Also, can you eat right out of the interior dish, or will it be too hot to touch? aka do I need to bring another bowl?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Ok I finally got a chance to look into these and I'm suprised at the size. They are pretty much the size of a crock pot. I was imagining something much smaller.

What is the difference between a rice cooker and a crock pot?
One cooks rice and one cooks crock. The rice cooker can also be used as a steamer. The insert mine is aluminum is too hot to use as a dish. If you want cheap dishes go to Gordon food service and they have lots of different disposeable containers. Then no dishes to wash

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I use the one with the lid that locks in place. The one at home does not and the steam makes a huge mess usually.