What has you ripping your hair out sometimes in this business?

softwareguy

Active Expediter
I quote this from another on of your posts.

"I'm not an operator, nor am I planning on it (self aware enough to realize that I'm not cut out for what you guys pull off ). However, I'm in San Francisco where everybody is going nuts about mobile apps so I am doing my research."

So which is it? Are you interested in getting into expediting or developing some type of software or app?
If you are really interested in expediting I'm sure there are many members who are willing to help you out.

I am not getting into expediting, however, I am doing research on where an app, or other sort of software may have a market in the trucking industry. The post you quoted (+ my username) shows that I never tried to fool anybody into thinking that I am getting into expediting.

Simply doing some research...

softwareguy

Active Expediter
No, he's making a joke, playing it off mine, and it's a fine attempt.
But it also illustrates a lack of knowledge and understanding about expediting. I don't worry at all, not the least little bit, not one iota ( ∙ <−− one iota), about someone that has a little clue about expediting, has intentions to get into expediting, asks no questions in order to make no app or something so they can lose money from expediting. And they certainly don't make me want to rip my hair out. :D

so what you're saying is that you're not all too enthusiastic about my questions on this board. Not even an iota of enthusiasm?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So why don't you recap.

You are trying to create software for what?

To figure out what freight is?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
so what you're saying is that you're not all too enthusiastic about my questions on this board. Not even an iota of enthusiasm?
Well, no, what I said was that I wasn't worried about it. But now that you bring it up, no, I'm not really enthusiastic about it, either. I might be if it were my project, but it's not, so I'm not. I'd have to classify myself more as apathetic or indifferent. Couldn't care less one way or the other, except, I'm doubtful that you can come up with anything that will be particularly relevant or useful to the expediting sector of the industry.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My hair is leaving my head fast enough now. I have come to the conclusion if I have enough to live on, heat in the winter, airconditioned van in the summer, plenty of bread and peanut butter, I can make it. Fuel desk will always be clogged with to many folks in a hurry and not enough clerks. Pumps will always be out of paper or broken, bathrooms will always be stinking and nasty, showers are showers, just so the water works, I'm good to go.

Fed X will always be a big topic in here and 1000s of us will ask the same questions over n over and no one will ever get a grip on fuel surcharge. But one thing I do know, I will always be first out cause I dont do the establishment thing where I have to wait in line for a load. amen.:D
PS. I approved this message:eek:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Well, no, what I said was that I wasn't worried about it. But now that you bring it up, no, I'm not really enthusiastic about it, either. I might be if it were my project, but it's not, so I'm not. I'd have to classify myself more as apathetic or indifferent. Couldn't care less one way or the other, except, I'm doubtful that you can come up with anything that will be particularly relevant or useful to the expediting sector of the industry.
I'd have to classify myself more as apathetic or indifferent. Couldn't care less one way or the other, except, I'm doubtful that you can come up with anything that will be particularly relevant or useful to the expediting sector of the industry.

Your shell has made you into a Pompous ***. You need to drive more, type less and humble your comments more. You’re so full of yourself that if you were to carry on in person as you do here, you would be popped up side head more often than you could handle.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your shell has made you into a Pompous ***. You need to drive more, type less and humble your comments more. You’re so full of yourself that if you were to carry on in person as you do here, you would be popped up side head more often than you could handle.

The personal attacks aren't necessary.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Turtle's comments were in regards to his project, not him personally.
Just leave it at that.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

There is no reason for you to attack him for how he feels, his feelings are his own. He has been around for awhile and may feel that questions like this take away from the value of the site.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Camper had it nailed in post #3: read back a ways, and you'll find a lot of what has us ripping our hair out sometimes. And if you find some way to create an app that solves any of those issues, I might even buy it. [And it'd be the first, lol]

Note to Lugnut: Turtle replied to exactly the question he was asked - you were way out of line with your comments.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The funny thing is, everything I've said in this thread has been said with humor, which is something that I think softwareguy "gets".

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The funny thing is, everything I've said in this thread has been said with humor, which is something that I think softwareguy "gets".

