Virtual Truck Stops

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I would like to know who decided on the Truck Stops for the Virtual Boards. After reading the TS availble I see that they have covered about every Flying J in the country. ( of which I have had food poisoning way to many times and will only stop at a select few) Did something change that I was not informed about.... Like J is now excepting comdata cards and giving us a great fuel discount like the TA's are. The second choice for TS are Pilots did they suddenly make a major increase in there parking lots to park more then 15 trucks. And did they add sit down resturants where you can get a halfway decent meal. And did they add garages so you can get repairs done. I know that straight Trks and vans this is not a majior issue. But for the T/T it is. Also Panther uses TA's for all of its emergency repair work on trailers. I'm glad that there was alot of thought put into this but maybe Panther needs to have the input of those that need and use TS all the time. Sure am happy to be a Partner with Panther maybe next time they waste there time on doing boards we will not be the silent partner and they will ask us for our input.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Clearly, the Truck Stop list is one of a courtesy and not necessarily where you are supposed to go. Flying J's have really crappy food (well, the buffet is dangerous, but ordering off the menu isn't as bad), and they don't scan paperwork, two things that were obviously not taken into consideration.

It does give one pause to see truck stops on the list which are more than 30 miles out, though. What's up with that?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Many on that list are more than 30 miles out. My personal opinion is the radius needs to be increased. Terminals like Boston need to be eliminated and moved inwards. 120 mile radius doesn't work well with coastal towns.
Case in point. If one say delivers in CT, why would I want to go to Boston to get in line, only to get a load in CT which we know they do freight out of. Ones DH could get out of control if they aren't careful, especially with fuel on the increase. In that case, one would have close to 200 miles in DH that was never needed in the first place. Some places like SLC it would make sense. Other places make no sense and just inflate ones operating costs.

indydad11934

Seasoned Expediter
As a van driver, I prefer Flying J because they seem to be the only major truck stop who understands the needs of the little guy. I take advantage of their showers, drinks, and coupon reimbursement program. I choose Flying J because they take care of me.

Also, I wish Panther would have a few actual (not virtual) driver terminals scattered around the country. It would make a world of difference (especially during the summer) to have somewhere to go to meet other drivers, turn in paperwork, take a shower, or take a nap while waiting for that next load offer.
Just an opinion!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Clearly, the Truck Stop list is one of a courtesy and not necessarily where you are supposed to go. Flying J's have really crappy food (well, the buffet is dangerous, but ordering off the menu isn't as bad), and they don't scan paperwork, two things that were obviously not taken into consideration.

It does give one pause to see truck stops on the list which are more than 30 miles out, Is thhat's up with that?

I thought each truck stop listed was a vt and had a 30 mile radius around it. Am I not understanding Panther correctly?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok, i listened to the audio again I did mis-understand. Does anyone know yet what the empty move rate is?

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Today we were offered a empty move from Buffalo NY to Utica NY 200 miles for a rate of 36.00 which caculates to 18 cents a mile we are a T/T. When fuel was a $ 1. 45 we got 28 cents a mile. Choke Choke gag gag this a total joke. It cost 32 cents a mile just to run the NY turnpike. Then what a 100 mile load from there to Conn. Put ourselves OS and went home. Think it is time to park the truck and work for a company. Can't afford to be squeezed anymore.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For what it is worth.
My last understanding of a few days ago is that a new EM plan goes into effect June 1st. Supposed to pay 75 percent of the fuel.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Also if you do take the e/m you will NOT lose it if you turn down a load this is a first for Panther. In the past if you took an e/m and didn't take the first load offered you lost your e.m money.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I want to see that In writing from Panther. Not that I have a reason to mistrust them but.....seeing is believing.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Has anyone gotten an EM offer and been paid for it in the last 2 days, what about vans any of you got one with pay? After all it is June 2 and this was to start on June 1st.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't really care on the when. I am more concerned that it is done right.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Has anyone heard of any updates as to how this new system is going to work, all the van drivers I have talked to say they are going to keep doing things the way they always did and go to the areas where they know the loads come out of, and dispatch is saying that the trucks closest to the pick up will still get the loads. So if that is the case why the big fuss in this 30 mile thing at places that are 150 miles from the pick ups. I would like to try this new system but not if vans go close to the pick up spots and get the loads and the ones that are with in the 30 miles get left hanging.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Ok i would like some feedback from other drivers on how the new V/T is working out for you. Are finding that your deadhead is increasing / decreasing. If you make the move do you seem to get loaded any quicker than you were before? Please July 1 we can't speak for you if you aren't giving us feedback.
Thank you

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
unpaid long (over 150 miles) empty moves are up about 40% once and a while you get lucky and get a load offer before get closer than 150 miles out and get some dead head pay but not often

half the time you don't get an board position/empty suggested move offer so you have no clue what board your authorized to be on