Virtual Truck Stops

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Ok I have been going to the truckstops on the list and just been getting loads in areas where I used to sit all the time for example I used to stay at the J in Walton, KY but I changed to the pilot in Georgetown but both loads have come from Florence.
And still have not got told what board they want me on.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Ok I have been going to the truckstops on the list and just been getting loads in areas where I used to sit all the time for example I used to stay at the J in Walton, KY but I changed to the pilot in Georgetown but both loads have come from Florence.
And still have not got told what board they want me on.

Ok where are you finding a truck stop list? The link on the drivers web dosnt work, I called contractors relations and they said it dont work because there is nothing there..
________
Redhead live

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So far it's not working at all. Can't see enough boards around you, can't see where the loads are coming from (by default, the old boards told you where not to go, and where the freight was coming from), can't see the location of any of the other trucks on any of the boards. Empty move? What's that? We're working on far less information today than we were a month ago. At this point it's a solid F.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet document. Excel will open it, as will MS Works. If you don't have a spreadsheet program, this will open it, depending on which version you want or need. (9.9 MB)
Download details: Excel Viewer 2003

• Microsoft Office Excel 2003
  • Microsoft Excel 2002
  • Microsoft Excel 2000
  • Microsoft Excel 97

If you need a viewer for Excel 2007 documents (which the above Panther document is NOT), then get this one, as it's updated for Excel 2007 (74.1 MB).
Download details: Excel Viewer 2007

• Microsoft Office Excel 2007
  • Microsoft Excel 2002
  • Microsoft Excel 2000
  • Microsoft Excel 97

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
It's a Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet document. Excel will open it, as will MS Works. If you don't have a spreadsheet program, this will open it, depending on which version you want or need. (9.9 MB)
Download details: Excel Viewer 2003

• Microsoft Excel 2002
  • Microsoft Excel 2000
  • Microsoft Excel 97

If you need a viewer for Excel 2007 documents (which the above Panther document is NOT), then get this one, as it's updated for Excel 2007 (74.1 MB).
Download details: Excel Viewer 2007

• Microsoft Office Excel 2007
  • Microsoft Excel 2002
  • Microsoft Excel 2000
  • Microsoft Excel 97

or if you have PX privileges because your a retiree or something you can get OFFICE from AAFES for 49 dollars sometime the system will let any vet get it but i did not tell you that.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
oh and "a grade of F" and "hate it" are really being overly tactful in this situation . an F- would still be a kind way to say it

termite289

Expert Expediter
let us begin with a few notions of how i have done things in the past.
i used to sleep at my customers dock on Sunday nights, so that i could use line 5 to get me to a truck stop after unloading Monday morning, and save my hours. using the electronic log book more effectively to maximize my hours, is intended to maximize profits for panther and me.
now, the virtual terminals are normally more than the 30 min away from where i unload, so cant get there on line 5, so since my 14 hour clock is started first thing Monday morning, im not reloading till Tuesday.
cause ya cant haul freight when ya got no hours.
I always considered 15:00 to 18:00 "magic hour" for when the mistakes have to be fixed. doesn't expedite mean that we fix someone's mistake. Schneider broke down, swift fell off the interstate, they can't get their regular truck so they call us. but if i start my 14 hour clock at 07:30 driving to check in, then by 15:00 i only have six and a half hours left on my 14, so more swaps, costing more money, cause it takes more drivers to do the job.
granted it isn't my company, and as i have always said when they take loads away from me that i have hours to do, "it's y'alls freight, swap it if you want to." but that requires tracking down other trucks, and paying more deadhead to get the loads from point a. to point b.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Can someone (hopefully from Panther if they read these forums) answer why they changed the boards in the first place?? Back what was it a year or so ago. The boards were a 50 mi around the cities or towns that the freight came out of. Yes alot of boards and yes some were within 50 miles of each other, but so what. The trucks were spread out to cover them isnt that what they should be trying to do?? Get the trucks close to where they can service the Customers?? Why make things difficult?? Why complicate the simple??Get the trucks close to the Customer............
________
Park Royal 3 Condo Prathumnak

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
These boards will do that, as they are all, for the most part, within 120 miles of our most regular shippers. But they are far too large, and the 25 miles of the Virtual Terminal itelf is far too small, for the fleet to effectively position itself. The only way these boards will work effectively is when we look at the maps to see where we are, we need little dots to show where everyone else is, too, which will allow the fleet to more evenly space itself out within a given board. Without the knowledge of where other trucks in our class are located, these baords become useless for the purposes of fast and efficient service to the customer.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Right now we're sitting in the Romulus board, according to the drivers web, there are 19 trucks here. Since the drivers web doesn't show an updated map, just how big is the Romulus board? Yes, the board says Romulus, but does that mean the city center, or is that just what they are calling this particular "Virtual Terminal"? We are at the TA x 167 off I94 and I only see 1 Panther van and 1 Panther straight truck. Where is everyone else? I don't like the lack of communication from Panther as to when they will get this finished or when all of the NEW stuff will be implemented. I agree with Turtle....this is a solid F. :mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Right now we're sitting in the Romulus board, according to the drivers web, there are 19 trucks here. Since the drivers web doesn't show an updated map, just how big is the Romulus board?
120 mile radius. 120 mile radius. 120 mile radius. Gotta keep up. :D

Yes, the board says Romulus, but does that mean the city center, or is that just what they are calling this particular "Virtual Terminal"?
Both in this case. The Romulus board extends out in a perfect mathematical circle for 60 miles in all directions, encompassing Jackson, Toledo, Sandusky, Chatham, Flint, and grossly overlaps the Lansing board's coverage.

