FedEx Custom Critical ???? Are they what they say they are??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Because they don't look at it in those terms - a team vehicle is presumed to be set up to allow team operation. That it wasn't initially doesn't mean the owner hasn't made changes since then, which isn't dispatch's job to keep up with - they offer the load, the driver accepts or declines. In this situation, a responsible driver would have declined, knowing the load may well be two skids, if that would be 'unsafe' for him to deliver.;)

Oh yes, I forgot....... dumbed down for today's new brand of workers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can be deemed to be as independent as you like but you may not have many customers or the ability to maintain a viable business if your customer services skills do not include keeping your customer satisfied with your service.

Bingo!!!
How does any carrier keep customers satisfied if they send the requested vehicle, but the driver refuses the load because it's two skids instead of one? How does the carrier explain it to the customer without looking foolish?
That's just not acceptable.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Personally.... if I were getting an average of 10,000 paid miles per month in a regular unextended cargo van that didn't have a sleeper, I have a feeling I'd be fairly content. I wouldn't want to rock that boat. Even if I couldn't fall asleep anywhere, anytime, I would find a way to have done it that time, after accepting the load even knowing that if it wasn't the exact same thing as offered, I wouldn't want to do it.

If I happened to screw up, then I wouldn't go calling the company and complaining about being put out of service for it. And I wouldn't post the details on a public site where it is known that my carrier will read it or hear about it.

I wouldn't want to risk my contract being terminated.

That said, now that your contract is terminated Pookie, it sounds like you're going to get to follow your own advice not to contract on with such a carrier. You're probably better off going with a small carrier, one who can keep track of different specs for different vehicles and teams and idiosyncrasies. Best wishes for the future.

Reactions: 1 person

pookie8me

Not a Member
LOL....i like how everyone tells me what I mean when I say something.....but I have said I'm not always good at explaining things....When I am fresh I could do 24-36 or so run...but it would take me two days to recover.....just saying everyone acts like oh just take it and deal with it.......well no....if you are to run safe night after night then you need to manage yourself......it's called sleep dept and all that stuff I posted earlier....you guys don't get it.

Bruno...booo booo booo...what happened? LOL

My lease mentions nothing about posting......so how is one to learn if you don't share......what's the big secret?

nothing is presumed.......my lease does not have specs required.....those specs are posted from website.....and van was measured by people on first day of class.....nothing has changed in van...still same.......and nothing says what I have to do in lease......

loads change so it's a new load.......new offer....so your guys are saying if I show up and load does not pick up for 3 days I have to take it? or load has changed to go to Canada I have to take it? or load went from 1000 miles to 50 miles I have to take it? or load went from 1 skid to 2 I have to take it? come on........How am I an independent contractor if I have no choice? each load offer is contract

90% of b loads are 1 skid or smaller under 1000 pounds or so......50% of loads under 500 and about 25% weigh less then 20 pounds...LOL...well pretty light.....passing on loads is no big deal.....paperwork for pay was always good, kept busy most of time, and 95% of people were very nice......I'm not whining or crying about money......I'm ****ed and distraught about safety......Driver is responsible for safe conditions......PERIOD.....I know you guys or girls think you are rambo or rambette...LOL....but I know what I can do and can't do and I run smart and safe.

Hey food for thought........If people that run safe are let go who is left? risky drivers? scared drivers? unsafe drivers? drivers with bad judgement? etc.

Can someone tell me if we were running good? as far as miles and loads run? don't start with that funny stuff.....don't write about what does good mean....LOL....is that what other trucks do...

BTW I have CDL A went to truck school and went to Schneider National Tanker School......Learned a lot about road stress and sleep dept, mirco sleep and etc. of course you guys are all healthy folks with healthy brains....

pjjjjjj your a good writer.....are you a driver? just wondering

Bruno...boo boo boo...LOL

sorry I can't respond to all........

pookie8me

Not a Member
Hey.....if i'm tired I can still be in service....load offers may be for next day....or for monday.........or 12 hours away.......my choice to choose what load I can safely run.

I don't really care what some of you can run safe or not.....I believe and or hope that you would be safe.... you are legally responsible to do so.......so why are you telling me? The thread had a question and I said what happened to me.....like it or not

this winter we have seen maybe over 100 accidents....trucks, cars, everything.......people driving crazy and unsafe.....even a few deaths......is it worth it? we are told to be safe....."have a safe trip"......but when I don't feel safe it's a service issue...come on....for real?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We have two scenarios:

Scenario One: the overwhelmingly vast majority, 98%, 99%, probably 99.9934% of all the drivers, owner/operators, fleet owners, brokers, carriers and dispatchers in the expediting industry have been doing it wrong all these years. No one knows what they are doing, what they are talking about, or how the industry works. Thankfully, they now have Pookie to open their eyes and let them see the light, to show everyone in the industry the error of their ways. All hail Pookie.

