whats left

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I was just sitting here wondering how many trucks are left in the expediting world,

i have seen so many friends leave expediting usually by going bankrupt that I feel the #'s have had to be reduced much further than what the companies are letting on.

I also wonder what the future holds as some of the companies are even now pulling contracts because of overcapacity.

a watch of this site even gives a few clues as the posting are not near wat they were.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was just sitting here wondering how many trucks are left in the expediting world,

i have seen so many friends leave expediting usually by going bankrupt that I feel the #'s have had to be reduced much further than what the companies are letting on.

I also wonder what the future holds as some of the companies are even now pulling contracts because of overcapacity.

a watch of this site even gives a few clues as the posting are not near wat they were.

We are handing on by very broken fingernails. Thanks to the STUPIDITY of the Federal Government, and our own urges to help those in need, we might very well lose not only our business and everything that we own. So be it. At least we did our best and MAYBE ONE VERY old and infirm persons life was enriched by our work.

moose

Veteran Expediter
had to be reduced much further than what the companies are letting on.

Dose anyone knows that to be a fact ?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wish you the best layoutshooter. The world needs more people like you out there. I have helped a few people along the way and I am still in a pricarious situation. Is there any way to raise money for some of the drivers who are struggling to make ends meet right now? I mean some of the good people who have done good things for others? What do you think Lawrence? Can we have a donation thing or a special contest where we can reward deserving drivers with gifts or something of this nature?

guido4475

Not a Member
I think they are doing it in the way of coming out with a new contract so ridiculous that when the old contract runs out they say, here is the new contract, accept it and sign it or be gone. I have seen and heard alot of that going on.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dose anyone knows that to be a fact ?

Facts about carriers can be more easily determined, like when you call them and get the message that their phone number has been disconnected and their advertising stops where it used to appear before.

While specifics about individual expediters are hard to come by in any meaningful fashion, generalities (like closed automotive plants no longer shipping expedited freight) paint a picture of a contracting expedite industry. People are understandably reluctant to talk publicly about being forced out of the business and into bankruptcy.

Larger trucking industry trends are easy to know as they are widely reported. Our little niche in the transportation industry is too small to be noticed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are handing on by very broken fingernails. Thanks to the STUPIDITY of the Federal Government, and our own urges to help those in need, we might very well lose not only our business and everything that we own. So be it. At least we did our best and MAYBE ONE VERY old and infirm persons life was enriched by our work.

I am not unsympathetic to your plight and do share some of your views about the federal government. However, the more you look to blame the government for your ills, the less power you retain to solve your problems. Every expediter operates under the same federal government you do but not all of them are hanging on by their fingernails.

And let's not forget the money we make by serving the federal government as our customer. Every year Diane and I have been in the business is a year where we made more money hauling government loads than we paid in taxes.

The government is the government and we are us. We chafe under the rules the DOT puts on trucks but earn a living on and enjoy free access to most of the highways the government builds and maintains. As citizens, we can get involved and attempt to influence the course of public policy. As self-employed, independent-contractor business people, we remain free to anticipate and react to public policy and chart our own course.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
i am holding on by afingernails to but thankful to be able to do that there are people that don't have food to eat so just be thankful that you are able to get up and work.

touble

Seasoned Expediter
RiverRat what a very good question. What is going on, how many trucks are left? I have to wonder, with the changes going on with Panther, what going on in this business and why is it so important to get a strangle hold on the drivers. I believe that many drivers have left the business ,how many I do not know, but many more will follow. Low rates, high maintenance cost, long dead heads are a real factor that we a facing. I sometimes think expediting is headed to LTL pay rates. It will be interesting to see how many companies and drivers are left by the end of the year. Sometimes no matter how hard a person squeezes a dine, it just isnt good enough.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Hey i am doing great i run 3500 miles a week and i get a huge bonus for each load and well ok i lied i just felt the post needed it since everytime a post like this comes up you get that one person that tells everyone how great its going for them. And most of the time they are obamaing.

barney

Expert Expediter
That's a good word (Obamaing ). I like that word and is useful. However the spell checker doesn't like it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe you are not informed Phil as to what Layout is referring to. I think he already knows what you are talking about, and his situation is totally separate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey i am doing great i run 3500 miles a week and i get a huge bonus for each load and well ok i lied i just felt the post needed it since everytime a post like this comes up you get that one person that tells everyone how great its going for them. And most of the time they are obamaing.

The last 4 weeks have been booming in comparison to the 4 week period before that....Talking to OTHERS it has been the same for them as well, so it is just NOT me.....
Maybe some re-examination of work habits/ethics are in order for some...It is easy to getting in the sitting habit and the " I am not moving unless I am paid" mindset.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
For the record - there are expedite carriers purging trucks, declaring bankruptcy and on their way out of business.

So.......use caution in all your business dealings.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Phil,
That was a really poor remark as an editor.

Greg,

Stop it! Just Stop IT Already! What in the heck is your problem other than the fact that you simply think you KNOW IT ALL! The Problem is that nobody likes a know it all. You are so negative and pittifully uninsightful. You maybe should be taking more advice than you give!

What Phil wrote as an editor was absolutely positively correct. We too take more every month by the way of government contract than we ever pay out in taxes! One single government run can equal the amount that we pay in income taxes every year. And, yes, most of the roads we drive on are not toll roads, they are free!

Rather than putting everyone else down Mr. KNOW IT ALL, why don't you take a look in the mirror at who you are.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Greg,

Stop it! Just Stop IT Already! What in the heck is your problem other than the fact that you simply think you KNOW IT ALL! The Problem is that nobody likes a know it all. You are so negative and pittifully uninsightful. You maybe should be taking more advice than you give!

What Phil wrote as an editor was absolutely positively correct. We too take more every month by the way of government contract than we ever pay out in taxes! One single government run can equal the amount that we pay in income taxes every year. And, yes, most of the roads we drive on are not toll roads, they are free!

Rather than putting everyone else down Mr. KNOW IT ALL, why don't you take a look in the mirror at who you are.

Well said mypie- I believe more should take Phil's lead and ignore Greg's posts. I want to but his short sighted ramblings are just so dam entertaining. It is a tough decision.