Weight vs Comfort

paullud

Veteran Expediter
In setting up my cargo van I got part way through and weighed the van and noticed that I am getting close to having a 2000lb payload capacity. Is this enough or if I add more and it drops it down to only being able to carry 1500lbs is that a big mistake?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In setting up my cargo van I got part way through and weighed the van and noticed that I am getting close to having a 2000lb payload capacity. Is this enough or if I add more and it drops it down to only being able to carry 1500lbs is that a big mistake?
Always keep in mind...the more limitations you subject yourself to the more your income will shrink....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I used to be a truck driver and 500lbs meant little before but when you have a much lower GVWR it is a much bigger percentage of what you can carry and can cause problems. I am sure the 500lb difference could cost some loads but I wasn't sure if the majority of loads are between 1500-2000lbs or are under.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to be a truck driver and 500lbs meant little before but when you have a much lower GVWR it is a much bigger percentage of what you can carry and can cause problems. I am sure the 500lb difference could cost some loads but I wasn't sure if the majority of loads are between 1500-2000lbs or are under.
Depends on the dispatch type of your carrier...some think bigger is better and some seem to acquire some smaller loads....you could try it...if ya feel like you are losing out you could trim down the baggage a little....some carriers won't sign you on with less then 2,000 lbs....and there is a reason for that.....dispatch expends extra time trying to get you loaded..after awhile they just don't try so hard...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In setting up my cargo van I got part way through and weighed the van and noticed that I am getting close to having a 2000lb payload capacity.
What is the GVWR for your van? You may have already limited yourself with a ½ ton van.

Balancing comfort and load capacity with a van is always tricky. Review what you have done so far. Can you use smaller dimension lumber, thinner plywood, do you need a passenger seat? Shaving a few pounds off here and there and make a difference.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I'd say 1500 lb capacity would be a big mistake. Even if the carrier allowed it, dispatch will sometimes overlook the numbers and offer a load heavier than you can safely carry, and the temptation to accept [knowing you will skate past most of the scales] is great - but so is the risk to your van.
Better to keep the maximum capacity as high as possible, IMO. As Moot said, substituting lighter weight wherever you can is always a good idea.
PS Ramen noodles are lighter than bologna sandwiches....:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The van has a GVWR of 9400lbs but has a diesel motor so it started off a little heavier than a gas engine. I was thinking about removing the rear bumper and putting a fiberglass roll pan in place and replacing the windows in the back with aluminium sheet metal.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Buy more then a few of those fiberglass roll pans....when forktruck driver hit the back of the van with no protection of the bumper, you will be replacing it once a month or so...and replacing the glass with aluminmum isn't going to be of much help when you need hundreds of lbs additional capacity...

1st the weight slip given to your carrier should have been one of the completely empty van...then you need one after the upfit...then you use your head as to taking loads...and don't think that 500-800 lbs over the gvw rating isn't happening daily and that isn't going to have a determential affect on your van. just use your head when driving...that 9400 lb chassis will handle upwards to 10,000 lbs gvw with no problem....

Now let the butt rippin begin...:D

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you sign on with companies that will keep you moving like crazy, you won't need all of them toys to keep you entertained. I am like John Elliott, all you need is a sleeping bag and a change of clothes. That's how I did it for over 2 years until I finally got a netbook and a working radio! Why do you need all that crap any how? I might add an air con and generator, and a portable satellite television kit, but those don't weigh that much.

I once seen a guy who had a plug in fireplace inside his van with a mantle and everything! I guess he wanted to feel like he was in a vacation home or something. All I got now is a beat up nasty mattress, some clothes, a pillow, a small tool box, road flares, fire extinguisher, 1 netbook, 1 sirius satellite radio, and 4 load straps! I haven't had much time to sit lately, so I really don't need to be a rolling hotel room.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That is actually my concern with the steel bumper, I figure they will just dent it up. I think the roll pan can get set back pretty far to avoid contact but doesn't mean they won't run the forks through it.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why do you need all that crap any how?

I really don't have that much in there, no tv, air conditioner, or anything like that. I know the turbo diesel motors are heavier starting out and I will also be running with my wife so we will have more "stuff" than some.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a E 350 ext, Diesel. With the two dogs, myself, what I take on the road & a full tank of fuel I'm rated for over 2400 lbs. It would seem you should be able to get along with out some things. And I don't mean your bride.:p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have a E 350 ext, Diesel. With the two dogs, myself, what I take on the road & a full tank of fuel I'm rated for over 2400 lbs. It would seem you should be able to get along with out some things. And I don't mean your bride.:p

How many pounds did you scale out at empty? 7000lbs? Did you build a bunk?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
My Cat scale ticket is 7080lbs. I don't use a bunk. I have a couple of foam mattress pads from Dollar General and a sleeping bag, a couple of blankets. Cooler, 12' chain, 4 straps, couple gallons of Shell Rotella, some paper back books & some tapes, 5 lb bag of dry dog food & some canned dog food. Since the last scale ticket I have removed the metal door off the bulk head and it weighs (a guess) at least 30 lbs.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My Cat scale ticket is 7080lbs. I don't use a bunk. I have a couple of foam mattress pads from Dollar General and a sleeping bag, a couple of blankets. Cooler, 12' chain, 4 straps, couple gallons of Shell Rotella, some paper back books & some tapes, 5 lb bag of dry dog food & some canned dog food. Since the last scale ticket I have removed the metal door off the bulk head and it weighs (a guess) at least 30 lbs.

Thank you sir, I will rethink putting a bunk in and just use your idea of the foam mattress pads which seems like an excellent way to keep weight down and keep space available for freight.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can appreciate foam pads on the floor and a sleeping bag, but man when the winds of winter start blowing, that can get cold..get a GOOD quality floding cot and use a foam pad and sleepng bag...getting off the floor is key....

I use a extra big (wide) cot from Bass Pro, a twice size air mattress with a electric heated matress pad over that and a sleeping bag...I also have a fitted sheet and a quilt over the materess too, but I am not concerned with weight...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I can appreciate foam pads on the floor and a sleeping bag, but man when the winds of winter start blowing, that can get cold..get a GOOD quality floding cot and use a foam pad and sleepng bag...getting off the floor is key....

I use a extra big (wide) cot from Bass Pro, a twice size air mattress with a electric heated matress pad over that and a sleeping bag...I also have a fitted sheet and a quilt over the materess too, but I am not concerned with weight...

I am planning to leave the rubber mat in place then put Reflectix over that and then of course a plywood floor. I think it will work for the summer and fall but I was thinking for the winter I will build a low platform and then put some foamboard insulation in it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jack and Gracie Berry have a Espar heater and jack did just exactly what you are talking about doing with the floorof their ford van..their bed is also about 8-10 insxhs off the floor...ask Gracie how cold the floor gets...she still is not happy with hiw the ducts for the espr were routed....

Most will tell you to "hang" your sshoes up off the floor in the winter in a CV...cold shoes are not fun at all...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Jack and Gracie Berry have a Espar heater and jack did just exactly what you are talking about doing with the floorof their ford van..their bed is also about 8-10 insxhs off the floor...ask Gracie how cold the floor gets...she still is not happy with hiw the ducts for the espr were routed....

Most will tell you to "hang" your sshoes up off the floor in the winter in a CV...cold shoes are not fun at all...

Well I guess if 8-10 is not far enough off the floor the 3-4 inches I was planning on will be an issue. I found an old thread where it was suggested not to use a hammock.