Your Opinion Please!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We all have are own ideas of what we like or don't like about the company we drive for. As of late I've noticed many posts from members expressing many things not liked about the company they drive for.

Can we all agree this board is to help each other, and can we all agree to post one thing we like about the company we drive for?

Please try to keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
Thank you all in advance for participating in this personal observation.

whitewolfteam04

Expert Expediter
your soooo right tony!im a happy camper if i get a 85 cent a mile run or a 1.85 cent a mile run.im at peace with the man upstairs and fortunate to be able to do this kind of work,by the way ive been with fed ex for a year.thats my opinion!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Simplicity and fixing my stupid mistakes.

Keeping my work easy and not worrying if I made a mistake.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
While no company is for everyone, I make my opinions pretty well known. We have had trucks on with several different carriers over the years.
We on occassion have frustrations like anyone, but for us, Panther clearly fits the bill.
Our results and relationships with Panther have been very positive, and we still retain the same drivers. That doesn't usually happen by accident.

As they say, "the strength is in the numbers"

Davekc
owner
21 years

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
From the time I posted this and now there has been 57 members log onto and read the forums. I would buy the excuse that about 30% didn't see the post leaving 39.9 members who read this thread and ignored to reply.

That's all good, because no one can dictate to members what post to reply to.

I am willing to bet if the post read name one thing you don't like about the company you drive for, there would have been a lot more replies than the 3 who responded.

I already knew who would not reply long before I started the thread, but to let those few who are always on this board spreading negativity, sway the rest of you good members, says a lot.

I know the post hasn't been up for 24 hours, and there are many members still on runs and/or doing other things, that when they do log in, will reply in earnest. Thank You!

IF YOU THINK NEGATIVE BAD THINGS HAPPEN!!! THINK POSITIVE AND GOOD THING HAPPEN!

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
I think Carriers/ Comapnies should stop thinking that O/Os should have the same exact outlook on business as they do and also stop wanting O/Os to take what they can get. You are in business and you need to protect your assests just like the Carriers do. Stop walking around being thankful your leased to someone and make your own destiny.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I no Longer Drive but have Put my Son in the Van with a Small Company In Cleveland Ohio called Mercury Logistics. Small as in 6 "B" Units and 2 "D" Units and 1 "C" Unit. So that he can Learn the In and Outs of Expediting. So far the treat Him with Kid Gloves and Know he is a Rookie. And they seem to Take a Intrest in him doing well. Pay is Average with what I was making per mile. They Pay on Time and so far if they say we will pay deadhead they have.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>I think Owners should stop thinking that O/Os should have
>the same exact outlook on business as they do and also stop
>wanting O/Os to take what they can get. You are in business
>and you need to protect your assests just like the Owners
>do. Stop walking around being thankful your leased to
>someone and make your own destiny.

I'm not really sure what bigdiesel's post means!? Can someone translate?

With regards to the original post, I resigned this week from RDF Logistics of Middleburg Hts.OH after being a company driver for a year. They were a good company to work for (although they could have run me a little harder;). The trucks were always decently maintained, pay was accurate and on time. They are not a typical expedite co., but working there gave me a lot of insight on the biz.

So you're probably wondering why I resigned......I'm joining the ranks of O/Os!! I just bought a class 8 straight truck and I'm getting a lease set up with a company out of MI. This will not be an expediting gig either, but the prospects look very good and if things pan out I'll be resuming my GoKart racing career next season!

This looks like it's gonna be BIG FUN!!!!!

Rex

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If it's me you are addressing in your reply, WELL before I go any further I'll wait till you respond to my question.

BigDiesel, are you directing that comment to me?

I haven't been leased to a company for 15 years my friend. I have a DYNASTY and it is doing fine. The O/O's I hired 12, 13, & 14 years ago are still with me!

But I'll give you a chance to respond.

My question was rather simple I thought. What do you like about the company you drive for?

Let me put it this way. Owners answer on the left and O/O’s answer on the right!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the good points of my last company is giving 85% to the truck of any loads the owner/driver finds on their own.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
I have been at FECC for 3+ years with my one D unit. I get treated well, I stay busy and at the end of the week I manage to make a few bucks. Can't really ask for much more then that and I don't really have any complaints..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Big Deisel wrote;
I think Owners should stop thinking that O/Os should have the same exact outlook on business as they do and also stop wanting O/Os to take what they can get. You are in business and you need to protect your assests just like the Owners do. Stop walking around being thankful your leased to someone and make your own destiny.

I am not sure what this post means??????

Davekc

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
egl is great like being home just about every night once in a while have to work late but not to offend
come and go as i please, just tell them when and where i'll be taking off

good thing is i'm own boss or should i say the bank is
as long as bank is payment is made bank is happy

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
>If it's me you are addressing in your reply, WELL before I
>go any further I'll wait till you respond to my question.
>
>BigDiesel, are you directing that comment to me?
>
>I haven't been leased to a company for 15 years my friend.
>I have a DYNASTY and it is doing fine. The O/O's I hired
>12, 13, & 14 years ago are still with me!

>
>But I'll give you a chance to respond.
>
>My question was rather simple I thought. What do you like
>about the company you drive for?
>
>Let me put it this way. Owners answer on the left and O/O’s
>answer on the right!!!

Tony,
I was really enjoying this thread (I didn't get BD's point either, but it was totally off-topic whatever it meant!) until you threw in the part about answering on the left or right. Now I don't know what THAT meant, either!! So I will respond to your request, & let you put it on whichever side it belongs, ok?
I'm an o/o, driving a B unit with ConWay Now. I like them because they do what they promised, listen & answer when I have a question, and the dispatchers are really great when it doesn't go as planned. They also pay promptly, I like that too - lol. I think they "get it": it's a partnership that works when we each do our job. :) Cheri

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What we like about FedEx CC is being able to pick & choice loads, getting paid exactly what the qualcomm reads, going home when we want and being an O/O.

Bob & Linda
FedEx CC
D Truck

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Cheri!

The comment about the left and right was I being sarcastic, and silly. Like many other BD's post was definitely off topic and until he replies to my question I am reading into his reply as him venting or being negative.

Thanks for not letting my sarcasm hold you back or stop you from posting.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you put DRIVERS in place of O/Os in BDs post, it would make alot more sense. Drivers don't have control of their own destiny, as the owners have the choice whether to pay them or not. In too many cases I've read, the owners also control which loads they take. In those cases, they are just employees without employee benefits.

As far as good things about my carrier... I can turn down loads without repercussions. I see all loads available, and choose where I want to go. Success or failure rides on my shoulders alone... and everyday is a lesson in how to make it a success.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also think there is some terminology confusion with BD. Just to clarify for him; An O/O is someone who owns the truck and operates the truck. An owner is someone who owns the truck and hires, or sub-contracts, a driver to operate it for him. That person is not an O/O.

I'm with a small company and I like the personal feel of that. When I call in it's just first name and some just know my voice. There is a mutual trust that can be difficult to establish with a larger company. I don't get questioned about how or what I do because they know it will be done.

A couple more bucks sure would'nt hurt, though.

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
I was talking about the relationship between O/Os and Carriers. And Tony I was not talking directly to you, it was a general statement. But it is just interesting when Fleet owners are usually the first ones to come to the defense of the big carriers when someone has trouble with them.