Unknown laws are everywhere!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A recent post mentioned using hazard lights to warn of slowing traffic ahead. That's something I've never felt right doing, for reasons cited in the article linked, so I've always 'flashed' the brake lights instead by tapping them.
I had no idea one could be ticketed for using flashers in a nonemergency - at least in Fl.
It's good to know what could get you in trouble, when ignorance of the law is no excuse - but if the law isn't publicized, how are you supposed to know about it?
:confused:

State law prohibits use of hazard lights, but many are oblivious - OrlandoSentinel.com

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri great post and glad you shared. This paragraph in the article explains why I use my hazards when I see traffic coming to a stop or slowing down fast in front of me. I use my hazards on side roads when I am stopping near a flag man.

"When you see somebody with their hazards on, it indicates you're stopped, need assistance or something's wrong."

Something's wrong is the key word for me and traffic coming to a stop on an interstate indicates something is wrong. Slowing down and tapping on the brakes is also a good indicator and I will sure consider this the next time I see traffic stopped.

I would much rather put my flashers on then have someone rear end me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"When you see somebody with their hazards on, it indicates you're stopped, need assistance or something's wrong."

Something's wrong is the key word for me....

Something's just plain wrong is the key for me. To wit:

How can seeing someone else with their hazards on mean in any way that YOU are stopped, or need assistance?

To protect and serve, your tax dollars hard at work, is what it means. <snort>

My other issue is this:

How frequently that happens is not readily available. The state's uniform traffic citation statistics are not broken down to that level.

Well, why not? How else are you going to know which laws are effective, the frequency with which they are broken, and possibly needing some special target enforcement if they are frequently broken or are creating safety issues? The laws that aren't broken very often probably don't even need to be on the books.

"We see it all the time and it's a pet peeve," said Boca Raton police spokesman Marc Economou.

Ah, OK, that's why it's on the books. It's a pet peeve.

Well then enforce the stupid law, then. Get soaked, do your job, earn your money.

The law comes down to safety, Wysocky and Economou said. The turn signal and brake lights on some cars don't work when hazard lights are activated, Wysocky said. And people who see hazard lights may think the car is already stopped.

Yeah, they MAY think that, but nobody does, not for a car that has its hazards on in the rain while they've not stopped. And if they DO think the car is stopped, they certainly aren't very likely to plow into it. What a goober.

If I ever get pulled over in Florida for having my hazard lights on, I'll just say that I have them on because I was afraid of serious bodily injury or death and they are on in self defense.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, they MAY think that, but nobody does, not for a car that has its hazards on in the rain while they've not stopped. And if they DO think the car is stopped, they certainly aren't very likely to plow into it. What a goober.
I think that, so count me as a resident of Gooberville in the 2020 Census. When I see hazard lights lit, I think disabled vehicle, not disabled driver. When I see "specials" lit, I think, hey I've got a chance at a free game or two.

I believe the minimum federal speed on interstate highways is 45 mph. I don't wish to sound like IRT and all his bravado crap about driving on snow and ice, but...but, if you don't feel safe driving the minimum posted speed limit on interstates or going with the flow, please exit the freeway and wait for conditions to improve to your driving abilities. Don't be a rolling hazard with your hazards lit.

I'm with Cheri on the use of tapping the brakes, especially rapid tapping, to warn following motorists of a traffic slowdown or complete stop. If there are no vehicles directly behind me in a quick stop situation, I will activate may 4-ways, because I am stopped and not all that keen about getting rear-ended.

Some states have laws requiring vehicles traveling under 45 mph on 4 lane highways to activate the 4-ways, usually posted prior to ascending a steep grade. Florida probably gets a pass on this one!

I drove for a large LTL carrier that issued a little laminated, walled size card that listed the optimum speed for each road condition listed on the card. I don't recall the exact conditions, but was down to 30 mph. My personal belief was and still is, that if conditions were so poor that I couldn't do at least 30 mph, then I had no business on the road and pulled off to wait for conditions to improve.

