Who do we call?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably don't have the business to support them. There were several posts six months ago that said they wouldn't take on any more TVAL trucks. Not sure if they are now or not? I have heard numerous different answers. That $41,000 investment is a huge lottery ticket unless you know prior to buying the truck you would be accepted.
But we may have it all wrong. Jack is saying with six months Fedex experience, anyone can get in to WG or a TVAL unit.
Way too many different stories. "Who do you call" seams to be a reoccuring theme in this thread.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Yo Dave.

Waiting and actively persuing are two different things. Having applied, but hearing nothing over the past few months may cause a person to fall through the cracks. There have been managerial changes in White Glove Division in the recent past so some of the corporate memory is long gone.

As you mentioned, pets in the truck will keep you out of the White Glove Division. Accident, less than stellar record of performance may keep you out of White Glove Division. One serious customer complaint or accusations of sassing too many dispatchers might do it. Inability to be approved for a Government security clearance or a felony record may keep you out of White Glove Division. A straight truck with a 22' box is minimum requirement for surface expedite D truck, but may keep you out of White Glove Division if you have no room for pallet jack, two wheel dollies and furniture pads required by WG Division. Lack of air-ride might also be a consideration.

Just a few thoughts; I have no White Glove administrative experience

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That does make total sense yet confusing. Since I am not there, I am far from any authority on it. But it is good you pointed out many of the items that would prohibit someone from being accepted.
I heard part of the story from a few teams, but it is possible I didn't hear ALL of it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
> Why would Fed Ex want to limit the amount of qualified
>white glove trucks? That would be as goofy as limiting
>teams. Not saying that they don't limit them, just wondering
>why they would.

FedEx Custom Critical limits the number of White Glove trucks for the same reason they limit all other trucks. They seek to match their fleet size to customer demand and to ensure there is enough freight to support the trucks in the fleet.

FedEx representatives spoke about this in some detail in a recent interview that is published on EO.

See the section, "Fleet Size" at: http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_005543.html

The same article also talks about FedEx's recent growth and future growth prospects.

For the readers who question how FedEx is doing, the answer is, Fedex Custom Criticial is doing very well, and they expect to do even better with the new Expedited Freight Services customer portal and improved communications among FedEx operating companies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>That does make total sense yet confusing. Since I am not
>there, I am far from any authority on it. But it is good you
>pointed out many of the items that would prohibit someone
>from being accepted.
>I heard part of the story from a few teams, but it is
>possible I didn't hear ALL of it.
>
The nature of internet forums virtually guarantee that no one will ever hear the full story about any topic that is raised. Indeed, for a given topic, people will likely get several stories, some of which will be more useful than others.

That's why the "Who do we call?" question is a good one to raise. For people who want straight answers from reliable sources, go to the carrier in question first and ask your questions. Then, if you still have reason to distrust the answers, check the answers with other drivers or here on EO. If that does not clear things up or satisfy you, find another carrier or more suitable business opportunity.

EO is not the first place to come for accurate expedting information. Go to EO's sponsors for first-hand and up to the minute information; the carriers that will put you on if you jump in.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I got to say this.

I do not agree that a newbie should have the ablity to start out in WG, they should earn it. I feel that if I as an owner needs to qualify to move to WG, then everyone else should, including drivers.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Greg you have that one right. How many times have you talked to new drivers that have no experience but are White Glove? How many times have you talked to Owner Operators trying to get into White Glove after being here a year or more and they have to jump through hoops and wait for an opening. We have a dog and we make the choice not to be White Glove but it still saddens us when we see people some of the drivers that are in White Glove.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I can understand your point Greg, But fleet owners would not buy those trucks. I would not be surprised if fleet owned trucks made up the majority of the WG fleet thou.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"How many times have you talked to new drivers that have no experience but are White Glove?"

I have a new driver that was accepted into WG without any, ANY knowledge or experience. (No he is not running in a WG truck) I don't blame him at all for taking advantage of the situation but I can't see what the difference between a WG unit and a ground unit when you can't staff the truck proplerly with experinced people.

Maybe elminiating WG completly to level the playing field and then taking the senior 'exceptional' owners to run the exclusive or specilized shipments?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess that does address the question. How does someone new get in verses someone waiting for years? I quess my question was answered. I am not sure a straight answer is coming from the office or Linda, Gregg and a bunch of others would already know the answer.
Does seem as though things have changed alittle in that regard over time.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding White Glove eligibility, straight answers do come from the office. And if you ask the same question a few months later, straight answers will come again, but they will likely be different.

That is not because FedEx is lying about the standards. It is because the standards themselves are somewhat fluid. And that is because all sorts of other things change including busy or slow time of year, customer needs, technology and more.

When they have more trucks than they need, things tighten up. When trucks are short, opportunities open up.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As far as White Glove. I quoted the minimum requirements necessary. I did not say that just anyone will be accepted. But if you are a good performer you're chances are good. As far as waiting for years on a list perhaps the applicants job performance is not stellar? The application is looked over by a supervisor and a then approved. It took 4 days for me to get final approval after requesting. The only question was what took so long for me to request. But, also I have been here 8 years accident and claim free with good acceptance rate.

As far as fleet size. Knowing that most owners do have very large investments they do try and keep fleet size at a level so that the trucks stay busy. And from what I have heard from the people I know in white glove, especially with TVAL and security clearance they have been very busy all winter.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think you really answered Linda's question.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, I just don’t buy the ‘needing to be qualified’ when someone walks off the street with no trucking experience at all and gets right into WG as a driver.

In the top “service provider" group in a company, you would want the best people to be recruited into the group to maintain that group's standards. Normally this is picking from the cream of the other “service provider†groups you have.

To comment on Phil’s comment about fluid standards, if the standards are fluid, then so is the quality of service given and this actually means that here is no solid foundation for the standards or expectation of performance. But if the standards are to be met, it should be met on all levels with no or very little exceptions if one is to expect the quality of service to be maintained at a prescribe level, make sense?

What I guess is bothering me is that I keep hearing all these justifications and excuses from WG drivers and owners about the placement of new people into the group who have little or no experience all the while there is a waiting list of established drivers and owners in surface with established work ethics trying to get into WG.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Interestingly, it seem the average O/O will call, or, apply, then fade into the sunset for a few months, or, forever. Anticipating that they have given sufficient proof that they are the best thing since canned peaches, and expect the carrier to persue them like a bandit. Don't really work that way, always. Those that have been "waiting for months" should maybe quit sitting on their hands and run it up the flagpole again. A squeaky wheel does get some grease.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Mcbride,
I see your point. I have only run solo and only see it from this side of the fence. If there are not enough team loads being offered then I agree it would not be equtiable to offer solo loads to just solos. My frustration is I will never be offered a team load except in extreme circumstances and teams are eligible for both always. But hey, I knew it going in so I can live with it.

Caffees,
I totally agree with your comment about some of the people you see in WG. I have seen some before and just thought; My God, this is suppose to be the cream of our crop? I have been embarressed quite a few times by the people I see representing WG and Surface Expedite as well.

I also agree that the most potentially profitable position to be in is a team truck with WG equipment and reefer. The more eligible for runs you can be the better. However, does that make sense for everyone? No, some have pets and some no spouse or driving partner. So, we all try to do what works best for us and like the loads, the VRU and the dispatchers there are too many variables for hard and fast rules always.