Who do we call?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does anyone know where we can get the official "rules" , "procedures", "guidelines" , for FedEx Custom Critical? Specifically how the loads are the dispatched exactly? How the loads come up? How the express centers work when out west?

Who do we call?

Is there a handbook we are missing?

We have been told so many different things, we have know idea what the reality is.

Thank you.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ther is a handbook called the contractor helper,you can order it thru the extra-net.it will tell you all you need to know.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Call in and talk to your Contract Coordinator and if you don't get any satisfaction there talk to Contractor Relations and on and on up the line. I do not believe there are any hard and fast rules though as there are way to many variables in any area of the country. Each dispatcher has some what of their own way of doing things as each of us drivers has our own way of doing things. Sometimes we all meet in the middle and other times I am not sure we are all even in the same playing field. Do the best you can and stay and pro active.

I also believe that most loads out there are White Glove loads and they seem to look at load acceptance, availability, safety and on-time pick up and delivery.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you both for answering. We will try and get thru to some one in contractor relations on Monday.

FYI, the handbook doesn't answer what we need to know.

-mcbride-

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>Thank you both for answering. We will try and get thru to
>some one in contractor relations on Monday.
>
>FYI, the handbook doesn't answer what we need to know.
>
>-mcbride-
>--What goes around comes around--

And that's just how they wanted the handbook to turn out.
:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
mcbride
I would suggest you do what I did, go to Green and spend some time there asking questions.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As you were posting your questions about the order in which run offers are made, I was writing one of my stories from the road that talked some about the same topic.

Excerpt:

It surprised us that the other trucks had not been offered the load. They had more dwell time (time waiting for freight in a given express center). Under the formula our carrier uses to dispatch trucks, dwell time is good. All other things being equal, the truck with the most dwell time will receive the load offer first.

The trouble is, the formula is complex and all other things are never equal. Dwell time is just one of many factors that determine the order in which trucks receive load offers. Most drivers, including Diane and me, do not fully understand the system. We have read some about it and talked to people at our carrier to learn more. Still, it is difficult to grasp; partly because our carrier is not entirely forthcoming with the details.

Over time we have learned to live with that. We do well under the formula. There is no need to push for details. As long as the money keeps coming in, we are content to live with the mystery."

Full story at:
http://successfulexpediters.com/Madsen/MadsenStory023c.htm

Another story that talks about how the system worked is at:
http://successfulexpediters.com/Madsen/MadsenStory008c.htm

If you talk to 10 FedEx expediters you will get 11 different explainations about how the system works. The best I can offer in explaining it is to illustrate how it has worked, and how we have made run decisions in particular situations.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
For the benefit of on-lookers in this thread, I'll take a stab at a lay explanation of the System that FedEx Custom Critical uses to determine the most appropriate truck to dispatch on any given run.

Several years ago, the carrier purchased a chuck of software that they converted to the company's modus operandi for dispatching expedite trucks. They call the system the DVA for "Dynamic Vehicle Allocation"; although, some folks think DVA means "Do Virtually Anything". The system applies a point score to a host of Driver/vehicle attributes and matches these to customer and load requirements to determine the order in which a Dispatch Agent must call drivers for dispatch assignment offers. The system removes the human factor from truck selection and a Dispatcher must call every truck in the order that the DVA has placed it in the dispatch queue. The Dispatcher must make an annotation alongside every truck in the queue that was considered, but not assigned a given run. The annotation would include comments such as, non-response on the telephone, non-response on the Qualcomm, or driver refusal

When a customer calls in a load, the Customer Service Agent determines the weight, dimensions, and type of freight such as general commodity, refrigerated, heated, HAZMAT, nuclear, or A&E. Additional factors are obtained from the customer such as urgency of pickup and/or delivery, special handling such as padding, liftgate, air ride, driver load/unload, inside pickup/delivery, ramp or dock availability, low clearances or limited maneuverability at the customer location. All of the pertinent information is entered into the DVA and the software takes a few nanoseconds to develop a dispatch queue based on the marriage of the customer requirements and the following Driver and truck attributes.

The numerous truck attributes include Dwell (layover) time, closest to the pickup, less than 75 (short run status), capability to make promised pickup time, the size and weight capacities, dock high, special equipment such as furniture pads, straps, dollies, liftgate, reefer, air ride suspension, Temperature Validation (T-Val) equipment, team or solo operation, no ride-along pets, and FAST designation, SMS and other White Glove designations.

Driver attributes include, available HOS, citizenship (for cabotage consideration), FAST qualified, HAZMAT qualifications including A&E and Nuclear, T-Val qualified, PSS and other White Glove certifications.

I'm sure I've missed several items, but I list these to demonstrate that there is quite a bit more to dispatch considerations than dwell time and <75 status. Dispatch of trucks on the west coast should not differ noticeably from other express center locations.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you, Terry for your explaination. While trying to understand the details of the DVA system is a real head scratcher, and trying to predict exactly how it will work out for you in a particular case where you and other trucks are waiting for freight is even more difficult, it is good to know that DVA creates a dispatcher audit trail in an attempt to make sure all trucks are given equal consideration.