Scenario Two: Pookie doesn't really understand the industry, doesn't understand what a leased independent contractor means, doesn't understand his lease contract, especially where it includes carrier policies as a part of the contract even though they are not implicitly stated in the contract, and doesn't understand that in order to get the lease contract in the first place that certain minimum equipment was contractually agreed to and guaranteed, and he doesn't understand that every load offer is predicated on the lease contract.

Now, which one of the two above scenarios seems the most likely to be true?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
LOL....i like how everyone tells me what I mean when I say something.....but I have said I'm not always good at explaining things....When I am fresh I could do 24-36 or so run...but it would take me two days to recover.....just saying everyone acts like oh just take it and deal with it.......well no....if you are to run safe night after night then you need to manage yourself......it's called sleep dept and all that stuff I posted earlier....you guys don't get it.

Pookie8me who bought the van? You did, Is it FedEX Custom Critical fault that you didn't buy a Van that had enough room for a bed? The customer fills all the space in the van that they are paying for and your saying it all FedEx CC fault. WRONG, the person that is at fault is Pookie8me.

Bruno...booo booo booo...what happened? LOL

Nothing I been in this business 17 years and was at FedEx 14 of them.

My lease mentions nothing about posting......so how is one to learn if you don't share......what's the big secret?

It may not say that, but is doesn't say they don't have to keep your contract with FedEx CC. They can send you a letter that says your lease is being terminated within the next 10 days.

nothing is presumed.......my lease does not have specs required.....those specs are posted from website.....and van was measured by people on first day of class.....nothing has changed in van...still same.......and nothing says what I have to do in lease......

You choose not to service the customer, which is in the lease.

loads change so it's a new load.......new offer....so your guys are saying if I show up and load does not pick up for 3 days I have to take it? or load has changed to go to Canada I have to take it? or load went from 1000 miles to 50 miles I have to take it? or load went from 1 skid to 2 I have to take it? come on........How am I an independent contractor if I have no choice? each load offer is contract

No you don't have to sit at the customers for 3 days. FedEx will dry run if you do. n't want to sit on this load for 3 days. Just because the customer adds one skids doesn't mean that the load really changed. The customer pays for it and can use the space they are paying for.

90% of b loads are 1 skid or smaller under 1000 pounds or so......50% of loads under 500 and about 25% weigh less then 20 pounds...LOL...well pretty light.....passing on loads is no big deal.....paperwork for pay was always good, kept busy most of time, and 95% of people were very nice......I'm not whining or crying about money......I'm ****ed and distraught about safety......Driver is responsible for safe conditions......PERIOD.....I know you guys or girls think you are rambo or rambette...LOL....but I know what I can do and can't do and I run smart and safe.

Hey food for thought........If people that run safe are let go who is left? risky drivers? scared drivers? unsafe drivers? drivers with bad judgement? etc.

If you was worried about being safe you would have bought a van with enough room that one person could sleep while the other person drives.

Can someone tell me if we were running good? as far as miles and loads run? don't start with that funny stuff.....don't write about what does good mean....LOL....is that what other trucks do...

Doesn't really matter what we think. What matters is what you think. It's your van.

Bruno...boo boo boo...LOL

What are you crying about, thats what rookies do.

sorry I can't respond to all........

Really.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They couldn't use names and unit numbers, but they could confirm it in vague terms. It seems to me that they've done that in the past. I think it was some story about a trip to PEI Canada?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Allow me to clarify my statement.

I am beholden to no one. By this, I mean that I am not obligated to run any particular load.

Neither is a FedEx Custom Critical contractor. We can decline any load offer we wish.

If somebody calls me and I'm not within a reasonable range, or under another load, then I can't very well run it, can I?

Nor can a FedEx Custom Critical contractor.

Since you are leased to Fedex, you cannot run loads for anybody else, is that not correct?

That is not correct. Our lease permits us to run loads for other shippers independent of FedEx. We can also run loads that we find on our own and run under our carrier's authority through their "Home Run" program. Diane and I seldom do so because it is more trouble than it is worth, but it can be done without putting our lease in jepordy.

