OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does XPO pay the repair bill if something bad happens because of that 4000 lbs load? :cool:
When I was there that would never happen....upon recruitment they made you get a weigh ticket and they calculated your maximum weight...based on scale mine at that time was 2600 lbs that was with 2 people and gear...dispatch would never offer me anything over that...
In most of the cases the shippers are the ones that overweight our trucks, not the dispatchers. But they'll never tell you the real weight when they know there's more than it was supposed to be...
we ran into that when it was Express1 more so...anything over 2,000 lbs was a sprinter load...the rate was bumped from 80 to 1.00 0r 1.05....

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I currently drive a straight for V3 and asked our sprinter drivers if a DOT medical card is required, Yes it is so that's straight from a current employee.
Does that Sprinter driver have a CDL? or have a hazmat endorsement?...
is it a one time shot like some carriers just for recruiting? or do they have to renew it like CDL holders have to?
I currently drive a straight for V3 and asked our sprinter drivers if a DOT medical card is required, Yes it is so that's straight from a current employee.
is it a one time shot like some carriers just for recruiting? or do they have to renew it like CDL holders have to?

Waiting on an answer on the CDL or Haz Mat from some of our drivers but the answer on renewing is yes or safety will put them out of service.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In most of the cases the shippers are the ones that overweight our trucks, not the dispatchers. But they'll never tell you the real weight when they know there's more than it was supposed to be...
Thats why smart Expediters leave some wiggle room on the weight .... i can legally do 3360 lbs... but 3000 lbs is My limit ... 1. we are not getting paid extra $ to run a heavy load ..2. Its hard on you Van... 3. I have run 3 loads in the last 2 years that were over 2500 lbs... and i have been very busy during that time ... so why run heavy ... not me ... if others want to thats fine its their van .. its about my Net $$$ .. better gas mileage ... less repairs ... better longivity of van .....

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Waiting on an answer on the CDL or Haz Mat from some of our drivers but the answer on renewing is yes or safety will put them out of service.

Thats ok..I am quoting what I know now....my XPO experience is old...but I did require a DOT medical because I had a CDL.....
at my last carrier I dropped my CDL and the DOT medical was NOT required anymore...

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats why smart Expediters leave some wiggle room on the weight .... i can legally do 3360 lbs... but 3000 lbs is My limit ... 1. we are not getting paid extra $ to run a heavy load ..2. Its hard on you Van... 3. I have run 3 loads in the last 2 years that were over 2500 lbs... and i have been very busy during that time ... so why run heavy ... not me ... if others want to thats fine its their van .. its about my Net $$$ .. better gas mileage ... less repairs ... better longivity of van .....

good move....one day you may make that list of Smart Expediters....;)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
we ran into that when it was Express1 more so...anything over 2,000 lbs was a sprinter load...the rate was bumped from 80 to 1.00 0r 1.05....

Where I'm at it used to be 2500# and up paid C truck rate, I have no idea what it is now since I never get close to that, physical is required every 2 years but apparently you don't need to pass if your in a van since I never pass due to only having 1 eye.

Lost in Space.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all my years I can remember just 1 shipper refuse to load me..it would fit but after the first rack went on, he just took it back off " I am not putting you on the road" and signed off..."truck refused" seems the front office ordered the truck not him...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in '97, when I was a newbie (that was when I switched from big rigs to CV) with TNT, while sitting and waiting and freezing to death nearby Windy City, I told the dispatch that I'm gonna take anything, just to keep moving. The guy told me that he has a ST load, it fits in my van, but it's heavy. It was 4200 lbs and I took it. The point is that they never paid me as a ST load, but CV load, which at that time they were paying $.65/mi. It was the first and last time when I accepted an overweight load...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in '97, when I was a newbie (that was when I switched from big rigs to CV) with TNT, while sitting and waiting and freezing to death nearby Windy City, I told the dispatch that I'm gonna take anything, just to keep moving. The guy told me that he has a ST load, it fits in my van, but it's heavy. It was 4200 lbs and I took it. The point is that they never paid me as a ST load, but CV load, which at that time they were paying $.65/mi. It was the first and last time when I accepted an overweight load...
besides the need to keep moving and we all get that bug....to take what should be straight load for CV rate....that is exactly what is helping to kill this business....brokers and customers get to expect it if they know people are out there to do such IMO silliness...

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dog gone take a few days off and I missed that popcorn moment

Lost in Space.
52d0f7308dc3712ac4aecf0a86e87c66.jpg

And thats 4000 lbs of it hauled in an XPO van ...

Also since EO member Northernbill drives team SPRINTER van for XPO .. he can clarify the freight hauling requirements ... since my discussions with him there was never a 4000 lb freight weight requirement brought up ..

When we signed on a weight ticket was required and XPO set our payload based on door sticker. The cargo dimensions were also determend. A current DOT Med card must be on file regardless of DL type. Have been with them since Nov. 2015.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Lost in Space.

Also since EO member Northernbill drives team SPRINTER van for XPO .. he can clarify the freight hauling requirements ... since my discussions with him there was never a 4000 lb freight weight requirement brought up ..

When we signed on a weight ticket was required and XPO set our payload based on door sticker. The cargo dimensions were also determend. A current DOT Med card must be on file regardless of DL type. Have been with them since Nov. 2015.
Thank you!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We beat the Weight topic around alot in general forum /locations- chit chat ... and that fine ... but this Thread was about XPO and type of company they were ... so in post # 10 ... when it was Claimed that XPO now requires 2 or 3 skids and 4000 lbs of cargo weight availability in a Sprinter then i chimed in ....
This as we all knew was False information to post on here against XPO ... giving a Newbie the wrong impression about the company .... thats why several EO members chimed in ... thats not the Norm (over weight loads) out here ... So back to XPO - topic

Last edited:

schwanman

Expert Expediter

Lost in Space.

You should be able to set your own weight limits correct?

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didnt XPO logistics take over conway. I heard they are employee based for the local work here in michigan.