If you are traveling below the posted minimum, or slower than the flow, avoid using the hazard lights while moving. Pull over on the shoulder to use the hazards or get off the road completely.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm totally down with the idea that if you can't drive faster than 35, it's time to get off the road till it gets better.
There is one time I do use the hazards, though [besides going uphill real s l o o w]: when there's fog so dense you can't see a vehicle until you're very close. I'm still going to get off [if it doesn't blow away], but may have to keep going a few miles to an exit, and would like to give people a heads up before they become a bumper sticker.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Linder: Traffic coming to a stop on the interstate could mean something's wrong, or it could be just a normal day in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, LA, NYC.....;)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Either way Cheri the normal flow of traffic has changed and to me that means something is wrong and anyone following me needs to be aware of this. When I follow a truck which I do not like to do I cannot see down the interstate or see traffic lights as they change. This is proven when cars follow me through a yellow light where they should have stopped. When I have cars following me and I see the traffic coming to a stop I first tap the brakes to get off of cruise or to start slowing down and they turn the flashers on until I see them slowing down and following me lead. The flashers are then turned off and I hope that drivers behind me are now warning the traffic following them that the normal flow of traffic has been slowed or coming to a stop.

Interesting thought on road conditions. I think about how often we have been in a line of traffic going below the minimum speed limit till we can get through the adverse road conditions.

This last year in New Mexico the interstate was shut down and a huge group of vehicles were led by the police at about 15 miles an hour for over 30 miles till we all were safely past the numerous accidents.

There are situations where driving below the minimum posted speed limit is considered going with the flow of traffic.

Each situation requires thinking by us and then making the decision to get off of the interstate or to continue on. We have done both but much prefer to continue on.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
SO, when the posted is 45mph and I have to slow down to 5 mph for those train tracks or 20 mph what was once a roadway to avoid gutting the underside truck like a bass and chance major dammage to the truck, destroying my freight, posably a wreck, or at the verry least being launched into the exosphere perhaps orbit Im breaking the law?
Bob Wolf's pearl of wisdom is this.... Please, Barney, I understand you failed the entrence exam to Walmart but if you can do one thing right, just be sure to spell my name right W.O.L.F. no E no second F four letters like a cuss word.

Bob Wolf.

moose

Veteran Expediter
well say thanks your NOT pulling a 53 footer. see attachment.
who know about :
the B.C lift axle law,
those 3 states that limit's wide base tire loads,
you MIGHT herd about the N.J emission law,
the N.J/C.T snow removal crap.
the Washingtong state limits on spread axle to only 34 kilo pounders,
good luck figuring if you still needs to take the Alabama steel coil test just to drive an aluminum coil via the state line.
how many, and which providence actually required a speed limiter.
not to mention CARB.
or the Arizona Fire Ants inspections.
to name a few...

Attachments

• I-Phone downloads-July 101.jpg
    I-Phone downloads-July 101.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 28

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are situations where driving below the minimum posted speed limit is considered going with the flow of traffic.

Exactly! That was my point. Go with the flow. If traffic is doing 35mph, go with the flow. Don't put your 4-ways on and travel at 25mph and booger everything up.

Each situation requires thinking by us and then making the decision to get off of the interstate or to continue on. We have done both but much prefer to continue on.
facebook_like_button_big1.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's on Minnesota moose that is impervious to road chemicals, parasites, lead projectiles and mosquitoes.

Attachments

• moose_big.jpg
    moose_big.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 37

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with the Florida law 100%.
Hazards should only be used in the event of breakdown or a truck going slow up a hill.
Putting hazards on in the rain is not proper use and Putting hazards on to warn others behind you of traffic problems up ahead IMO only invites them to go around you, and then when they have accelerated around you and your flashing hazards, they realize the traffic has stopped in front of them and now it's ohhh :censoredsign:! Tapping brake lights is always a better option IMO.

Hehe, ill go out on a limb and "hazard" a guess and say that this law was probably brought in due to a problem created by all the seniors in that state (especially in winter) that probably do just that when it rains. I know I've seen enough of them do it everywhere else!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is debatable when is a good time to use flashers as the diversity in State laws proves. I think we can all agree though that flashing your hazard lights doesn't exempt you from the minimum speed limit.
Hazard Light Use | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Minimum speed laws are written for ideal road conditions. Doing the minimum speed on a foggy highway could be dangerous. Driving safely is an art. Just because a law "requires" a minimum speed does not mean it should be done at all times.

Hazard lights? I don't know. Seems that more lights drawing attention is better than fewer, hard to say. I doubt there is a perfect answer.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
While driving in Florida or any other state, when it is raining Headlights should be on. Now most of the folks I've seen drive with no lights, just 4 ways. If the weather is that bad I'll run 4 ways if drivers are pokeing along @ 5-10 mph. Or as happened to me........ stopped in the slow lane.