Therefore, while you are in fact a contractor, you are not an independent contractor. You can refuse loads, true enough. However, without your own authorities and insurance policies in place, you can't get your own load from boards like DAT360 or getloaded.com, right? Right.

Your premise is incorrect on two counts. First, Independent contractor status is not determined by how you buy your insurance or who you get it from. You are legally required to have it no matter what kind of authority you run under. For IRS purposes, your source of insurance is irrelevant in determining independent contractor status. If our insurance was given to us by our carrier and we had no other choice as to where to get it, that would be different. But as FedEx Custom Critical independent contractors, we buy our own insurance from souces we deem best.

Second, we can indeed get loads off load boards like the ones you mentioned. Diane and I have done that very thing when finding freight on our own. Again, we seldom do it, but it can be done.

If I am not mistaken, you are on a group insurance policy which you obtained through channels at Fedex. You are simply not covered to do work for anybody else.

You are mistaken. Insurance coverage varies from contractor to contractor. We are not required to buy our insurance through FedEx channels. We are only required to have insurance as a condition of maintaining our lease. Many contractors buy their insurance through FedEx because the group policy costs less than individual coverage and the claims service is generally good. Having such coverage does not preclude us from buying additional coverage from other sources if such coverage was needed to run freight for someone else while also maintaining a lease with FedEx Custom Critical.

I can walk into any shipper and negotiate a load on the spot, present my insurance certificates, even have them named on a cert within 30 minutes and faxed directly to them by my insurance carrier (during west coast business hours), and drive out with their freight if they decide to hire me. I can tender airfreight for unknown shippers by performing ID checks and site inspections on the fly.

So could Diane and me if we jumped through the same hoops you did. We do not do so, not because we can't, but beause the freedom we enjoy and the good money we make at FedEx Custom Critical makes it unnecessary to do so.

Nobody is saying you're not a good expediter simply because you're not independent, nothing could be further from the truth.

Understood. You are not saying we are not good expediters. But you are incorrect when you say we are not independent. We are free to find and haul our own freight, interact directly with customers, buy our own insurance, set our own rates, etc. Just because we do not do so, it does not follow that we can't.

I have merely taken the same steps anybody else can take and formed a corporation, filed the DBA, got my EIN number, got the business checking account and line of credit, obtained my own CA and GA DOT, USDOT, broker's authority, IAC authority, freight forwarder's authority, joined IATA and FFA, and got my CSA2010 and IMDG certifications.

Diane and I could do the very same things while also maintaining a lease with FedEx Custom Critical. If we decided to do so, such administrative actions are well within our capabilities and we would have it done in short order. We already have completed five of the items on your list. It would not take much to complete the rest.

I am an independent contractor. Fedex may call you an Independent Contractor, and the IRS or Labor Board may view you as such, but you are in fact only a contractor unless you operate autonomously.

You are splitting hairs to establish a distinction without a difference.

When an independent contractor carpenter contracts to build a house, does he become "only" a contractor because the customer tells him how to build it?

When an own-authority, independent-contractor dump truck owner operator hires onto a construction job, he or she loses his autonomy to the general contractor who tells him where to be, when and where to go and when. Does that reduce the dump truck person to "only" a contractor?

No matter what kind of contractor you are, you always lose autonomy to the customers you serve. It is no different with independent contractors who lease their trucks to FedEx Custom Critical. In that case, FedEx is the customer and, by virtue of the contract FDCC and the independent contractor entered into, the contractor cedes a certain amount of autonomy to the customer.

The IRS recognizes this in its independent contractor definition. Autonomy is not absolute. It is a matter of degree. The trick to maintaining independent contractor status is to maintain enough autonomy in the relationship to satisfy the IRS definition.

For IRS purposes, the term "Independent Contractor" is not split. There is no such thing as a contractor that is different than an independent. There is no such thing as an independent that is different than a contractor. The two words combined -- the phrase -- describes a single entity.

"Independent Contractor" is used as a noun in this context. Your error is made by separating the two words. You are using "independent" as an adjective and "contractor" as a noun. In other contexts, that would be legitimate. But for the purposes of business relationships defined by the IRS, "Independent Contractor" is a noun.

That's the distinction I cling to.

Mistakenly so, as I suggest above.

My word is good as well, and when I agree to a load, it gets done for the price agreed upon and within the agreed upon time frame. EVEN IF it ends up costing me money. I mail, fax, or email invoices for the jobs that I do. I follow up with phone calls and get paid within two weeks. Jobs under 500 miles are given a flat rate. Beyond that range, it's per-mile plus FSC.

