Virtual Truck Stops

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You see the case of over thinking so often when programs are designed by office people and techs with no real world input. It happens in all industries not just ours. What might sound like a great idea to some people sitting around a table just is not usually the case in practice.

I still do not understand why they just do not show cities on the map and recent averages. When a city has an average load count it can show up when it drops to zero the city disappears. From a programing standpoint it is not all that hard and I imagine that same info could be sent via qc. It seems like they want "boards" of one sort or another when in many ways it is detrimental to the best customer service.

First outs have some good things and I am sure they need some incentive to get short runs covered. (hmm dollars might work) But in allot of cases they do stink. It does not seem right that someone can be sitting for a day or more and then a first out pop up in front of them causing them to sit longer. Maybe after a certain amount of empty time a truck needs to be awarded a first out to avoid being bumped by another first?

I too will wait and see but these are just some random thoughts I have. If they stick with the 30 check in I will have some random thoughts I won't be able to post in a public forum.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I guess we just have to look on the bright side, At least all these changes are being done while most of GM and Chrysler are idle, and car sales are down 50% so the Expedite Pie is already pretty small right now. Some might say they dont haul much auto freight, but with all those trucks that do, looking for freight I think we all would be slow anyway. Just by the sheer number of trucks looking for freight. Hopefully they will get all the bugs worked out before the car makers get back to full production, and every one needs something Expedited...........
________
property for sale in Pattaya

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hmmm...anyone else feeling like a mushroom?

No-body knows, the truffles I've seen...
No-body knows, but fungi.
No-body knows, the truffles I've seen...
Glory portabella.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
One of the things that we are looking at is increasing mini pay and getting rid of the first outs. Because with fewer and fewer boards you could get to the number 1 out only to have several 1st outs hit you and push you back down. Which from reading the board is happening a lot

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In the same breath for council members, they need to get rid of this check in/checkout and 30 mile radius business.
I have yet to hear why there would be any benefit to this.
Unless I am missing something, it does nothing but create excessive deadhead, kills the solo operators because of hours, and generate a batch of calls to relations to determine where other trucks are actually located.
The only other issue that it is likely trying to address is people moving to a board with no way to track it until they arrive.
That issue can be resolved by using the new map program.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Speaking for cargo vans only the information that I am getting from dispatch and driver relations the vans that are closest to the shipper is going to get the load offer no matter if they are within the 30 mile's or not. And A lot of the older van drivers know where the shippers are and that is where A lot of them sit now.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Talked to Panther today and was told that they may not be ready for any changes in the new vt thing for tomorrow, may be another week or soon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'd prefer it to be properly implemented so that it works and provides the fleet the information it needs to best position itself. A week or two, a month or two, I don't care, as long as they do it right.

On the other hand, if they're gonna take the extra week just to get it wrong, well, they can do that right now. :D

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Wonder if they'll send a message to the fleet letting everyone know. Wonder if they'll have the maps available to those of us that are just lowly "drivers for an owner" I wonder if........

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
savanna,ga is on the jacksonville,FL board and we did not get an empty move to anyplae and jacksonville is a zero a day board a very zero a day board.closest board with an opening was 260 miles away

For this to really work panther needs to send empty moves to open boards no matter how far away they are

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of 1st out's. We were hit with 2 dry runs over the weekend. Both times we had to call in to have our 1st out reinstated. This is a problem. This morning, we were sent an offer that was too large for our truck. We had to call again to get our 1st out reinstated (we dropped to the bottom of the list). In the meantime, another truck was given a 1st out so we are now the 2nd 1st out.
I've been trying to get an explanation, and have been told that the other trucks time stamp was before ours. The only thing I can figure, is that each time we have to call in to get a 1st out reinstated, that is the time stamp used. Does any of this make any sense? A truck can sit in one place for days at a time, and still be bypassed due to circumstances beyond their control.

As I have typed, the other 1st out has gotten a load, and here we sit in the same place for the 3rd day.
Rant over. :mad:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Your question should have been,,, if the other truck had a longer dwell time how is it that I was ahead of them for the last few days? It looks like they didn’t go back far enough to check your time and did just what you thought they did they went back to the time you were given your first out back.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I did ask that question Scuba, How could they have more time when, we'd had 2 dry runs, one on Friday and one on Sat. and a load that we couldn't take because of the number of pallets this morning. In the mean time, the truck that bumped us got a load and we moved back to 1.

Since posting this, another 1st out came in, bumping us to #2. Called again, explained all of this again, and now we've moved back up. This is ridiculous!

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
and that 30 or 50 miles run does not work in ALT it's just to big most the truck stops within 30 miles are über crime ridden hell holes

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Has any one been told when this new system is going to start, or is this something we are going to have to call in everyday and ask people that have no ideal themselves?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has any one been told when this new system is going to start, or is this something we are going to have to call in everyday and ask people that have no ideal themselves?

It will start when it starts. I am not sure what calling daily and asking will accomplish?