We are at the TA x 167 off I94 and I only see 1 Panther van and 1 Panther straight truck. Where is everyone else?
Exactly. Need to see the dots of where everyone else is. In the case of the Romulus board, they could be down in Monroe casing Layoutshooter's place, at the J in Toledo, at the Walmart in New Baltimore, or, more likely, it's just a bunch of ex-UAW members sitting at home waitin' on that 1800 mile run.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"What happened to the 30 mile radius? I'm soooooooooooooo confused!!!"

The Virtual Terminal is a 30 mile radius. Apparently, you have to go within that 30 mile radius to "check in" to be on that board.

Each Virtual Terminal is the center of a 120 mile radius of our most regular shippers, so that when you are within that magical circle you are never more than 120 miles from a shipper. Sounds great, as most vehicles will be within 60 miles of most shippers.

But if you are 50 miles from, say, Rolumus, the QC (and online) will tell you that you are on the Rolumus board, even though technically, technically, it's merely telling you the closest board, and you really need to be within 30 miles of that board to tecnically be on it.

The problem is the QC is on one page, and the Virtual Terminals program is on another, as yet unfishined page. According to all the information we've received thus far, if you are more than 30 miles from the center of a Virtual Terminal, then you are not on a board at all, and you will not be on one unless and until you go "check in". So, it would seem, that when this is all fully functional, if you are 50 miles from Romulus, your QC and online will not recognize you as being on a board or having a board position.

That's why I give this whole thing, as least what we've seen of it to date, and the information that we've been given, a solid F.

This entire thing is designed from the perspective of theory and not from applied theory. This reminds me of Communism, in that it looks great on paper, but it don't work with people. The Virtual Terminals sounds like a great idea, gets everyone huddled up and ready to get loaded, but when you apply it for-real, it doesn't work. They're asking us to trade critical HOS hours and deadhead time and expenses for the sake of simplicity.

This is set up so that you could concievably have nearly every truck and van incurring as much as 200 miles of unpaid deadhead on a daily basis between delivery of one load and picking up the next load, between deadheading to the "check-in" point and then the unpaid 100 minimum to get another load. It won't be that much, of course, but looking at things from a practical, conservative standpoint, I can see that there could very well be a 25%-30% increase in unpaid deadhead miles across the board.

Sure, paid Empty Moves will help, but according to the information we've received, it won't help much, if at all, and in most cases will be counter-productive. There is no reason to deliver a load in St Louis, and then have to deadhead 2 hours to Columbia to "check in", just to have to deadhead right back to St Louis to get loaded out again. Oh, and while this is all going on, you've just destroyed your hours. Excellent.

Bottom line is, this will (a) require too much wear and tear on the vehicle for not enough return, and (b) start your clock with no productivity. And in the end, we're less efficient as a fleet, because contrary to the theory on paper, we are definitely not properly positioned as a fleet.

"But before they messed with the boards you could already tell how many trucks were within a 50mi of Jackson, Flint, Saginaw Toledo, ETC. So you knew how many trucks you were competing with and about where they were."

My point exactly.

This is still in the pre-implementation stage, so I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, but I do know that regardless of how it is implemented, if we can't see where every other vehicle in our class is located on a given board, it will be absolutely impossible for the fleet to effeciently and effectively reposition itself based on 120 mile radius boards. Can't be done.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
not an F but an F- a big red huge fraking F- with several minus sign and maybe to the third or fourth power .... with and exclamation point at the end ... but worse.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm trying to be kind because it's not yet fully implemented.

And because I don't want my lease shredded, stuff into an envelope, and mailed to me. :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At this point, we are taking a wait and see approach as well. The biggest point would be the excessive DH that likely won't materialize. Which will make the whole thing useless.
As mentioned before, if we unload in Louisville or Cincinnati, we have no interest in going to Lexington, only to return to those two towns to get loaded. The whole 30 mile check in/check out business, needs to be scrapped. In that same barrel, they can throw in the first out program. With fewer boards, your have three and four first outs in one area. It turns into the same trucks running most of the loads. LA comes to mind. We got up to first truck out one day, and poof, we are number four or five the next. We had to DH out of LA to San Diego to get loaded the next day. We wound up burning a day that we shouldn't have.
One of the first outs was way over in Vegas. Umm....how would we know without calling?
That scenerio plays out in a lot of locations.
Being within 30 accomplished nothing when there were 9 trucks on the board.
My feeling is they should have left the old boards, and only made adjustments in places like Louisiana. Didn't really need 20 boards there.

Last edited: