Your Sprinter Sleeper

mohawk

Active Expediter
Im trying to get myself enough room to live on the road comfortably. Im aiming for the standard 39 matt with about 6" of clearance from the seats. Im removing the passenger seat to install my fridge when i get my battery bank installed.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your committed to a permenent bunk go for it!

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I drove a 170" sprinter with 10' of cargo room with a wall and I done really well with that set up. Yea I lost loads and maybe lost some money but I still did good an had enough money in my pocket at the end of the week where I was happy. I like that set up knowing I had some wiggle room and a dedicated place to sleep when needed to. Its not fun sleeping in the front sleeps !!

mzraik

Active Expediter
So the bunk idea ive banged together is leaving me with about 120" of cargo. Is this gonna be adequate space or should i try for more? Im trying to make sure i dont run into any problems down the road with fitting cargo.

10' will more than do for most 2 pallet loads. 3 pallet loads @ 40 x 48 x whatever, will fit in the 120 inches 40 x 3 = 120, but what about securing the load... I would look at 3 x 48 = 144 plus a few inches to lock the straps. Also, without the extra space, you may have to ask about the dimensions of every load (Though dispatch should have your dims on file), if they say 3 pallets, and nobody asks, it could leave you in an odd situation...

I started out in an 06 Sprinter Extended model and ran my bed along the passenger side with the pillow area up by the glove box. All my tools, battery and things like that were under the bed.

Just a note: Depending on whether or not you will be logging "DOT", they have some minimums for sleeper areas. I'm not sure what they are (I haven't driven Big Trucks for a while, nor had to keep up with the reg's.) It's something to look into though.

Just my op-onion.

mohawk

Active Expediter
Thanks for the replies guys. What i ended up with left me with just under 150" of cargo space. Built a foldable bunk with movable partition and Was able to incorporate my absolute requirement of a bookshelf.
At 6'3" im adjusting to sleeping at an angle but after a week seems to be doing ok.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the replies guys. What i ended up with left me with just under 150" of cargo space. Built a foldable bunk with movable partition and Was able to incorporate my absolute requirement of a bookshelf.
At 6'3" im adjusting to sleeping at an angle but after a week seems to be doing ok.
Sounds like a good setup. That 150" will be about right.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can always spec on the next options over some Mike Linnig's fish or Mark's BBQ. I could go for either one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

If your bunk is foldable and your partition is movable?...why would you not just sleep length wise when empty? and stretch out....

mohawk

Active Expediter
If your bunk is foldable and your partition is movable?...why would you not just sleep length wise when empty? and stretch out....

Because my partition only slides front to back and the bunk is attached to it. This is only my first attempt and already have several more designs for my next home time.

Besides if i can sleep in a tent in the afghan desert i tthink i can manage a bunk in a sprinter lol.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm the same height and had a sliding bulkhead and folding bunk at one time too.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thats how I had .mine originally also. Then I realized that If I separated the two and slid the bed up behind the seats, it left me with full use of the van when empty. My bulkhead still functions the same, but it movable and I can sit it to the side leaving the floor open all the way to the rear doors when empty. The bunk also folds up behind the seats to give room for more freight when needed.

mohawk

Active Expediter
After having this configuration for a little over a week I've already decided to completely change it next time im home.

Going to do away with the partition and use a freestanding bunk 31" WIDE. MISS BEING ABLE TO PACE MY VAN WHEN EMPTY LOL. NEXT ON MY LIST IS TO FIND REASONABLY PRICED BATTERIES SETUP A BATTERY BANK BEFORE WARM WEATHER STAITS ROLLING IN.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just don't plan on using the battery bank to power a rooftop air conditioner.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A roof vent fan and a cracked side window works wonders. On really hot days adding a small desk fan is in order.

mohawk

Active Expediter
Driving a company van anything i do needs to be temporary and easy to move. Once i make my final decision on purchasing my own more permanent modifications will be in order.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mohawk, try talking the Sprinter owner into installing a standard 14 x 14 roof vent or letting you do it and pay for it. If the owner springs for it, then you can replace it with a Fantastic Fan Fantastic Vent RV Vent Fan  Adohen Supply. When you get your own van, remove the Fantastic Fan and re-install the roof vent. Now you have a Fantastic Fan for your own van.

If the owner won't pay for a roof vent, but gives you permission to cut a 14 x 14 hole in the roof of the Sprinter, install a Fantastic Fan. When you get your own van, remove the Fantastic Fan and replace it with a standard roof vent at a cost of $30 to $40. Money well spent if you plan on spending this summer in the current Sprinter. When you get your own van, you will still want a Fantastic Fan even if you have a generator and AC.

Disclaimer: Mary and I do not currently nor have we ever owned stock in Adohen Supply Company or Fantastic Fan. I did once sleep in a WalMart parking lot that was in close proximity to a Holiday Inn Express though. Also, I won't slyly suggest I have Volvo C unit reefer for sale, but I do have a 2004 Chevrolet Express cargo van with a 155" WB that could be had if the price is right. A few less miles than the Volvo and a whole cheaper.

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have a 08 sprinter I have 12 feet of cargo area with a permanent wall and a 3 foot bunk behind the seats with a shelf above the bunk a rail to hang my clothes on and storage area under the bunk for supplies. I have a webasto heater for the winter and I will be buying a honda genny and portable AC unit for the summer and I might be tempted to put my microwave back in her when I buy the genny :) I'm only a short guy so this setup is the best for me