Your Sprinter Sleeper

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Its going ok. I live in Northern Idaho. I work at a small engine shop here. I PM Bob and Linder every once in awhile. But life is good here in Gods country. Are you still with Landstar?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Crap I thought I reply ...

Yep still the same but now sort of a fleet owner with a different business.

Turtle, don't you have one of them 'factory' made sleepers?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, don't you have one of them 'factory' made sleepers?
Yeah, from Turtlemade Sleepers.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Turtle, You should sell plans.

So I am wondering what the dimensions are (cargo area, sleeper width, et cetera ...) if you don't mind posting them.

Is that a swivel seat for the drivers seat or am I imagining something else?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A Cincinnati Bengals Hardhat ???
Yep. I had a plain white one, but I had 3 or 4 security guards ask for it back as I was leaving some place, thinking it was one of their loaners or something. Figured I'd get one that no one would want back.

When I'm tooling around Cleveland, or especially Pittsburgh, I'll wear it to win friends and influence people.

So I am wondering what the dimensions are (cargo area, sleeper width, et cetera ...) if you don't mind posting them.

Is that a swivel seat for the drivers seat or am I imagining something else?

No, it's not a swivel seat. Just the regular seat. I thought about getting the swivel addon, but was concerned about there not being enough room between the back of the seat and the Microfridge.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

As for dimensions, the cargo area is 49 inches between the narrowest space at the wheel wells. The length is exactly 108 inches from the bunk to the inside of the rear doors.

The bunk is 30 inches wide x 65 inches long. The mattress sits on the bunk lid at 18 inches, which is a little high, especially since I have a 6-inch regular foam mattress with a 3 inch memory foam topper. That makes the top of the mattress at 17 inches, plus the height of the sleeping bag (which isn't much), but it means I have to kind of go up and onto the bed, rather than merely sitting down on the bed. While sitting on the bed my feet are several inches above the floor. It's higher than the bend of my knees, in other words. It's about 3 inches too high, the height of that memory foam. Originally just the 6 inch mattress was planned, but it's cheap regular foam and I bottomed out while sleeping, so I had to add the memory foam (dirt cheap at Overstock.com). The reason for the 18 inch height is that I needed a minimum of 17 inches inside the bunk, to allow to taller batteries, if and when I get them.

From the front edge of the bunk to the rear of the seat, and also to the rear edge of the emergency flasher holder that's on the floor behind the driver's seat (which I use for a power strip holder), is also 30 inches.

Measurements were critical and all of them were planned out. Obviously, having the correct amount of space for cargo was paramount, and everything else was planned around that, including the width of the Microfridge so as to accommodate my briefcase between the fridge and the bunk. The fridge is 18.62 inches, which leaves enough room for the briefcase, and a little room in back of the seat. The depth of the fridge is 22.61 inches, and with leaving not really enough "breathing room" behind the fridge up against the wall, it sticks out just about as far as the driver's seat is wide, minus the arm rest. Hight of the fridge is 56.63 inches, plus the printer/scanner, which makes lifting the lid on the scanner a little tight, but it's not a problem.

The passenger seat was removed and the Turtle Desk was put in it's place.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

The Turtle Desk was pulled right out of the Ford and had crude legs adapted for the slant of the Sprinter's floor, which is why it looks retarded. But on the side where that little hole is, that's where I have the CB and the QC mounted. The large slot above the little hole is where I keep my prized Panther Driver Handbook and myTrucker's Atlas, neither of which I ever use, the PRO bills clipboard (which doubles as a sort of slide out shelf for the mouse and mousepad), Kleenex, napkins and other assorted junk. The narrow slot on the rear is where I inserted the satellite TV receiver, a couple of external hard drives, USB ports, battery charger, and other assorted stuff.

Reactions: mystreeds

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
This is the installed and lived-in view of my ikea shelf system. A week and haven't fallen off the bed yet. Already had a load that would have forced me to sleep on the floor if it was the old arrangement.

eb

Attachments

• bunk1.jpg
    bunk1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 740
  • bunk2.jpg
    bunk2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 722
  • bunk3.jpg
    bunk3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 707

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I've always wondered what happened to the van owner who had the loveseat in his van? I think it was an All State or Tri-state guy.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle:
You did an awesome job with that van!! Good goin'

In my ridiculously short career, I never needed the space for 3 pallets. Kinda got the impression that I could have planned everything out to leave room for just 2. No?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle:
You did an awesome job with that van!! Good goin'

In my ridiculously short career, I never needed the space for 3 pallets. Kinda got the impression that I could have planned everything out to leave room for just 2. No?
Thanks. There are just a snotload of short wheelbase vans in expediting that have no hope of hauling three skids. Even most the long wheelbase vans can't haul three skids. All you need is the ability to haul 48x48x48 twice, and then maybe an extra foot up front for securement and for the oversized skids you get once in a while.

If you can haul more than 2 skids, it's certainly a plus, but not really much of a minus, and frankly not all that much of a plus unless your carrier actively sells the extra capacity and routinely gets you more loads than you would have otherwise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
.....not to forget extra pay for 3 skids.
Depends on the carrier. Some do, most don't. For most, it's all about what will fit as far as dimensions and weight, since the customer is renting the entire truck, whether it's one skid, an envelope, or more than 2 skids.