Trucker strike

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A convoy and rolling blockade are one and the same.

I think not. A convoy may be several trucks traveling together, but not necessarily interfering with other traffic. A rolling blockade exists for no other purpose than to interfere with other traffic.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Moose, it's not a convoy, it's billed as a rolling blockade, to protest issues both in & outside of trucking. Even if they limited their grievances to trucking related, I wouldn't endorse it, but tacking on the "Ride for the Constitution" label just makes them look completely crazy.
I bet DOT is already planning to add psyche evals to the next round of regulations, sigh. :(

Yeah but waving the flag while showing the world that ya watch way too much opinion tv is what passes for patriotism today. :)

Psyche evals - too funny! :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Strikes and demonstrations are always inconvenient to someone....how else get attention to the issue/s? Writing emails has really been effective? DOH not! Sometimes action just needs to be taken! I think you underestimate the general publics reactions.... While any Action would be a pain ... At least it would show that truckers have a back bone..... Because up to now you all are looking real wimpy...IMO

moose

Veteran Expediter
What's not to like?:
1) Rollback of the hours rules to pre-July 1, 2013, status, and continued focus on the issue of excessive uncompensated detention time at shippers and receivers. 2) Abolishment of the crash-related side of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Compliance, Safety, Accountability’s system for ranking carriers, particularly given the system’s inclusion of crashes not identified as being the fault of the motor carrier/driver. Also included in this item are demands for rollback of Congressional/administration pursuit of an electronic log mandate, concerns with fuel prices given copious increases in domestic oil production, and concern over roadside officers’ unfair targeting of some carriers with erroneous violations.
3) Recognition and action on a wide concern with the California Air Resources Board’s diesel emissions regulations and idling limitations as onerous to the health and safety of drivers, as well as trucking business viability.
4) An end to Congressional efforts to increase mandatory liability insurance requirements of motor carriers as well as a recognition of insurers’ increasing ability to “control more and more of this industry,” in the words of the document.
5) Moving forward with the truck parking safety and availability provisions of Jason’s Law, included in 2012 MAP-21 legislation.
it's a good start.
way to go for all that will participate,more power to you.
& all the rest of you winners, you just lost your creditability of complaining on future trucking issues that effect your life.
it looks like the organizers realized {try to say it 3 time fast}that FSC & rates needs to be off the list & they removed it.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Moore Googling here:
http://rt.com/op-edge/us-economy-government-shutdown-truck-992/
"By all accounts, they are the most under-appreciated industry in today’s America."
“Somebody had to do it,”
"
Larry Klayman, a former US Justice Department prosecutor, and founder of Freedom Watch:...I’m throwing my support behind this campaign because we’ve have had enough. Our government has broken away from the people, and our grievances are not being heard, so we need to get out there and make it clear to the powers that be that be - whether it’s President Obama, Speaker of the House John Boehner, or whether it’s majority leader Harry Reid in the Senate - that we are simply not going to take it anymore. The time has come to save our country, and we’ll do it in the style of Ghandi, Lech Walesa, and Martin Luther King"
"
with a call for immediate action on the spiralling cost of diesel and harassment from federal regulatory agencies which is not only driving up costs of goods and services, but also killing transportation profits, pushing independent truckers into fuel poverty, and ultimately out of business. "
"Unless you’ve been hiding in a bunker lately, you would know that something is serious brewing in America"
"the campaign feels that all unconstitutional federal laws and agencies should be wiped from the books"...
"and The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). "
“If you look at the list of demands, regardless of where you are in the political spectrum, you would not disagree with: stop supporting al Qaeda (in Syria), don’t raise the debt ceiling – and threaten us - that if we don’t print another trillion dollars that they’ll collapse out system – that’s a forceful means to steal money from us. President Obama needs to be held accountable for crimes committed against the United States and Congress needs to hear those crimes.”
"
Any of these unconstitutional legislators, anyone who has committed unconstitutional acts in office, must vacate voluntarily."
Way to go!!
thanks for doing this!

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Over the weekend, go to a shopping center and ask 10 people

1) do you know the three biggest problems affecting America's Trucker's ?

2) Do you care ?

You'll more often than not be disappointed with the answers you get.

And we can't protest against regulation and ask for regulation( rates,detention, fsc issues) in the same protest.

guido4475

Not a Member
Strikes and demonstrations are always inconvenient to someone....how else get attention to the issue/s? Writing emails has really been effective? DOH not! Sometimes action just needs to be taken! I think you underestimate the general publics reactions.... While any Action would be a pain ... At least it would show that truckers have a back bone..... Because up to now you all are looking real wimpy...IMO

Dammmm straight!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yeah, but it can't be "willy nilly" like the "OWS" crowd. Protests must be concise, narrowly focused to be effective.

