Van down

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I thought about the newer vech's ECM. But what cause's the spark plug to spark...grounding it in the head makes the spark. All I know is that it has worked on two of my trucks. Dodge 1997 and a 1994 Z71. My son said he has helped some friends out by doing this werid trick.

The main reason I posted it was to see if "Anyone" knows why this works. I have been trying to find out and no one knows, very few have heard about it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Duly noted..Lmao
Give the kid a break..Jus sayin

'Tude: a lot of us love the kid [OMG: I have a tattoo that's older than he is!:eek:] and we want him to make it. His stories are freakin hilarious, and his attitude is just so good natured that we can't resist pokin him, ok?
My concern with the OP was the image of him driving while that tired, and having been a van O/O, I don't think it's that farfetched, either - it happens.
I've run out of fuel [only in a truck, with lots of excuses like Moot's] too - but never in a gas station. THAT had me worried about whether Zane is driving past the point of exhaustion, is all.
Long as that's not a factor, rock on, lol.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, don't say ROCK-ON to a guy with stones. It aint funny. Couldn't PASS on this, Steady.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
'Tude: a lot of us love the kid [OMG: I have a tattoo that's older than he is!:eek:] and we want him to make it. His stories are freakin hilarious, and his attitude is just so good natured that we can't resist pokin him, ok?
My concern with the OP was the image of him driving while that tired, and having been a van O/O, I don't think it's that farfetched, either - it happens.
I've run out of fuel [only in a truck, with lots of excuses like Moot's] too - but never in a gas station. THAT had me worried about whether Zane is driving past the point of exhaustion, is all.
Long as that's not a factor, rock on, lol.
lol rock on. its how i live my life haha And thats funny about your have tats older than me lol. Hey all that matters now is the girls love the ink and . It goes in with my attitude torwards life but i kno when im 45 i will look like i shrively old wallnut soaked in a rainbow to long

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
The main reason I posted it was to see if "Anyone" knows why this works. I have been trying to find out and no one knows, very few have heard about it.

The reason it works is it allows the coil to deliver a "hotter"spark to the cylinders still hooked up properly. That then allows a higher combustion temperature clearing any fouling on the plugs. Shutting it down and reconnecting the removed wire the vehicle will run better with the majority of the plugs "cleaned".

What this indicates to me is if this "fixed" the issue there are maintenance issues that need to be done. Like a tune up or the coil may be going bad.

Rocket, there is a certain amount of grounding to make the plugs fire, but it is controlled and released at the gap of the plug. If someone sticks a screwdriver in the wire and lays it on the frame in the wrong spot, it then allows all that voltage to go straight to ground without the spark to dissipate the voltage.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
first thing can you hear the pump run or not? you have to be close to the tank to here it, have someone cycle the key while you listen, if it doe'snt run hit the tank with a hammer, or rubber malet while someone else cranks the engine over. you should get it to start that way. if not pm me and i can tell you what to check next. have fun

Tracy
35 yr ase master tech.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
hey Dennis only a hack shop would cut a hole in the floor that tank in a van is a easy r&r when on a proper lift
Tracy
but if the pump goes in my/ our gmc i might cut that hole only because of not having a lift :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well this isn't from me but a lurker who sent me an email but this person said all of this stuff seems to be an attempt in futility. Trying to troubleshoot the problem with zero input from the OP is like an Eskimo trying to describe to a Martian what living in a desert is like.

By the way, if the sparkplug thing is use, it actually means the coil may be weak and needs to be changed.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
hey Dennis only a hack shop would cut a hole in the floor that tank in a van is a easy r&r when on a proper lift
Tracy
but if the pump goes in my/ our gmc i might cut that hole only because of not having a lift :D

Never tried to drop the tank on a 10 year old rust belt truck have you?

Round here we pull truck beds to get to the pump on the c/k pickups. You have a chance of saving the hanger and lines that way.
I would never cut a hole in a customers van floor with out written permission. However many have opted for it in my 20+ years as a certified mechanic (ford and ase master) I would have done it to my van if someone had not already done it. Makes a 100+ dollar tow and 300 dollar labor bill go away.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Road King wrote:

Tracy
but if the pump goes in my/ our gmc i might cut that hole only because of not having a lift

LOL, comon now Tracy...the flat rate hours to pull the tank would be charged to a customer..cutting a hole in the floor (if you know exactly where to cut it) the pump and pickup would be changed in less then half the time....but the shop would still charge for the tank removal, and pay the mechanic for that amount of time...Got to beat the "flat rate" book...:D

I know what you are saying...but after 35 yrs in the business, you also know what i am saying happens everyday..even if the shop owner has no idea...LOL, the stories i could tell, as i am sure you could!!!:eek::D:p

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's safe to say it's no longer an issue for us anyway. He's had it towed to the shop and it's being repaired.

For what it's worth, I've had enough fuel pumps go out on me-- for some reason Fords love to eat these things. I had one replaced just a few weeks ago on this Chevy I have now. First thing I do when I turn the key is listen for the pump, it should run for a couple of seconds to charge the fuel system. If I don't hear it, I might have trouble. Typically a pump will not usually fail while running, it'll wait until you shut down for some reason, then when you try to start again the pump will fail to run. That's what happened-- sort of-- to MX, and it's happened enough to me that I kind of know. If the engine has been running without fault up to that point, it's a fair guess that the fuel pump is at fault when it won't re-start.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Never tried to drop the tank on a 10 year old rust belt truck have you?

Round here we pull truck beds to get to the pump on the c/k pickups. You have a chance of saving the hanger and lines that way.
I would never cut a hole in a customers van floor with out written permission. However many have opted for it in my 20+ years as a certified mechanic (ford and ase master) I would have done it to my van if someone had not already done it. Makes a 100+ dollar tow and 300 dollar labor bill go away.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

pull the bed on a pickup ya done that, rusted lines ect ya lots of those to thats when the price goes up and i like profit replace all that rusted crap or junk that truck

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle: You took a big chance letting your fuel level dip that low in your Sprinter. Anybody who has ever run a diesel out of fuel once (I did it to a forklift truck-- don't ask) learns to never do that again. I started looking for fuel along about the time my gauge showed a quarter-- sometimes earlier if I was in unfamiliar country and suspected I could be in a "fuel desert". Maybe you'll get lucky if you run out, but-- you may need to call a mechanic to get re-started. Bleeding fuel lines on the road isn't exactly my idea of fun.
Actually in an 04 and later Sprinter it's not a big deal. The 03s and earlier don't have a fuel pump in the tank and are really picky about air in the lines. You have to bleed the lines completely and make sure the filter is well primed. For 04s and later, the filter is self-priming. I rarely even dump any fuel from the old filter into the new one when I change the fuel filter anymore. Just turn the key to the ON position for 40 seconds and it circulates the fuel, bleeds the lines and primes the pump. When changing the filter, turning the key to ON for just 5 seconds is usually more than enough to prime the pump.

Just one more reason why it's important that when you get a Sprinter you need to assume nothing that you think you already know about maintenance and operations, and pretty much start from scratch.

As for taking a big chance letting the Sprinter run that low, twice it's happened where it got lower than I wanted, that one time in Iowa when there were no gas stations where I thought there were, and one time in New Mexico where there were no gas stations at all. In New Mexico I pulled into a town of about 125 people (Corona) and the gas station (and the rest of the town) closed at dark. Fortunately, they had pay-at-the-pump and had left the pumps on.

But I routinely let it run down to the orange triangle (it's not so much taking a chance as it is knowing the vehicle), except in the winter, especially if I'm running the Espar while driving (under 1/8 of a tank and the Espar fuel line runs empty). One important factor is keeping fuel treatment in the tank, to keep moisture low and keep gunk from accumulating. The Sprinter's fuel recirculation system is sufficient to keep the fuel well agitated, but you need a treatment in there to keep it from collecting while the engine isn't running.

I will say that I have changed things somewhat since changing carriers, however. At Panther and getting fuel via Comdata at the TA, I routinely ran it down to where I'd put in 25 gallons or so, in order to get the required 50 gallons for the shower. A couple of fillups and there's yer shower. At Load 1 using the FleetOne card at PFJ, I tend to fullup at or just below the 1/2 tank mark, because all it takes is one 15-gallon fillup to get one full shower. So anymore I rarely let it get even down as far as 1/4 tank. Moot is pleased. :D

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I let my Duramax run low quite often in order to make it to the duty free diesel pumps (usually .50 gal cheaper). It also has an electric fuel pump.
I did however send a picture of the fuel gauge at full to Moot to keep him off my case. True story.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Need some help. Stopped at gas station to get gas and took a nap sitting there and when i woke the van had ran out so i pushed it to the pump got gas. It wouldnt start i added a fuel additives as well and it turns over but wont fire. I called chevy and they dont want to help.They just wanted me to get the van towed. And look at it. JUST money hungry anyone have any tips of stuff to try.?
Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Try pulling and checking the spark plugs to make sure they are not coked up with carbon. Some times the injectors will coke up with carbon if you run out of fuel when hot especialy mopar magnum series engines. Not a tough job to pull the fuel rail and injectors if you have a set of tools, Hays or Chiltons book, and can pull a wrench.

Greg just proved there are some class a low class douches out here. Greg must be a complete B#$ch wanabee van driver to have such an attitude. Judging by how much time he had to disect the drivers situation he must be stuck parked waiting for work going broke of corse, bad carma follows bad carma.
Heres a tip, instead of taking shots at another driver try giving some usefull critisisim and tips even better if your near by try giving him a hand so he can get back on the road. By the way, Im not a fan of big brother however, I cannot wait untill F.M.C.S.A. requires van drivers to carry log books.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
This is how I got my car back once..

396526_2964587200298_1430164164_33170929_1972032463_n.jpg

It's the only time the "no fuel" light has come on. It's suppose to indicate 50 miles to empty when it comes on. It ran out in 50 feet.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Anyone here have any experience with the GM Cargo Van trick fuel guage. You can be on a little under a quarter of a tank, pull off the road, turn the truck off and then back on again, and the low fuel light will come on! I've had that happen to me a few times.

Last edited by a moderator: