What makes a "GOOD" Truckstop??

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
Here is your chance to share with us how and what makes a Truckstop good??
Is it just the location, clean washrooms and showers, cheap fuel prices, a restraunt that has actually "PASSED" its food safety inspections, free internet service, Fire ant free?
Whatever the reasons, please feel free to share with us here...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Easy access to, getting into and leaving without diffeculties. Plenty of Fuel or gas pumps, quick and curitous clerks at fuel desks. CLEAN showers and restrooms ( 1 of my main descision makers on possible layover locations ) PLENTY of parking spots oh YEAH good food helps 2 . LOL

Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
The TA and Petro have made a tremendous upgrade to the restrooms and showers. A good truckstop will offer a sit down restaurant with electrical outlets to run my laptop. A good truckstop that has Expediter parking up front and away from the nasty, smelly and dirty big truck lot with grass for Bristol. Did I mention that a good truckstop must be clean!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As mentioned, cleanliness, accessibility and good food are the primary factors in preferring one truck stop over another.

guido4475

Not a Member
A level parking lot helps, nothing worse than trying to sleep crooked.Plenty of garbage can receptacles, Shape trees,Well cut grass,And the above that everyone else mentioned.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Plenty of fuel islands to keep trucks moving,a shop for running repairs that is nearby if not on same property. Food or restaurant isn't to much of a issue for me,but at times I do like to sit and talk at the coffee counter just to kill time.
And of course up front parking for me so I can stay away from the 53ft demolition derby that goes on every night out back:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Managers who cares. Just doesn't hide or tell a customer "that's not my job"

Place where the truck customer is more important that the old bat who can't count their change to pay for the gas they pumped.

Fuel isles that are not full of spilled fuel and pump handles that do not leak.

Garbage cans that are emptied at least every other day.

NO place for vans to park out front (had to throw that in)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Clean grounds/store

Clean restrooms with private stalls/none of those doors with the 3 inch gaps. Sorry, I don't want to see you or you seeing me in the stall

I like to be able to pump and then go in to pay. I hate having to go in wait in line to give info and credit card to turn pump on. Then go out and pump and then back in to wait in line.

Fair prices on snacks and drinks, also an offer of a free coffee and fountain soda is a nice offer for a fill up. Only the independents seem to offer this, but I like it.

I'm not much of a sit down restaurant eater so this is not important to me

Also friendly staff!!!

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I've always parked in the back with the big boys,for my traveling companions. All of the above plus or I should say minus the pot holes where I'm no longer able to see the parking lot.:rolleyes:

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All of the above, and decent coffee, really truly caring about us the cmv drivers who really keep theri business floating. and if they are going to stock cmv parts, bulbs,straps, bars, make sure supplies are in stock, or that there is someone there who is somewhat knowledgeable about them. what's with the crack about big dirty nasty trucks...we've seen some cargo/sprinter vans that need a complete sanitizing experince.
There should be ample, safe parking for all cmv regardless the size.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One that keeps the back [truck area] just as clean as the front [4 wheeler] area. Trees and grassy areas are nice, too.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
One where as an o/o leased to a small carrier I receive the same consideration as those leased to large carriers. I understand the power of bargaining, but I don't want to pay more so that someone else can pay less.

transporter

Expert Expediter
good, big, sanitary buffet. friendly waitress, plugin for computer. free shower with fill up. parking out front. trashcans and dumsters emptied regularly well lighted. and no canucks

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
1. Plenty of parking
2. Wi-fi
3. clean bathrooms and showers
4. full service restaurants where they cook instead of just warming something up, in which you eat with a real knife and fork
5. TV lounges
6. not important to me anymore, but I used to care about laundromats inside
7. shower program for expediters
8. landscaping other than concrete and asphalt, namely plenty of grass and shade trees around the lot

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
good, big, sanitary buffet. friendly waitress, plugin for computer. free shower with fill up. parking out front. trashcans and dumsters emptied regularly well lighted. and no canucks

gotta love those dumsters:rolleyes:
A clean buffet is a myth
I think you meant no OVM not no canucks;)

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Stamart in Fargo, ND is a good example of a nice truckstop. Friendly staff, free internet in drivers lounge, modern facilities, very clean, and the restaraunt has some pretty darn good food also. I passed through Carls Corner, Texas and believe it or not Willie's Place is nice also. good food at a great price and not too far south of dallas. I35W last or first exit before or after I35 depending on which way you are going. And on certain occasions Willie Nelson puts on a free concert for the drivers if you are in the area.