EXAMPLE:

Back in the late '50's the Michigan Duck Hunter's Association was getting fed up with all the pollution on the Detroit River. They spent the better part of a week picking up dead ducks, killed by polluted outflows from plants on BOTH sides of the river. When they got a dump truck, maybe two I don't remember now, FULL of dead ducks they took them to Lansing and dumped them on the steps of the Capitol. THAT got some people's attention. That is when the first efforts to clean things up started.

THAT is concise and narrowly focused. Too bad that MOST, if not all, who took part in that are dead now, they were pretty cool.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Early reports are that the traffic in DC has been slowed--- by rain. The trucker's strike is barely noticeable in the first hours. A Fark headline reports that truckers claiming their slowdown had an effect on a rainy Friday morning rush-hour is like a songbird taking credit for the sunrise.

We'll see how this plays out as the weekend progresses, but this begins to look like so many other protests which promise hundreds of thousands of protesters and end up being just a couple hundred protesters.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Early reports are that the traffic in DC has been slowed--- by rain. The trucker's strike is barely noticeable in the first hours. A Fark headline reports that truckers claiming their slowdown had an effect on a rainy Friday morning rush-hour is like a songbird taking credit for the sunrise.

We'll see how this plays out as the weekend progresses, but this begins to look like so many other protests which promise hundreds of thousands of protesters and end up being just a couple hundred protesters.

First it was The Million Man March, then The Million Muslim March, and now we have The Million Trucker March.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Based on the trucker strike impact reported in the news today, people of the Washington D.C. area may root for a trucker strike every day of the week. Traffic seemed to move smoother today than it has almost every time Diane and I drive through that town.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I read one comment [following an article on the poor turnout] that said the union told us not to go, lol.
But seriously: are you aware that the organizer Zeeda whatshername is a conservative who believes Obama is a Muslim, and has included a request for his resignation in the 'trucker's list of complaints'?
Or that one of the other two spokesmen [they each say to disregard the other] the radio host has stated that "Hilary Clinton should be tried, convicted, and shot in the vagina"?
Sorry, these loonytunes don't speak for me, they embarrass me.
A real truckers demonstration that was properly and intelligently organized, with a list of specific and reasonable goals, I could support. But these jokers are just using truckers for the publicity, IMO.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But seriously: are you aware that the organizer Zeeda whatshername is a conservative who believes Obama is a Muslim

Since Obama is an ULTRA conservative, well, why would conservatives fight each other?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But seriously: are you aware that the organizer Zeeda whatshername is a conservative who believes Obama is a Muslim

Since Obama is an ULTRA conservative, well, why would conservatives fight each other?

This comment explains a lot about why truckers never manage to organize a protest: can't even have a serious discussion on the subject without someone insisting on including their political viewpoint.
Just like they are doing in DC, and look where it's getting them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This comment explains a lot about why truckers never manage to organize a protest: can't even have a serious discussion on the subject without someone insisting on including their political viewpoint.

No, it just proves that most people in this country never took, or passed, a history class.

There was NO political comment made, just pointing out of historical facts. Sorry you can't see that. This is EXACTLY why the federal government has NO business in education. (indoctrination)

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Well, let's give it a try. Check out this thread.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in 96 ptoa started a protest that work we had all our memebers run the speed limit where ever they were and in const zone 5 under
we were protesting per deim rate back up to 80 percent from 50 per cent
we did it every friday if we were on 95 and first time we back up traffic on 95 from nc to pa and nj
for over 18 hours

took 8 years to do it but we did it
also there were a few tv ads that put trucks in a bad light and we got them to stop ad's
by asking you have truck parking
told them we would get a premit and have a protest on there street they ask how many trucks
about a thousant or so and throw in pig pen for good luck
they ask what was that , we said ask your drivers
and they were readly to talk and stop ad's

what is pto a perseuted trucker of america

we protested and didn't stop hauling freight
ran by the book and nothing they could do about it

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No, it just proves that most people in this country never took, or passed, a history class.

There was NO political comment made, just pointing out of historical facts. Sorry you can't see that. This is EXACTLY why the federal government has NO business in education. (indoctrination)

The only historical facts that are pertinent to the discussion of a truckers' strike are NOT related to Obama, or education, or conservative/liberal ideology - period.
Sorry you can't see that, but not surprised, as you manage to make almost every subject about Obama and the government's failures, no matter what it started out as.