Truck Stops

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reading another thread made me think of this.

When you folks say a truck stop is dangerous or ugly I am trying to get a handle on just how bad it is. As a fleet guy my truckstop time has been small but I do frequent a few. How would you guys rate (on the ugly scale) the following places,

TA in Moroe MI, Flying J in Beaverdam OH, FJ south of Cincinatti, Petro in Toledo (I-280), FJ in Gulfport MS or the FJ in Whytheville VA (either one).

My wife is curious too, she sees some of the posts in here and now she rarely gets out of the truck!!!

Mods, if this should be moved somewhere else, please do.

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Rene' and I have never been uncomfortable in the Flying J's you mention in Beaverdam, Walton,KY, or Wytheville. We're not familiar with the Gulfport or Monroe locations. Several others are OK as well. Typically if there are a lot of expediters and/or R/v's out front, we feel OK. The nasty locations are usually evident by the XXX joints and check cashing shops very nearby.

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
We have never been to a Flying J that we didn't feel safe at. A few other truck stops that I would never leave the truck at (at least at night) are: the TA in Atlanta (south side of loop), Walt Whitman Truckstop in Philadelphia, the TA I think in Jessup, MD (the one with the hotel in the middle and 50 lot lizards walking the lot) and either TA in Ontario, CA. Those are the ones that stick in my mind.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We avoid most truck stops first because of the risk to the truck. Parking a van in front of a Flying J is one thing. Parking among the big rigs in any truck stop is quite another.

Look at the grounds where the trucks go at any truck stop. There is hardly an object standing or sitting that has not been run into, run over, or otherwise damaged by a truck. And that includes other trucks. With as little time as we spend at truck stops, I am amazed by the number of truck-on-truck accidents I have watched happen. I shouldn't see any, but have seen several.

We don't sleep well at truck stops, knowing that at any moment a truck may run into or back into ours; even though we are properly parked in a presumably safe place.

We have been pestered by prostitutes at truck stops, which is another reason to avoid them. Knocks on the door in the middle of the night are not welcome or appreciated. Beggars pester us too, both in the truck and in the lot. They too seem not to care that we might be asleep in the truck.

Walking inside from in front of the building is probably safe most of the time. But the further you are away and the darker your path, the greater the risks. We never walk between trucks at night. Have heard too many stories about muggers trapping victims there. It may not happen one in 10,000 times. But why expose yourself to that risk even once if you don't have to? If parked at a truck stop at night and we need to go inside, we stick to open ground and well-lit routes.

Truck stop fuel is a necessity. The showers are OK at most and great at a few. As for the food, you know those free food coupons Flying J sends in the mail? We have a bunch of them that we never use. We find Flying J food to be so bad that they can't give it away. Home cooking in the truck is better, as is food in other restaurants.

Out of necessity, we use truck stops a bit. But minimizing our time at them has improved our quality of life on the road.

The best part about truck stops is the easy opportunity they provide to meet other drivers, talk shop and make new friends. Life is what you make it at truck stops. On Thanksgiving, 2007, we had a great time with other expediters at a truck stop in New Jersey.

See: Expediter Thanksgiving at Bordentown

We know a number of expediters that automatically head to the nearest truck stop after almost every load. Whether they are in a big rig, straight truck or van, truck stops are their layover place of choice. Parking elsewhere takes more effort, as trucks are welcome at truck stops and drivers are welcome to hang out.

Last edited:

easyduzit

Seasoned Expediter
the flying J on the south side of dallas has to be the worst in every aspect!!! lot lizards, pan handlers, food, showers, parking...you name it.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Cleveland, Ohio

Don't remember the name its right across from Jacobs Field and large PO distribution complex. It was a true dust bowl with run down bathroom and showers. Guaranteed you’ll need a truck wash when you leave.

Those were the bad points now for the good point its close enough you can walk to Jacobs Field going across a closed down overpass that just pedestrians use. Be careful as its in desperate need of repair might even be torn down since I was there in April 2005. Anyway I went to opening day game and had a blast. It’s a beautiful stadium and it was sold out. Only way to improve the visit to Jacobs Field was to have my Yankees playing there.

Ontario TA eastside has without a doubt the most lot lizards I’ve ever seen. I park close to repair shop and entrance by fuel pumps which seem to keep them at bay.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
TA in Monroe, MI - Poor - Watch your back - Goes for any other truck stop near Detroit

Flying J in Beaverdam, OH - Good

Flying J in Walton, KY - Good

Petro in Toledo, OH (I-280) - Good

Flying J in Perrysburg, OH (Toledo across from the Petro) - Good

Flying J in Whytheville, VA - Good

Flying J in Ft Chiswell, VA ( 3miles from Whytheville) - Good - Nice Truck Stop Ministries church services

Others not so good:

Flying J in Gary, IN - Trashy - Dirty - Watch your back :(

Flying J in Lake Station, IN - Clean out front - Dirty big truck lot - Watch your back :(

Flying J in Dallas, TX - Clean out front - Inside being remodeled so hard to get a quick shower - Watch your back - Ditto any where in Dallas Metro Area :(

Flying J in Columbia, SC - Dump - Showers are deplorable - Very limited parking - Watch your back :(

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Our guy was at the J north of Houston today for fuel/shower. He called me and was explaining the sight he had there. Seems there was a fella look'in round the lot for something to lift, and he was serious, had his a$$ pockets full of tools. Well, wasn't long and someone was minus a generator. Broad daylight. Fella/generator were fading into the timber as the sireeens were showing up. Amazing ain't it?

Y'all can have your truck stops. Give me a shade tree any day.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know Colonel....been a long time since I have seen a shade tree spit soap and water for a shower.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you wait long enough the shower may come. Little America in Flagstaff AZ probably has the best showers in the country.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My vote for worst truck stop is the long defunct East St. Louis Union 76. As they say in real estate; location, location, location. This place had it all. Close proximity to a landfill, stock yard and the urban cesspool that was East St. Louis. Plus the 2 story, modular cardboard offices to house the brokers.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
how bout the pilot on 465 south side of indy? lizards and ahem salesmen. once again a senic view of landfill and a powerplant.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
how bout the pilot on 465 south side of indy? lizards and ahem salesmen. once again a senic view of landfill and a powerplant.

the only reason i stay at a j is for the wifi. and then i try to stay in front with the 5th wheel crowd and their car haulers.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

birmingham ala pilot off 20 had a security vehicle sitting plain as day in the lot watching traffic. small urban lot.

the only reason i stay at a j is for the wifi. and then i try to stay in front with the 5th wheel crowd and their car haulers.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
If you wait long enough the shower may come. Little America in Flagstaff AZ probably has the best showers in the country.

Rich, I totally agree with you never saw a better maintained facility plus the food court has excellent food prepared by the kitchen staff at adjourning hotel. One could make a meal with a bowl of soup. I’m salivating just thinking about it.

The truck shower room has a tub big enough for two maybe three if your real lucky, large vanity, sink, toilet, and glass enclosed shower stall. I would estimate room to be 12’x10’.

If you plan on staying there suggest you get there early as they have parking for 75 or there about.

Would appreciate anybody staying there getting me a few containers of their soup.