I am sure that is true.

I got into the van a few years ago because I saw all the new regulations coming, and I wanted to stay out on the road and have fun getting paid to see the country. I don't like being limited as to how far or where I can go. The van affords me freedom I didn't have in the Peterbilt, or sitting behind a desk coordinating logistics for other people.

In this discussion, let's be careful about blending topics. In your final paragraph you speak about new regulations, type of truck and how freedom is affected by them. Those are different topics than independent contractor.

But since you raise the new regulations and freedom topics, allow me to offer this.

Diane and I entered the business in 2003 and have driven Class 8 straight trucks the entire time. As I think about it, our freedom has been diminished as follows:

- FedEx Custom Critical mandated that our truck be speed limited to 65 mph because of new regulations in Ontario and Quebec.

- FedEx Custom Critical required the installation of the Qualcomm MCP200 in our truck, an electronic logging device. We did not want it and it costs us $5.00 per week more than the unit it replaced.

- With the electronic logs and the ability they give our carrier to more closely monitor the truck, FedEx Custom Critical limited our personal conveyance time tighter than the law permits.

- CSA 2010 came along and later became known as CSA. While CSA is changing the enforcement techniques by using technology in a new way, it did not change the rules that are being enforced. We were compliant before CSA and remain compliant now; thus, the new program did not affect our freedom.

- Security concerns have driven many freedom-limiting changes including longer waits at international border crossings, required TWIC cards, IAC training requirements, required passports, required fingerprinting for HAZMAT endorsements on your CDL, etc. But most of these do not limit your freedom as much as they increase the time and cost of compliance. We remain free to enter and leave Canada. We remain free to haul HAZMAT. It just costs us more time and money to do so.

- For a variety of reasons, truck routes and bridge weights have become more restrictive. Sometimes rules are changed to force us to drive on toll roads we would prefer to avoid.

These are items that come off the top of my head. There are probably more that are not coming to mind at the moment.

Beholden to no one. As I said.

It's a nice slogan but in fact you are beholden to everyone. You don't build your truck yourself or the highways you drive on. If you want to drive safely down the highway, you must follow the same right side or the road rule everyone else does.

You can move into the woods to live off the land, but if you want a gun and some Velcro, a society is required for you to obtain them.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Hey.....if i'm tired I can still be in service....load offers may be for next day....or for monday.........or 12 hours away.......my choice to choose what load I can safely run.

I don't really care what some of you can run safe or not.....I believe and or hope that you would be safe.... you are legally responsible to do so.......so why are you telling me? The thread had a question and I said what happened to me.....like it or not

this winter we have seen maybe over 100 accidents....trucks, cars, everything.......people driving crazy and unsafe.....even a few deaths......is it worth it? we are told to be safe....."have a safe trip"......but when I don't feel safe it's a service issue...come on....for real?

If your tired your doing a disservice to your company,cause they are counting on you to be able to run the freight.A B unit is suppose to be able to have 8 ft of space and 2000 lbs.If a customer that orders a B unit and the weight would be 3000 lbs,then you would have gotten a dry run,or customer would have cut the weight back to the 2000 lbs.In your case,you have signed on as a team,which means when loaded to capacity you have a legal place for one of you to sleep.If this isn't available,the most that truck can operate is 14 hours,having one of you sleep in the passenger seat.
NOw,if your to tired to do the work,and even though a load may pick up the next day,being to tired is a reason to be out of service.THE Fed has no idea if your tired or not,only you do,and they are not going to do anything to jeopardize your safety.When you accept a load,your suppose to be able to do that load.What you did was all your problem.If you only been running 1000 lb loads,I have a hard time believing this.And another thing,how did you ever get by safety when tyhey inspected you truck at orientation,you not tell them you were a team?
THis industry id for professionals,of which it's clearly your not,so don't blame your short comings on anyone else

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Zero, you hit a nerve with Phil.

The question to ask when speaking about going outside the FedEx system is who has actually done it and have they been discourage?

Their home time thing was a serious joke when I was there and I heard the same thing from a team who had the same experience just a few months ago. The same with the backhaul program - it is selectively used.

Dave (Bruno), I said this before and I will say it again, FedEx isn't a group of dummies, they know their business very very well and it is their fault to accept the vehicle in the fleet in the first place.