It also highlights the wisdom of keeping a run journal, something FedEx provides free to new contractors. By using your run journal and additional information on the Extranet (FedEx's contractor web site), you can gain a better sense of how to make the system work for you on the ground and how to best position yourself for load offers.

For newbies, please note that you do not need to do it the hard way and learn from your mistakes for a year before you have enough runs of your own to figure out the system. If you start with a miles-seasoned fleet owner, your fleet owner can provide all the system coaching you need.

If you start as an owner-operator, you can quickly learn a great deal about freight flow and truck dispatch considerations by talking to other contractors that you meet on the road. Keep a recent run fresh in your mind. Run the scenerio past other drivers and ask them what deadhead or load acceptance decisions they would have made. You will find that drivers do things differently. You will also learn a great deal about how they use the system to their benefit.

Finally, if you are brand new and do not have a fleet owner, you might seek out a mentor; someone who drives the same kind of truck you do. A mentor can talk to you by telephone in real time and run-by-run about the system and your own run strategy.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The answer is that the DVA is not an exact science. After you have been around awhile you will hear many stories and have instances where you will be skipped or you will skip over others for no logical reason. The computer is not perfect in its ability to pick the proper truck for the load. All you can hope for is that it all equals out in the long run. I know how frustrating it can be to know when you are next truck out, and then see other trucks that came in after you getting dispatched. Thoughts of conspiracy and favoritism start dancing through yer head but that is not the case. There are times it all just boils down to luck and being in the right place at right time.

Now, as far as the Mcbrides, they are friends of mine and they have been picking my brain for the last 2 weeks as they have been on the west coast, and I, being a west coast truck have a pretty good working knowledge of the area. But I have to give myself an F for my assistance this time. Everywhere they went was good the day before then died as, like a magnet they also drew a crowd of trucks with them.

Now, a specific example which inspired the starting of this thread about who to ask and how to find out "exactly" how the DVA works.
Late Friday afternoon I got a call asking about what to do now, next truck out and still in Phoenix. I mentioned that almost every Friday late in the afternoon there is a specific load out of Phoenix going to Missouri, so you have a good shot at it if you are next. But then I was informed that there was an E unit that had dwell time over him and was "cherry picking" for a load east. He was parked next door and had even turned down a 950 mile run to Denver. But the assumption was that a "D" load had to be offered to a D unit before being offered to an "E". I said that I didn't think that was the case and that I was afraid the Missouri load would be offered to the "E".
So, after a hypothetical call to dispatch about the above scenario he was informed that if a D load was created it would be offered to him before the E unit. Yep, you guessed it, the E got the load to Mo.
So thats part of the frustration

Bottom line, nobody can tell you "exactly" how DVA works. It will just give you headaches and ulcers trying to figure it out. Just hope that the times it skips you will be equaled out by the times it skips others and picks you.

PS. Gary and Sharon G. it was nice meeting you folks in San Francisco yesterday and hope yer run to Maine went well (they are lurkers but don't post here)I stopped off in Winnemucca last night and deliver tomorrow in Pocatello.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This will also throw another kink into this situation and you cannot get a straight answer on where the line is between east and west for sitting near an express center. This is from a contract coordinator on being within the Express Center boundaries.
Points, if you are outside the 50 miles you lose points. When pressed about the "point system" she replied it really wasn't a point system as such but if you are outside the 50 mile perimeter you are moved to last in order. Any load offers would first go to trucks within the 50 mile range regardless of when you checked in. So in other words you have a low status for getting load offers. There are other factors (according to her) but that is THE primary factor because of the on time pick up the customer is given. The problem with this system is if you are outside the boundaries and check the QualComm you are shown you have dwell time when actually to the dispatcher you are shown still in a dead head status.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When we position ourselves for freight, we give very little consideration to how far or close to an express center we are. Dispatch can see all trucks at all times, even if they are out of service. It is not uncommon for them to call us for a load that would require us to drive through several express centers to pick up. Such calls come in even if we are out of service. If they need you, they will find you.

If we are in a given express center with a bunch of other trucks, and if we want to give ourselves an edge, we look not at miles to the center of the express center, we look at our run journal to determine where the freight most often originates.

For example, say we delivered near Ontario, CA (an express center) and there were several trucks there ahead of us waiting for freight. A lot of drivers would go to the TA there and wait. We know from our run journal that the larger portion of freight we have hauled out of the Los Angeles area (which includes Ontario) comes from Orange County. If things were slow and we were eager to run, we would go to Orange County and wait there. Doing so would probably mean that dispatch would check us into the Los Angeles express center. That would mean giving up the dwell time we built up in Ontario. No problem. We want to be where the freight is most often found, not where our dwell time can be protected.

This is not a perfect solution by any means. The more often we set up in Orange County to wait for freight, the more likely it will be that we get loads from there. The more loads we get from there, the more our run journal will show Orange County as the place to be. In other words, the run journal may develop a preferance for Orange County that may come back to bite us later.

