truck stop inspections

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Beware! Stay away from the trucks in Iola Kansas at the junction of 54 and 169. We were sitting in the sleeper as were other drivers, and when I was rolling up our curtain I saw the DOT doing inspections on guys just on their downtime. They were staring at all the trucks and knocking on doors to do inspections. We saw this both days we were there. At another small Kansas truck stop we saw while on a pickup, there was a DOT driving up to a truck. A bit ridiculous to me....disturbing people like that when they are taking a break.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering if you are obligated to actually answer the door during your 8 hour reset?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've seen the DOT in Indiana and Ohio at rest stops checking trucks too, not sure if they pulled the truck in there or just stopped to check the trucks parked there

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I knew about rest areas, but a truck stop...cmon. And I have had 2 DOT inspections in the past 3 days, lol, so I was not looking for more at this time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Beware! Stay away from the trucks in Iola Kansas at the junction of 54 and 169.
Oh lordy I do. I have run that route many a time doing the Coffeyville thing, like the drink, only spelled different. I always stay away from the trucks in Iola. I also stay away from the trucks in Garnett, Paola, Chanute, Cherryvale and the rest stop north of Cherryvale. In fact I try and stay away from trucks wherever I go.

The real question is did you get a DOT inspection or do you drive for tristates?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Your correct response to this problem is to address it with the owner of the facility.

That is private property, it would be the owners call to allow, or not, them on HIS private property.

Otherwise ..... move to a CV where you are not regulated by DOT .... which I did.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes you are.

A driver is REQUIRED to wake up when someone knocks on his door? I don't think so. My door gets knocked on from time to time when I am in the sleeper and I NEVER answer it. I would have no idea who was out there. How in the world would I know it was DOT? As far as I know it could be a bum looking for a hand out or a lot lizard.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yes you are.

And I suppose you give the officer consent to search your cab as well?

We have no obligation to open the door to police (in this case, a curtain), unless they have a warrant. Just like in Star Wars, don't answer, and the stormtroopers will move onto the next house.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
And I suppose you give the officer consent to search your cab as well?

We have no obligation to open the door to police (in this case, a curtain), unless they have a warrant. Just like in Star Wars, don't answer, and the stormtroopers will move onto the next house.

How do they even know you are inside the truck, you could be in the truckstop, out for a walk etc etc

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Your correct response to this problem is to address it with the owner of the facility.

That is private property, it would be the owners call to allow, or not, them on HIS private property.

Otherwise ..... move to a CV where you are not regulated by DOT .... which I did.

You are correct. The only way DOT can legally do that is to have the parking lot placed under police jurisdiction. That falls under the owner of the property.
Go someplace else and boycot those facilities. Rest areas are used everywhere by DOT because it's state property.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Every year since I started driving I have been pulled in the scales for inspections. Even at 3am when it was 35 outside I received an inspection on the side of the road. I keep a clean truck, my paperwork very organized and have no problems passing inspections, hut have to admit I feel targeted, lol.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yes you are.

You statists...if it weren't so revolting to watch someone lick every badge they see, it would at least be funny. Or I should say, out would be funny if it weren't so revolting. In America...the founding fathers would be so proud.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Iowa DAT units were working hard last week, too, harassing drivers parked in rest areas.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You statists...if it weren't so revolting to watch someone lick every badge they see, it would at least be funny. Or I should say, out would be funny if it weren't so revolting. In America...the founding fathers would be so proud.

This has nothing to do with road safety. It has everything to do with recouping lost budget revenue.