Who pays?

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
If you drive for a o/o and have a accident involving an animal on the highway such as a deer, or whatever and it causes damage to the vehicle should the driver contribute to the costs of repair?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the driver were in his personal vehicle and hit the deer should the owner he drives for contribute to the costs of the repair?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It is events such as this that require written agreements between owners and contract drivers.

If the driver was operating legally and in accordance with the requirements of the job, the owners insurance should pay for the damage and deductable, if any, should be paid by the owner, if you hit a deer. If you hit a "whatever", then that might be different.

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
The whatever was reffering to other animals, just curious because I talked to a couple on the road that ran into this situation and the owner is requesting the driver to pay for the repair.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For us, the deductible costs would be determined if there was an act of negligence. If not, then we would cover the deductible.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Leo, just out of curiosity, if a driver is driving your truck and a rock catches the windshield, who pays the deductible to have it replaced?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
when I had people driving my trucks,only if determine it were their fault for the damage did they pay.I covered the deductable.If you drive off the road and hit a tree to miss a cat,as my ex wife did with my corvette,you wil pay,but if you hit the so called championship cat,worth millions,ill cover the deductable

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
it happened before we were married,we dont want to talk of other idiot things she did,but what do you expect from a knock out blond

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thankfully there's no charge as long as it isn't more than 2 windshields per year. So far the luck hasn't been that bad.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I also don't have that pesky windshield deductible. Not many states have that. I had to replace one windshield between Christmas and New Year's, then had to do it again at Easter. That was Easer last year, so far so good. (of course, I'll have to replace it again within a week, now that I've said that)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think so, yes. Women have the innate ability to make men think they are in charge, when they're clearly not, as well as to make men think they are wrong, when they're clearly not.

Women can use sex to get what they want. Men cannot, as sex is what they want.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
He's never wrong.... as long as he opens doors when it's 5 below....lets the dog out when it's raining, sleeting, snowing, etc. ;)

Oh yeah, back to the topic..
When we drove T/T, our company flat out said, hit the deer. If you swerve to avoid the deer, you could cause more damage or possibly involve other vehicles.

Last edited:

tec1959

Expert Expediter
The O/O I worked for,He said about this situation if i was doing what i was suppose to like making a run loaded or D/H some where he pays everything.If i was some where i was not to be then i was going to pay.