Still, when we are waiting for freight, it is reassuring to know we may be closer to it than the trucks sitting in and around Ontario. If proximity to the freight trumps dwell time, we have the edge.

Of course, freight has to pop up for any of this to work. We might be in the right place, but is it the right time?

Our favorite place to wait in Orange County is Bolsa Chica Beach State Park near Huntington, CA. You can park a straight truck there for $10.00 a day. The ocean is just 100 yards away. Private bathrooms with sinks are in the beach houses that are positioned along the beach.

Even if it is not the right time for freight, the beach in an active freight area is a better place to be than a truck stop.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
My previous post was as an Express truck which I believe McBride's are and this had nothing to do with a White Glove truck. When you in Express you need to remember that White Glove and Express have totally separate dispatchers and separate ways of doing business.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is a good point and well taken. Still, keeping a run journal works for surface expedite too. Being close to an express center is good. Being close to the freight is better. Over time, a run journal will tell you where in an express center the freight tends to be.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Phil, in Express where the freight is and where the express center is are two different things. Once again you have to be within the Express Center to be looked at for dispatch, if you are sitting on the freight you still can and most often will be over looked at you are in a dead head status. This in not White Glove.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
ATeam wrote:
When we position ourselves for freight, we give very little consideration to how far or close to an express center we are… It is not uncommon for them to call us for a load that would require us to drive through several express centers to pick up.

This is an apparent luxury that you have. We, on the other hand, don’t seem to be given the same considerations as you and your wife. As an example; we were sitting in Tampa, Florida. We were the number 1 D unit team with over 100 hours of dwell time. A truck in Atlanta, Georgia is offered a less than desirable load to Pensacola Florida, they refuse it. The dispatcher then decided to sweeten the pot for the Atlanta team by “pre-dispatching†them on a load going to Los Angeles, California picking up the day AFTER the Pensacola delivery from Tampa, Florida. Thus: they were given a load out of the express center we were sitting in for over 100 hours as the number 1 D unit team. (A load that they had to dead head over 300 miles to get.) Does this sound like an equitable scenario to you?

ATeam wrote:
If we are in a given express center with a bunch of other trucks, and if we want to give ourselves an edge, we look not at miles to the center of the express center, we look at our run journal to determine where the freight most often originates.

Once again you seem to have the advantage over us, as we have also been told that we have to be within 50 miles of the express center regardless. If we elect to be further than 50 miles from the center of the express center and other trucks are within the 50 radius, our dwell time does not count and we will not be considered for a any load. We are essentially in “layover†limbo. Period.

ATeam wrote:
Still, keeping a run journal works for surface expedite too. Being close to an express center is good. Being close to the freight is better. Over time, a run journal will tell you where in an express center the freight tends to be.

We have a written journal of EVERY load we have taken in the last 7 years. I can tell you at any given time where we picked up, where we were sitting, what time the load was dispatched, who dispatched it…as well as, every aspect of that actual offer with regards, to locations, pieces weight, pay, deadhead miles, run miles etc. I have written documentation of every mile this truck has run since day one.

ATeam wrote:
As long as the money keeps coming in, we are content to live with the mystery."

Perhaps, if we were like you and your wife and had the “money coming inâ€, we would be content to live with the mystery.

-mcbride-

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe the Staph is spreading. A hunnerd hours ain't nothing when you're waiting in paradise. Just think about the people around you that have spent hundreds to get where you are. Enjoy it for anuther week, and maybe a Virginia Beach load will come up. Can't get any better than a couple beaches in a couple weeks.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
ATeam wrote:
If you talk to 10 FedEx expediters you will get 11 different explainations about how the system works.

When speaking with other "expediters" this is to be expected, however, this should not apply to speaking with FedEx person personnel.

When we are informed directly by FedEx personnel that we are, in fact, the number 1 truck in a particular area and that any D loads dispatched from the area will go to us regardless...and then another truck is dispatched within 2 hours of this telphone call, this is wrong regardles to whether or not we were misinformed by FedEx personnel or not. If we are not able to attain the correct information from them, then where are we supposed to get the correct information from?

Ateam, it dosen't appear to me that you and your wife have to adhere to the same set of "rules" and/or "procedures" that we do. We are mere grunts in FedEx Custom Critical world; therefore many of your scenerios and suggestions are of no value to us. (AND, I might add may not be to many others as well.)

-mcbride-

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Kinda makes ya wonder how many other times that has happened to you, don't it? Sounds like this time your buddy in the Atlanta truck maybe shouldn't have let you know what he was up to. Then you wouldn't be so uptight. That's one problem with those coffee clotches, and buddy making. It's good on one hand and not so good on the other. If the info you are looking for, is to get "even" with someone in dispatch, i'd quit look'in, suck it up, and get ready for the next load offer. Just a case of too much information, that made you feel bad and mad. It'll certainly happen again, but, maybe you won't have too much info, and won't feel so bad.