Unloading and loading a van

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Drivers when you unloading and loading your van are you using the emergency brake only? or do you block the wheels? or both?

If you block the wheel, what do you use?

once

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on whether I'm on a ramp, and on how heavy the load is. If I'm on a ramp, I'll usually chock the wheels with wheel chocks, transmission in neutral and the parking brake on. If I'm on flat ground it's in neutral and parking brake on, but probably no wheel chocks. If it's a heavy load, even on flat ground, neutral and parking brake, plus wheel chocks. That's for loading and unloading.

Unless it's a really light load, one skid, I rarely leave the transmission in Park, since whatever pushing or pulling forces the freight puts on the van, including a forklift bumping into the rear of the van, will be transferred directly to the transmission. I've had forklift drivers really thwap the back of the van too many times to leave the transmission in Park. And even a gentle nudge from a heavily loaded forklift can put an amazing amount of force on a transmission.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Or, according to Moot, you can use a UAW guy for a chock, long as you don't spill his beer. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never park on the ramp...always on top of the ramp or at the bottom of ramp...in neutral with parking brake on..never used a chock.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
.....including a forklift bumping into the rear of the van.........

I've had forklift drivers really thwap the back of the van too many times to leave the transmission in Park. And even a gentle nudge from a heavily loaded forklift can put an amazing amount of force on a transmission.

Speaking of forklifts "thwappin" the back of your van, ever seen these bumpers here?

Really Cool bumper, IMO. Wonder who the genius was that came up with this idea. Know what I mean.;)

Attachments

• amtwH_640480.jpg
    amtwH_640480.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 79

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Speaking of forklifts "thwappin" the back of your van, ever seen these bumpers here?
Yep. I've seen two or three vans with those. Doesn't stop a forklift from thwapping the back of the van, tho.

They make one for the Sprinter that's 60"x7" that sticks out to protect the stock step bumper, but forklift drivers thwap it, too.

And they make a really nice step bumper replacement, heavy duty rubber with an aluminum thread-plate step. Forklifts will still thwap it, tho.
towing-bumper.jpg

Really Cool bumper, IMO. Wonder who the genius was that came up with this idea. Know what I mean.;)
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I think his name is Larry.

The Sprinter step bumper is cheap and easy to replace. It's not a matter of protecting the bumper, like it is with most vans which aren't necessarily easy to replace, it's a matter not having the transmission in Park while the bumper it being thwapped. The way the Sprinter step bumper is designed, if a forklift thwaps it, a couple of good bangs with a small sledge hammer puts it back good as new. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you own your chock or use what is at the drop/pick-up?
I own my own chocks. I could use the ones at the drop/pickup, but those are usually near the docks and I'm not. You can get small chocks, like for RV's and stuff, at Camping World, Amazon's got tons of 'em.

I've got a pair of these. Light weight and small. 2 pounds each, molded rubber, 6.5 inches long, 4 inches wide, 3 inches high. Amazon.com: Industrial Grade 1GUK4 Wheel Chock
The perfect size for a van.

1GUK4_AS01.jpg

Those who say they never sit on a ramp are lyin', or they are extraordinarily lucky in where they pickup and deliver. There are too many places where you must back up the ramp, but cannot go into the building, and they will not bring a forklift out into the lot. Your only option is to be on the ramp. Most air cargo places are like that, DHL at O'Hare is like that, three different air freight transfer terminals at Logan are like that, two that I know of at Sea-Tac are like that, John Deer in Waterloo is like that depending on the mood of who is unloading you, a wire and cable place in Philly is like that, so is one in Houston, and there are many, many others. Most places you can get to the top of the ramp and get level, or they'll bring it down the ramp. But not all of them, and certainly not nearly enough to say you will "never" sit on a ramp.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle...honestly I can't remember when I sat on a ramp TOTALLY faced down...except for the AC plant in Utica Mi...where they have that stupid lift!.....I've been half in and half out...but the loading has been where the tow motor was not on the ramp...where the lift was on level ground, not me. Hope that clarifies.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I was just in Brooklyn, and saw alot of vans with those bumpers, also most cars and SUV's have metal pushbars front and rear. or a rubber mat that is tucked into the trunk. People in New York think parallel parking is a full on contact sport and think nothing of taping the car in front and back pretty hard, and if they are parked in they will push the car out of the way :eek:

guido4475

Not a Member
I was just in Brooklyn, and saw alot of vans with those bumpers, also most cars and SUV's have metal pushbars front and rear. or a rubber mat that is tucked into the trunk. People in New York think parallel parking is a full on contact sport and think nothing of taping the car in front and back pretty hard, and if they are parked in they will push the car out of the way :eek:

My Ex was from Brooklyn, and every year we would go back there for the holidays to visit the real Italians there.It was funny how so many people would take a used tire, cut it, and wrap it around their front and rear bumpers.Kinda looked like them Dodgems at Coney island.I sure do miss the Real Italian food there!!

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Alas, too many thwappings for me. Today, I wait at home while my van receives a new torque converter, output bearing and bushings. Having owned and operated many Ford E350's, this is the first transmission problem I have encountered. Rather expensive.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
gracie sits in the driver seat with her foot on the brake. van in neutered, er , neutral. bought chocks at wal-mart. kept forgetting them and driving over them. well twice at least. then tossed them out. my parking brake won't stop the van from being pushed in neutral.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is my sad duty to report: trannies happen.

Don't be sad, celebrate! Many large cities across this land will be celebrating trannies, gay, lesbian and torque converter pride this summer with parades. Join the fun!

San Francisco Pride Celebration & Parade, June 26-27, 2010

Rice-A-Roni Days, August 2-8, 2010

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Don't be sad, celebrate! Many large cities across this land will be celebrating trannies, gay, lesbian and torque converter pride this summer with parades. Join the fun!

San Francisco Pride Celebration & Parade, June 26-27, 2010

Rice-A-Roni Days, August 2-8, 2010
I made the mistake years ago of vacationing in Florida during, what was unbeknownst to me, Gay Bikers Week. Oh, the trauma. Does this explain why a compass points north?

transporter

Expert Expediter
i use my own large cholks use them everytime. emergency brake on and in neutral. to many forklift drivers who think they are bumperpool gold medalist

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For the most part, Trans in neutal, "parking" brake set....no wheel chocks...id run over them and forget them anyhow.

When i had the trans go bad in Fla last month, I asked what the "parking pawl and pin looked like and the guy said they were fine, not an issue...i asked because i will be the 1st to admit that yet there are days when i leave it in park.....:eek:

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
I got the back door on a switch and a slippery cargo floor. All I gotta do is back up kinda fast, hit the switch and tap the brakes. Dont even need a forklift driver. lol.
No seriously I didnt even put it in neutral or set the e-brake. Now I am takin the advice, no need puttin extra stress on the transmissions.