Van down

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
greg334 The additives can help clear the pump out,? just to try something else.
Turtle I never ran out of diesel either.
mjmsprt40. yes thats true and thanks for the kindness:) road pirates unite haha
Rocketman you lucked out that it ran . wanna share some of the luck??lol
paullud yea i tried and it is getting spark.
moot . iknow i know. ill get it through my thick skull sometime hopefully its this time.:)
fastman how do you check if its the coil?

I dont mean to butt in on your fun here Bro..
But are you not coming up on day 3 and still sitting with a broken van and no answers?
I know we dont know your finical situation but ya need to seek professional help at this point. Charge the Battery.. Rap the fuel tank lightly a few times and if it don't start,,or ya cant fix it,,Start looking for help whether its @ the Sears & Roebuck garage or wherever..Priority is to get the truck back rolling..Down time like this cost more then some ppl relize.. Unless of course ya dont want to work and want the time off.. G/luck with it.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You know....there is one trick that might work and I havent seen it mentioned yet. It involves running circles around the van...........

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know....there is one trick that might work and I havent seen it mentioned yet. It involves running circles around the van...........

There is one more...... It sounds very strange, but for some reason it worked more times than none. If anyone knows why it works please let me know. Here it is..

My son and one of his buddies were trying to get his GM truck started one day. A farmer came up and said he could get it running. He raised the hood reached into one of his "toolbox" pockets, pulled out a screw driver, stood up and said, "ok, now start it". It started right up, he then told them to shut it off. They did, he removed the screwdriver, shut the hood, and told them they could be on their way. They started the truck and it ran just fine. My son said they could not leave until the farmer told them what he did. It seems the farmer remove one spark plug wire, inserted the screwdriver into the end of the wire, placed it on the fram. When the engine started, and was then turned off, he removed the screwdriver, replaced the wire and the truck, as far as I know is still running fine. I tried it on my youngest son's Dodge truck and it did work. Farmer "John" said it did not matter which plug wire to use.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
The dude has run out of gas twice in the last 5 weeks! Not an acceptable practice for an expediter or an MX'er. Ask Turtle what I think about running out of fuel. I'm still on his shell about him almost running out of fuel. Only glueheads run on fumes.

Now I will jump on Mike's back; it's panty waist and kids should have an apostrophe between the d and the s . Remember: "The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe." FZ
Duly noted..Lmao
Give the kid a break..Jus sayin

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter

lol hey i ran circles then the thing road rite out of my dads shop ...................on a flatbed lol

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
There is one more...... It sounds very strange, but for some reason it worked more times than none. If anyone knows why it works please let me know. Here it is..

My son and one of his buddies were trying to get his GM truck started one day. A farmer came up and said he could get it running. He raised the hood reached into one of his "toolbox" pockets, pulled out a screw driver, stood up and said, "ok, now start it". It started right up, he then told them to shut it off. They did, he removed the screwdriver, shut the hood, and told them they could be on their way. They started the truck and it ran just fine. My son said they could not leave until the farmer told them what he did. It seems the farmer remove one spark plug wire, inserted the screwdriver into the end of the wire, placed it on the fram. When the engine started, and was then turned off, he removed the screwdriver, replaced the wire and the truck, as far as I know is still running fine. I tried it on my youngest son's Dodge truck and it did work. Farmer "John" said it did not matter which plug wire to use.

Wow thats crazy. I think now tho I am prepared for any other type of van down predicament.lol

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I dont mean to butt in on your fun here Bro..
But are you not coming up on day 3 and still sitting with a broken van and no answers?
I know we dont know your finical situation but ya need to seek professional help at this point. Charge the Battery.. Rap the fuel tank lightly a few times and if it don't start,,or ya cant fix it,,Start looking for help whether its @ the Sears & Roebuck garage or wherever..Priority is to get the truck back rolling..Down time like this cost more then some ppl relize.. Unless of course ya dont want to work and want the time off.. G/luck with it.

Yes i know if i was in service i would have gotten on top of it from the get go with pro help. But I was out of service helping my gparents. But monday morning will be purring.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Would you want to avoid holding the screwdriver by the handle while doing that, or would that be the place to hold it?

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Would you want to avoid holding the screwdriver by the handle while doing that, or would that be the place to hold it?

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

You need to hold it in your mouth.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
For the record I have never run out of gas or diesel. I've put more than 26.5 gallons into a 26.5 gallon tank on more than one occasion, however. :D

Makes ya wonder who lied don't it?

Is the tank really 26.5G or is it a bit bigger?

Is the pump really giving you 26.5G or does it fudge in the stations favor?

(actually.. It's most likely the .3 to .6 the filler neck holds)

I have run my van out of gas once. It was on the drive home from where I bought it. Gauge showed 1/8th tank. I bought it as a wreck and didn't want to invest much in it until I assessed how much work it would be to fix.

It ran out right in front of a gas station.. No pushing it though. (to heavy and up a small hill)

The gas station charged me 19.99 for the gas can, and 3.79 for the gallon of gas said can would hold.

Clerk said See you in a few minutes when you fill up.

"no sir you won't. 20 bucks for a 5 dollar gas can at walmart? (as I pointed to the walmart yellow tag on the can) You made your profit"

That 20 dollar can is empty and rides under my passengers seat. Just in case.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

I suspect he held the choke open and the truck was flooded. Once started and the flood cleared the choke was already open by the heater.

Ahhh those where the good old days.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suspect he held the choke open and the truck was flooded. Once started and the flood cleared the choke was already open by the heater.

Ahhh those where the good old days.

Nope, he was standing up no hands under the hood. He just pulled a plug inserted the screw driver, it started, they shut it off, he removed screw driver and replaced the plug wire. My son's truck would die when he came to a stop, TBI, we did what Farmer John did and never had a problem since. His hands never went up towards the carb.

This is no joke, it really works. Don't know why, but it do.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a little note here. At this point we're not sure it's the fuel pump, though from what we've been told so far that seems to be the way to bet. That being the case, this note is for everybody driving anything made after they went to in-tank electric pumps (since the late '80s, anyway). Never let your tank get much below the 1/4 mark. It makes the pump work too hard and causes heat problems, or so I'm told. Running out of gas could conceivably make the pump burn out and certainly doesn't do it any good.

In winter, it's just bad practice to let your tank get too empty anyway up here in the Northern states. Water condenses on the sides of your nearly empty tank, flows to the bottom of the tank and then to your fuel pick-up. A cold snap happens and then you get ice blockage in your gas line. Keeping the fuel level up helps to prevent that from happening.

Turtle: You took a big chance letting your fuel level dip that low in your Sprinter. Anybody who has ever run a diesel out of fuel once (I did it to a forklift truck-- don't ask) learns to never do that again. I started looking for fuel along about the time my gauge showed a quarter-- sometimes earlier if I was in unfamiliar country and suspected I could be in a "fuel desert". Maybe you'll get lucky if you run out, but-- you may need to call a mechanic to get re-started. Bleeding fuel lines on the road isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Duly noted..Lmao
Give the kid a break..Jus sayin

I'll cut him a little slack, but no break for you! I guess I see a bit of me in Zane. I ran out of fuel twice in big trucks, but of course I had a bunch of excuses; different trucks, different engines, different tanks and no working fuel gauges. Never had two young ladies come to my rescue though. The point is, I should have never let my fuel level get that low.

When I was young I would jump off docks and trailers. One old fart driver told me I would regret that some day. He said knees weren't made to take that kind of abuse. Yeah, right. I thought the old guy was probably senile. My knees felt fine! Thirty some years later I find I was the one with mental issues and knee problems.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Nope, he was standing up no hands under the hood. He just pulled a plug inserted the screw driver, it started, they shut it off, he removed screw driver and replaced the plug wire. My son's truck would die when he came to a stop, TBI, we did what Farmer John did and never had a problem since. His hands never went up towards the carb.

This is no joke, it really works. Don't know why, but it do.

I've done similiar to this. I think we were always after a specific plug wire though. What happens is that when you hold the screw driver a short distance from the plug tip, the fire arcs across to the plug causing a hotter spark. We used to do it on an old farm tractor or something..it's been too long and I don't remember. My stepdad also bought and sold farm machinery so there's no telling...Ive seen a lot of tractors..lol.

I do remember that the idea was to clean the specific plug that had been fouled either by flooding or if that particular cylinder was burning a little too much oil and fouling the plug. I'm not sure how just picking a random plug would do it.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter

WARNING: Doing this on newer electronic engines could cause MAJOR issues. By intentionally grounding the spark could blow your ECM and kill some sensors by back feeding voltage through the ground circuit.

Old school (shade tree) diagnostic techniques can cause far more harm on newer vehicles. The harm will not only be to vehicle components but also your wallet. Brining your vehicle to a shop may seem expensive but trying to diagnose beyond ones ability can prove to be FAR more expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
WARNING: Doing this on newer electronic engines could cause MAJOR issues. By intentionally grounding the spark could blow your ECM and kill some sensors by back feeding voltage through the ground circuit.

Old school (shade tree) diagnostic techniques can cause far more harm on newer vehicles. The harm will not only be to vehicle components but also your wallet. Brining your vehicle to a shop may seem expensive but trying to diagnose beyond ones ability can prove to be FAR more expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

This is true. I'm not sure if this is actually grounding or not, but I can see the potential for it causing a problem either way.

We actually didn't use a screw driver sometimes. We would just pull the plug wire back so that it had an 1/8" - 1/4" gap between the wire and the plug tip...the fire would jump right across. I guess there has to be some grounding taking place for that to happen though? Either way, I can see it wiping out an ecm.