Van Loads to big trucks

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Danny,

"If they will stick it to one contractor,they will stick it to another weather he is delivering on a bicycle or a $200,000.00 truck."

And there you have it !

When honesty as a value becomes unimportant to a company there isn't really but one direction they are headed. The reason is simply that whatever success they may have already achieved was likely based in large part on being honest and ethical in the first place, as they rose to the level they are currently at.

All the rah-rah, PR, and talk about values, integrity, etc. is worthless if you don't actually try to practice it daily in all that you do.

It's a very good point to make.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Steve,
Yes I am leased to Landstar, and yes it is percentage based rates.
But I will tell you this, because of their system, which is not like any of the other carriers, a van load will always be offered first to the available vans, then and only then, will the load be offered to a larger truck or whoever it takes to assure that the load is covered.
I got into this discussion based on princable not problem.
Anyway you look at it the most important element of this business is THE CUSTOMER, because without them there would not be a need for any of us. The second level of importance is the O/O's and drivers because we make it happen. Without us the freight doesn't move. Be it Van, St truck, or T/T, each has a very important purpose and place in this industry. Therefore when it comes to a carrier not realizing the importance of each group,and abusing the existance of one of these groups, it has probly forgotten what got them to where they are today.
There are exceptions to the rule, Companies that started with one type of truck that they felt covered the most available freight out there. Only later to add some T/T's and even a Sprinter or two. And this company has done very well from what I understand.

With respect,
Danny

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Terry,

I understand what you are saying.

Your last post then begs a question or two:

Is the price quoted to the customer always based on the cheapest vehicle available to service the load ? IOW, are the C/S reps aware of vehicle availability for the load when they make the quote ?

If ultimately, a larger truck is sent to service the load that was quoted at a lower vehicle rate who eats the difference - the o/o or the company ?

As to losing customers to other carriers because one can't service a load with larger vehicle at a cheaper rate - yeah I suppose that's a possibility - at least for that one load. Whether or not the loss becomes a permanent thing or not is probably dependent on a lot of factors. Obviously servicing the customer is of high importance.

My guess is that no customer is ever married to any company - if it's in their best interest to go elsewhere they will. There's alot of competition out there.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Is the price quoted to the customer always based on the cheapest vehicle available to service the load ? IOW, are the C/S reps aware of vehicle availability for the load when they make the quote ?

If ultimately, a larger truck is sent to service the load that was quoted at a lower vehicle rate who eats the difference - the o/o or the company ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Customer Service Agent that books a load has truck availability on the screen. They can make a determination, at the time of booking, that the right size vehicle with the necessary equipment will most likely be available. They are looking at layovers, inbound trucks, trucks coming off of OOS status, trucks' HOS availability. The load is either booked immediately, or tentatively booked. The booking is then sent to a Dispatch Agent for vehicle assignment. Many loads are scheduled for days or weeks in advance, so the CSA will have to rely on historical availability data when booking the load.

A normal 1000# load would be booked at the Van, or "B" rate. If no van will accept the load, or none are available, the company will send in the next largest size truck at the original price quoted. A "D" truck might be offered that 1000# load at "B" prices if there are plenty of "D"s available; otherwise, the "D" will be offered the load at "C" prices. If the Dispatcher is not successful there then a "D" price might be necessary to get the load covered. We are paid by percentage of tariff so the carrier absorbs the extra cost if the truck is paid more than its' contract share of the tariff.

My comments are based on a few hours sitting with Customer service Agents and Dispatchers at our carrier and my observations out on the road; I'm not quoting company policy, because I've never seen the in-house handbook.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In my case, I eat it as a D unit. If they want the load moved badly enough, and there are no vans around, they should pay me more, and sometimes it comes over that way. I think it depends on how much cushion for profit there is in the load. If I don't want it (no benefit to move me, et al) then I just say no. (Like the .80c van load with 2 drops into NYC from CT).
Judging that the originator of the post is with LEAM, I would say he might be passed over for a D unit. That outfit is so plagued with favoritism and agents undercutting other agents, that it would not surprise me one bit.

Any reputable carrier will offer the load to a van, if it is a van load. Perhaps this question would not come up, if not for the fact (and everyone knows it), this business is OVERLOADED with vans.

Remember the sign by TST on 94 in MI. BIG bucks for small trucks! Every person up in years or recently laid off can think he will get a van and start making good money. What a crock- and sign is a lie anyway: TST is still one of the cheapest out there!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh boy this all sounds like…
Never mind.

When I drove the van, I was passed over several times in order to move a c truck, something that I get p*ssed about but hey what can I do.

Now with the c truck, I would say a third to a half of my loads could have gone on a van but for what ever reason, it was offered to me. The shipper could have request a truck, there was no ramp (been there a few times) or what ever reason I got the offer.

But with that said I am comfortable with the fact that FedEx takes that load seriously enough to make sure it gets there on time. I have done two rescues with vans where I delivered to a place without ramps; I have picked up and delivered parcels (3 pound and less) and even an envelope with my c truck (of course I got paid over the $1.5/mile for it).

Does it matter what I haul?

Nope not at all, as long as I get paid what I feel is fair and they keep me moving.

Does it matter how FedEx offers the service?

Nope, not really because I know that this is all based on the customer’s needs, not my needs so if they offer me a run when a van can be used, well they have their reasons and I don’t question it.

Also one other thing, I want to know why everyone seems to think all the companies operate all the same. I mean FedEx is different from Panther and they are different from land Star and everyone has different offerings to the customer when they call. I can tell you that Panther and other companies would be hard pressed to get a skid on their plane to get it across the country within the day like FedEx.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Greg334: Well said I am relatively sure I will not question the dispatcher if given a load offer that we can make money with. I don't care if it's A,B,C or D load as long as we can legally haul it and our minimum profit margin is met. It is not our position to second guess our dispatchers. in 2005 we operated our D unit in 2006 we operated our B unit and are now waiting for our C unit to be built. My point is we have been loaded ahead of other trucks and behind other trucks. I am sure the dispatch system is not perfect but I think for the most part it is fair. I do know that it will allow the Owner operator to meet the revenue that is projected by the recruiters.
God bless our military and Vets.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Let me put you at ease

I turned down a van load.

kev said no.

I got a call from the Big Man

I told him NO.

I got told Id get punished.

I said IF I do Then Ill park THE TRACTOR TRAILER in your drive way.

I will do it, Some of us see the ca ching into the till but I see the

Ca Chang outa the TIll. I Love the CA Ching but I hate the CA Chang

Maybe I should not care about the CA Chang Becasue Im only a Driver

but for some reason I do. I guess it's because I take care of Truck

Like its my own, even though it's not. All the CA Changs make that

Much less monie I have to take care of THe Bull. (TRACTOR). But then

again what should I care right.

Enough said.

Now dont you wory about your VAN Loads I dont want em

not worth the monie worries no matter what.

Because by the time they make the price high enough I'd be maken more

than the company getting paid. I been down that road before and I

got 1 load the followiing week. Now go figure. I only want whats

right.

Now find me a round robin and then I might consider taken such a load

but other wise NO been there got the tatoo and dont like it and by

the way lazer surgery dont work on that type of tattoo.

Im here to make monie not loose monie and My hours driving

are like gold. (I am sure my PARTNER WILL CON CUR WITH THIS)

Ill DH to get a good Load but I hate DH back out the same distance on

Not so Good Load. Get my Drift.

Have a Safe One
and God Bless
Kevin

fortwayne

Not a Member
bigjoep89 you make alot of since. I do not turn down loads just because it is not to my emotional liking. If it meets my economic standards then I take it in most cases.
Listen, I get paid a flat rate for all my miles, so that makes it alot easier to make the decision to take aload as a driver. I feel that as long as I am moving I am making some money.
As long as that load doesn't take me 'to far out' from the normal freight lanes I am tossing that load on my truck. The guy I drive for also gets me back hauls so if I take something to say Minnesota I can get back to Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio with not to much trouble.
I am what is known as a rookie driver, but you know, if the wheels are moving you should be making money and if you aren't then you figured something the wrong way, you put yourself in a bad area, or you did something that you shouldn't have done - take some personal satisfaction of a job well done but take some blame yourself when things are not running well too.
You are the one that starts the engine - you are the one that turns the engine off too.

Fort Wayne
'Stand Up For Yourself - Don't Wait For Someone Else'

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"...you are the one that turns the engine off too."

I see that your engine has never just up and quit on you while on the Interstate, or in the middle of a really busy intersection, in Chicago, at 4:30, on a Friday.

Ooooh! Something to look forward to! :p

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Packmule, I dont know where your getting your info,Ive been with FEDEXCC for many years,and let me tell you that they have never charged a customer for an upsize truck,unless the load was miss
represented;ie.D truck ordered,20 pallets,5000 lbs,but do to size,pallets cant be stacked,there for they will need a tractor trailer,and since a tractor was sent in,phone call was made and load bumped to an E,but one problem here,customer wouldnt pay the E rate,and I lost the load.There was no way this load would have fitted on a straight truck,all the product on pallets were miss matched,so you couldnt stack the pallets.Another case,I went afetr a D load,it would only fit in a 24 footer,and since Fed Ex does have some 24 ftr's,I had to haul it at a D rate.
I have hauled many loads over the years from B to E,and let me tell you,the customer has never paid for a larger piece of equipment,as long as the freight would fit that size truck he ordered

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
kevin,I just read a post that you are tryin to get out of california,bet you would take a B load to get out of there,and at a
B rate too

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Did I read that right? Fedex pays a percentage of the TARIFF? I thought you got paid a percentage of the freight bill.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Steven Gilbert

Night Creature

NO I wouldnt so now here is a towel wipe that egg off your face.

I said no and I ment NO.

Now Hello Amarillo Gota Love them Texas Ladies

Have a Safe One
and God Bless
Kevin

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What is on the frieght bill and what the tariff might be are not the same thing.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
right, the freight bill is the tariff less the discounts,but in the tariff it explains the discounts,so did the chicken come before the egg or after