Who takes an instrument on the road?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking of getting a silent electric viola, and take it with me to practice. I'd like to hear from others who take a guitar, or other instrument with them; and whether they have reactions from co-drivers or other passersby.

Also, how do you enjoy playing in the truck? Do you think it's worth learning an instrument on the road?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I take my guitar out on the road with me and set up shop at wal-mart with a small amplifier and a little tin cup that I place in front of it. People usually drop a couple quarters in my tin cup on the way out just to get me to turn it off.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Irish tin whistle and wooden flute. I played in a band for a few years, so I'm not that bad. I've never heard any complaints yet.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I'm heading back out next week and will be bringing my digital keyboard. At least no one will be telling me to "Turn it down"

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I'm thinking of getting a silent electric viola, and take it with me to practice. I'd like to hear from others who take a guitar, or other instrument with them; and whether they have reactions from co-drivers or other passersby.

Also, how do you enjoy playing in the truck? Do you think it's worth learning an instrument on the road?

Get some amplified headphones to go with it and you're good to go!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I don't play anything, but I do take my computer if that counts for an instrument. :) Sorry i'm just being silly.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sing...thats my Instrument...and people gather around my van...an before you know it....BAM I'm throwin another Free Concert....Its crazy...;)

guido4475

Not a Member
I bought a harmonica once, still have it, but it was a disaster trying to learn it.Did better farting a tune.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I actually have an alto clarinet I take out. drives the other half crazy, so therefore it doesn't get played much. but its there if we get really bored!

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I was at one time considering buying a keyboard to bring along with some headphones....Had 6 years worth of piano lessons and I might as well put it to use. I enjoy playing the blues on piano....keeps my fingers nimble. On a side note; I was also a 1st chair trumpet player in the high school band, but I haven't picked up a trumpet since oh...lets say....1994. I think a trumpet may be in the top 10 of most annoying instruments at a truck stop....LMAO

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I take my harmonica. Easy to carry. Popular instrument. You control the volume. Fun to play.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
my harmonica goes everywhere my truck goes.Some day I'll learn how to play it,although my driving partner tells me I need to be on TV.I think he means hed be able to turn me off

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I take my guitar. I play and sing alone or with others. My friend Tim Zoellick, a driver with Express-1, is an awesome guitar player. I jam with him whenever we're in the same vicinity.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious t-hawk, what is a silent electric viola?

Is that one with no strings like a ribbon violin?

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
Just before Christmas I bought a used $20 dollar guitar and even though I dont know how to play it, and dont practice much it still sounds terrible.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

JES ME TINK'IN OUTLOUD, but, me tink you've got nuff distractors already!!

BTW, there have been some real good using Argosys on Truck Paper lately.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
JES ME TINK'IN OUTLOUD, but, me tink you've got nuff distractors already!!

BTW, there have been some real good using Argosys on Truck Paper lately.

Actually, the road gives me plenty of time away from distractions. My main goal is to get good enough to play with Sarah. She took up the violin, and is doing pretty well. I have some serious catching up to do! :D

Only argosy that's catchin my eye right now is the blue one. Can't get approved for it, however. While I'm waiting for the right one (money-wise) to show up there, I'm looking at another truck, that might be a catchable fish.