Team + small van = short distances

or

Team + small van = limited drive time

If their concern was safety, which we both know is not always the case, then they wouldn't have offered the contract in the first place and we would have avoided the 200 plus posts about something that had nothing to do with the original poster's knowledge quest.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have two scenarios:

Scenario One: the overwhelmingly vast majority, 98%, 99%, probably 99.9934% of all the drivers, owner/operators, fleet owners, brokers, carriers and dispatchers in the expediting industry have been doing it wrong all these years. No one knows what they are doing, what they are talking about, or how the industry works. Thankfully, they now have Pookie to open their eyes and let them see the light, to show everyone in the industry the error of their ways. All hail Pookie.

Scenario Two: Pookie doesn't really understand the industry, doesn't understand what a leased independent contractor means, doesn't understand his lease contract, especially where it includes carrier policies as a part of the contract even though they are not implicitly stated in the contract, and doesn't understand that in order to get the lease contract in the first place that certain minimum equipment was contractually agreed to and guaranteed, and he doesn't understand that every load offer is predicated on the lease contract.

Now, which one of the two above scenarios seems the most likely to be true?

I believe a third scenario is more true: Pookie does not understand that he does not understand. It's not that he does not get it. It's that he does not get it that he does not get it.

Numerous people here have tried to help him see the light. Yet even with an event as significant as FedEx Custom Critical terminating his contract, he has not changed his view and continues to operate in the dark. There are some for whom operating in the dark is thier natural state and a more enlightened approach, no matter how clearly presented, would be rejected as abnormal. Pookie is in his comfort zone and I am content to leave him there.

Last edited:

pookie8me

Not a Member
LOL....phil your are a good writer too and I thank you for your time on this matter.....even if we agree or don't on some things.

BTW Mr. Terry the Fedex safety guy saw us a few months ago at truckstop...We talked and he checked us out.....In fact he checked us out real good....and took some notes...I asked what was he writing and he said notes that our unit had dogs....and that we cannot to white glove loads.....I believe he drove a b unit for years.....team......Hmmmmmmmm no mention to any above posts...........

Yes we signed up as team.....and sometimes we ran single....nothing changed

Yes turtle I believe 98% are wrong...blinded by so called industry standards.....I have not read that book yet.......LOL

SO if I say yes to load and when I get to dock it's a box of bees.....do I have to take it? is it safe? It may be safe for you but someone else my be allergic and would not be safe......That's a condition out of the drivers hand......so he or she can't say no? come one I could go on all day long with examples......

Yes we hardly ever had 1000 pounds on B unit.....I would say around 600-800 average........I like how some want to say what I've hauled...LOL

even though Phil may not agree with me he has shown in my eyes that what some of you post is non sense. He explained things very well.....LOL well most of them.....Phil showed that I do know what I'm talking about but feels that I'm missing something.....point taking......I'm not a genius or good writer but have 123 IQ....which is certainly better and way above average.....and I feel I can step out of myself and try to look at something from another point of view.....and i'll keep trying....LOL.....but how is it a choice to take a load and load can be anything.....check other posts.....we don't have customers...they are Fedex customers....says right in lease....Fedex has to get right info from customer......that's not my problem....it's out of my control.....not my job.....

I've said sorry a few times for insulting some of you....but I've haven't heard one say sorry for insulting me? And some are more settle then others.......Shows me what I'm working with here............nothing personal please don't go postal....LOL

This is for real.........there is other stuff too, that goes on, but not safety related......

as far as buying van....I bought van for local work....I found plenty of routes but due to my time needed off to travel and spend time with my son I found that otr was a better option. The fixed routes required no time off.....you can find them in most citys.......and I'll say what they are...cause I don't keep secrets.....I try and help if I can.....drug routes pay good.....load around 5am and do 20-30 stops....must be a clean and safe person do to job.......1250-1500 a week and or more.......also I've made 275-350 per day for filling in for office depot and or companys like that.......that was sometimes for about half day cause I kept moving and worked hard.....just food for thought.....box trucks do good too

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've said sorry a few times for insulting some of you....but I've haven't heard one say sorry for insulting me? And some are more settle then others.......Shows me what I'm working with here............nothing personal please don't go postal....LOL

Pookie: in post 193, I said that IF you advised dispatch that your acceptance of the offer was conditional upon it being one skid, [because two would be 'unsafe'], then I apologize. I asked whether you had so advised dispatch, and you didn't answer.
So when did you tell them that two skids wouldn't be acceptable - before or after you agreed to the offer?
If you had told them before, would they have withdrawn the offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.