Which GPS?

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Any suggestions on the GPS systems out there. We purchased a Garmin Nuvi and it seems to want to route us on all the back roads and not the interstates. It also doesn't seem to give reverse directions. We never leave a PU or DEL the same way we came in if we follow the GPS. We are OO of a cargo van, so we thought that a GPS for truckers would not be necessary... Maybe it would keep us off the Scenic routes? Please send any advise, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Donald & Gail

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Any suggestions on the GPS systems out there. We purchased a Garmin Nuvi and it seems to want to route us on all the back roads and not the interstates. It also doesn't seem to give reverse directions. We never leave a PU or DEL the same way we came in if we follow the GPS. We are OO of a cargo van, so we thought that a GPS for truckers would not be necessary... Maybe it would keep us off the Scenic routes? Please send any advise, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Donald & Gail

I have 3 words for ya " Streets and Trips".

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks,
Donald & Gail

I find that the route out is usually better than the one it gave me coming in when it's different. Why couldn't it give me the good route coming in?

Have you gone into the menu to see what the settings are? You may be set up for shortest, not fastest.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Also, check and see if it has different types of vehicles to choose from, like Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Bus, Taxi and Emergency Vehicle.

If it's set for Car, Shortest Route, it will do just that. Fastest and Car is often the way to go, but sometimes Fastest and Truck is better. Sometime Shortest and Truck is best.

I've got an older Garmin C-550, but the routing and mapping are basically the same on all units.

The more mapping and routing tools you have at your disposal, the better. I recommend Streets & Trips, too, just not while you're driving, 'cause I won't actually go out on that limb to recommend something that is just butt stoopid for a plethora of reasons. :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Do you have it set for shortest route or quickest route? If you have it set for shortest, it's gonna send you down every gravel road and through every town. I have the Garmin 200w and set on quickest and it keeps me on the highways mostly

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
We have it set on fastest route.. This Garmin only has Car as a vehicle choice, no truck, which I thought might be part of the problem.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For stand alone units I would stick with the Rand-McNally. Fewer mistakes and very truck friendly.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
i'm not to impressed with ranmcnally like this morning lake havisue az to phonix keep trying to send me 150 miles out of route to run interstate wish we could get one with true pc miller routing doorstep to doorstep

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Desperato wrote:

i'm not to impressed with ranmcnally like this morning lake havisue az to phonix keep trying to send me 150 miles out of route to run interstate

Well did you contact Rand (as they ask us to do) i inform them of the situation?? That what makes Rands unit and the company pretty good in my book, they want your input to correct things that come up.....thats why the updates a few times a month....they look into the drivers concerns and issues they find, check them out and do their best to correct them...

No i am not a "beta-tester" for rand, i don't work for them and i paid retail for my unit....

Now if you are really not happy with your unit, send me a message, I'll be more then happy to buy it from you....let me know...:D

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Seasoned Expediter
we on our second PCMiler GPS - got the bigger screen because we are a year older LOL!

We love it. Has not steered us wrong. Tells you how fast you are going, where the scales are, programs even for Canada addresses accurately. For $299 you can get a 5" screen.
Many many features and easy to use. Follows the PCMiler routing most companies use, and tells you how much the trip is gpoing to cost you based on miles per gallon and average fuel cost. Get it at Pilot to get the special deal instead of paying $399 at TA or somewhere else. Pilot has a money back or trade guarantee for 30 days if you don't like it. You can choose different voices to tell you where to go - BRitish female, maile, american, etc,

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i'm not to impressed with ranmcnally like this morning lake havisue az to phonix keep trying to send me 150 miles out of route to run interstate wish we could get one with true pc miller routing doorstep to doorstep

How was your unit set up? Did you have it set for some kind of hazmat? Did you have it set for shortest or fastest?

When you do find problems be sure to let Rand know, they go out of their way to fix problems as they arise.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
i tryed shorest fastest its set up for no hazmat today houston to baltimore fastest less miles than shorest its ok but i guess i was spoiled with the boot leg pc miller were i had more control

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i tryed shorest fastest its set up for no hazmat today houston to baltimore fastest less miles than shorest its ok but i guess i was spoiled with the boot leg pc miller were i had more control

They are updating the software all the time. If you have specific concerns go to the TND Dock and send a "Tell Rand". They listen. If you don't want to do that send the info to me and I will pass it on for you.

Wait till you all see the new 7" unit!! It is SO COOL!! Much easier to see and work with. Lots of new software on it as well!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

bootleg. nice. nothing like not paying the maker for what they produced. how would you like to not get paid for a delivery? same thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not really the same thing. Equating not getting paid for a delivery to a bootleg copy of a piece of software that is priced so high, or for some other reason, that it would not be purchased, isn't really a valid analogy. Direct money is lost when not paid for a delivery, but for a piece of software that would not have been purchased regardless (PC Miler with street level and HAZMAT is more than five grand), the software company sees no direct loss.

If you distribute that software to others who would have otherwise purchased it, or if you actually sell it for a profit, then it's a problem, as profiting from another's work, or preventing them from profiting from their own work is a morally, ethically, legally and civilly wrong.

You have to be very careful in judging someone for obtaining a non-physical product which the software author did not produce, and did not result in a loss of revenue for the author. Not even the software authors will usually go that far.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah h*ll turtle, Software, like other forms of art should be enjoyed by the public as it is part of the right of the public to enjoy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Thanks,
Donald & Gail

As mine doesn't have reverse directions either, if I haven't a specific destination in mind [after delivery], I just type in Walmart, or a bigbox place [Lowe's, KMart], or someplace I passed on the main road coming in [RiteAid, Meijer's] and it will get me there.