On the Road Recipes

Discussion in 'Women's View' started by pelicn, Oct 8, 2008.

1. NightDriver
    Wishful

NightDriver Seasoned Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Someone mentioned Ziploc Zip n' Steam bags a long time ago, but I can't find the thread now.

We used them all summer to steam up fresh veggies, whether to devour as is or use in a recipe (like steaming new potatoes for a fresh spinach and potato salad, or quickly blanching asparagus for a breakfast scramble, or steaming field fresh corn on the cob for a salty-buttery feast). They perform really well and cleanup is a quick pivot and a three point shot into the trashcan. Love that!

I bring them up again because I came across a web site with lots of recipes using them as the cooking method. Included are recipes featuring fish and poultry, as well as lots of fresh veggies:

Recipes - ZiplocĀ® brand

Can't wait to try that Sesame Garlic Broccoli.

2. BillChaffey

BillChaffey Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator US Navy

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Carrier:
    Off the road for now
    In the latest issue of Land Line magazine there is an article about cooking on the road.

• Jenny

Jenny Veteran Expediter

Ratings:
      +403 / 0 / -0
      I have started spending the weekends cooking our meals for the next week or two, and vacuum sealing it. Some of our favorites are fajitas, tacos, spaghetti and meatballs, shrimp fried rice, red beans and rice. I also make fudge, mouse, and cheesecakes.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

• TeamCaffee
      EO4ME

TeamCaffee Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +1,702 / 0 / -0
      Carrier:
      Landstar Express America
      Vehicle:
      2015 Straight Truck
      Jenny I talked with another driver this past weekend that also prepares all of their meals this way. I think that is a great idea and I will concentrate more on getting that done. Great list of foods also.

Do you have any ideas for breakfasts? That is a meal I struggle with as I get up so much earlier then Bob I need to make something or heat up something for breakfast that does not make a lot of noise to create.

• Jenny

Jenny Veteran Expediter

Ratings:
      +403 / 0 / -0
      Just saw this for some reason. Easy things we do for breakfast:
      I buy precooked turkeh sausage patties and crumbles, use them for easy breakfast tacos. Egg beaters cook up in the microwave nice and easy in just a few minutes. You can make an omelette or scrambled eggs with them. I have a toaster so we have bagels, toasts etc. I also use egg beaters to make french toast. I buy the pancake mix in a jar that you add water and shake. This morning we had christmas pancakes. [​IMG][​IMG]
      I have made ALL kinds of things using our skillet.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

• TeamCaffee
      EO4ME

TeamCaffee Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +1,702 / 0 / -0
      Carrier:
      Landstar Express America
      Vehicle:
      2015 Straight Truck
      IMG_0447.jpg

Asparagus & Ham twice baked potatoes

2 Baking Potatoes
      bunch of Asparagus cut into 1/2" pieces
      1 cup diced ham
      1/2 cup diced onion
      1/2 cup shredded cheese I used smoked cheddar
      pepper
      1/2 stick butter

Bake potatoes in microwave until a fork can be easily inserted. Cut off top 1/3rd and set aside to cool.

Using rice cooker add about 2" of water and place the Asparagus in the steamer. Steam until Asparagus just starts to get tender.

Mix melted butter with onion, asparagus, diced ham, and pepper to taste. When potatoes are cool enough to handle scoop out the potato GENTLY if they tear it will still work they are just not as easy to handle. Place the scooped out potato with the Asparagus mixture and mash the potato in with the ingredients.

Place this mixture back in the potato and pile high and then top with the cheese. I placed the extra Asparagus mixture in a bowl to be eaten later. Microwave until cheese is melted and everything is warm.

About 386 Calories.