Seems like it or he isn't a cry baby because he gave you a jab back after you made your comment.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And his jab was with a big smile, same as my comments. Oh, well.

softwareguy

Active Expediter
Whoa. How dramatic! I didn't intend to stir anything up. Well, yes I did, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for hair-ripping experiences in the business... :p

Now, Turtle, you have said that

I'm doubtful that you can come up with anything that will be particularly relevant or useful to the expediting sector of the industry"

which is obviously what I am myself most afraid of. Creating an irrelevant product should be left for the organizations with huge, annoying sales teams.

One thing I noticed that seems to be a problem in this business is communicating (even though this thread may suggest otherwise :D ). Whether that is between a driver and dispatch, shipper and carrier, broker and consignee, driver and consignee, etc, etc,... I keep on being told how great it is to have cell phone and email now because it used to be a lot harder. Are you kidding me? My email inbox is a nightmare. I hate it. Not as much as I hate talking on the phone while driving in an area with crappy reception but I still hate it. I went on vacation last week to come back to over 1200 emails. That is no communication tool for business that happens in real time.

In the age of twitter, facebook and other networks that allow you to rapidly communicate with large groups of people, I am sort of surprised that I keep on hearing cell phone + email from people I talk to that are involved with moving freight.

softwareguy

Active Expediter
Camper had it nailed in post #3: read back a ways, and you'll find a lot of what has us ripping our hair out sometimes. And if you find some way to create an app that solves any of those issues, I might even buy it. [And it'd be the first, lol]

Note to Lugnut: Turtle replied to exactly the question he was asked - you were way out of line with your comments.

On it! Just need to jot down your CC number real quick over here.... ;)

softwareguy

Active Expediter
So why don't you recap.

You are trying to create software for what?

To figure out what freight is?

Greg,

That's exactly what I am attempting to figure out. Software for what? Our last project was in the taxi / limo industry and we built a fully automated dispatch (read: no people). A customer hits a button on their phone, their location data is sent to our server and matched with the closest taxi / limo to their location (each taxi also transmits their location and availability data automatically).

I was thinking of introducing that technology to the trucking industry and while looking into that realized that there seem to be more pressing issues. Linking a customer with a cab was easy because the transaction only happens between 2 parties, which is definitely not the case with freight.

My original idea was creating a "real time loadboard". A shipper posts a load and my auto-dispatch figures out where the closest truck is (or calculates where it is going to be by maintaining an itinerary). The technology these loadboards run on has been around since the mid-90s. That was the stone-age of the internet, yet it still is the norm. However, talking to carriers, reading forums like this one I came to realize pretty quick that moving loads is mostly about relationships. You can have the most amazing technology in the world running the whole thing, it'll still fall apart if the various parties can't (or don't want to) communicate properly.

So to make a long answer slightly longer, I *think* the software I want to create is a communication platform for individual loads. Less email, less phone calls, more information spread automatically across more people in less time. <- Ok, coming up with sentences like this means I am getting excited.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

That's exactly what I am attempting to figure out. Software for what? Our last project was in the taxi / limo industry and we built a fully automated dispatch (read: no people). A customer hits a button on their phone, their location data is sent to our server and matched with the closest taxi / limo to their location (each taxi also transmits their location and availability data automatically).

I was thinking of introducing that technology to the trucking industry and while looking into that realized that there seem to be more pressing issues. Linking a customer with a cab was easy because the transaction only happens between 2 parties, which is definitely not the case with freight.

My original idea was creating a "real time loadboard". A shipper posts a load and my auto-dispatch figures out where the closest truck is (or calculates where it is going to be by maintaining an itinerary).

Oh man there are some dispatchers I would love see get replaced by a computer. This idea could work well in the regular trucking industry since the dispatchers could easily be replaced there, heck they could be replaced with monkeys. You would need programming that could account for average speed, length of haul, hours of service, and for a driver to go out of service. It may be capable of working with an expedite carrier that just pays a flat rate per mile and where dispatchers do little more than press a few buttons, but that is not the case for a lot of expedite companies. You would have to market this to the big carriers since smaller carriers work off of the we are like family recruiting approach.