Truck driver killed in parking lot of TA

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Be careful out there.

Truck driver found dead at Preble County truck stop identified

Truck driver found dead at Preble County truck stop identified

Man struck by semi, killed at truck stop May 27

PREBLE COUNTY — The 59-year-old truck driver who was found dead at the TA Travel Centers of America truck stop on Ohio 127 has been identified as Myron Hallett of Morenci, Mich.
Preble County Sheriff investigators are still awaiting autopsy results for Hallett, who worked for Mercer Transportation Co. in Greenville, Ill., according to Preble County Sheriff Mike Simpson.
Investigators have determined that Hallett was struck by a tractor-trailer, but have not determined if that is what caused his death.
“We have no real witnesses to how he ended up on the ground,” Simpson said Friday.
Deputies were called out to the truck stop, which is north of Interstate 70, at 9:47 p.m. Thursday.
Hallett’s body was discovered by other truck drivers. These drivers approached another truck driver who was seen driving a tractor-trailer that had just come from the area where Hallett’s body was found. Deputies at the scene questioned this truck driver and retrieved some evidence that proved his tractor-trailer had indeed struck Hallett. The truck driver, whose name has not been released, told authorities that he had no idea that he had struck someone. The truck driver’s company sent another driver to finish his route while he was allowed to go home.
Simpson pointed out Friday that lighting is an issue at the truck stop, but it was not clear if lighting played a role in the tractor-trailer hitting Hallett.
Investigators have not determined if Hallett died as a result of the tractor-trailer strike or if he was injured or died prior to the tractor-trailer strike. They are also trying to determine if another tractor-trailer had struck Hallett prior to being hit by the tractor-trailer that had evidence that the deputies collected.
Investigators believe Hallett purchased some food from the truck stop and was heading back to his tractor-trailer when he ended up on the ground, Simpson said. Some food was near Hallett’s body, along with an umbrella. Authorities believe it was raining at the time when Hallett was heading back to his tractor-trailer. Hallett’s body was between 75 to 100 yards away from his tractor-trailer.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How sad. Another tragedy that includes a wake up call for most of us: in low light and visibility situations, extra caution could save your life. We get so comfortable around big trucks, we sometimes forget [as pedestrians] what the driver really can't see.
I believe I'll add a few reflective stripes to my black umbrella today.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Those walking in truck stop parking lots need to pay more attention. They need to pay attention for moving trucks or other "dangers" that are everywhere.

Many truck drivers need to slow down in parking lots. I see far too many speeding and driving in s dangerous manner.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Those walking in truck stop parking lots need to pay more attention. They need to pay attention for moving trucks or other "dangers" that are everywhere.

Many truck drivers need to slow down in parking lots. I see far too many speeding and driving in s dangerous manner.

You are exactly right. The big thing now is how some O/O are riding on low rider seats and can't see over the steering wheel. Supposed to be cool but should be against the law.

crashcart

Active Expediter
Yeah, speeding around in even an empty open parking lot is dangerous. Add to that the folks walking in dark, rainy conditions with a cell phone, or texting and accidents can and will happen.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One thing I try to especially remind women is to walk away from the front of a truck. When crossing the fuel islands or even walking in front of a row of trucks walk at least five foot out. We are generally shorter than most men and we are hard to see over the hoods or in reality impossible to see.

When crossing the fuel island catch the drivers eye before walking in front of a truck to verify that he or she has seen you.

We have to also take responsibility ourselves as well to stay safe as we know that trucks have blind spots.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Last nite had i been a few steps further walking past the front of trucks in the fuel isle........well, hate to think about it. I was walking at a steady pace and a d*** **ss driver startled me when about a half a lane ahead of me, gunned his tractor out of the isle like there was no tomorrow. I presume he saw me coming and wanted to beat me with his 53 footer, j**k! Glad someone wasn't coming from the other direction as well.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How sad. Another tragedy that includes a wake up call for most of us: in low light and visibility situations, extra caution could save your life. We get so comfortable around big trucks, we sometimes forget [as pedestrians] what the driver really can't see.

Low light?

Seriously Cheri, I have been almost killed twice in daylight with my nice big yellow shirt on with reflective strips.

A couple weeks ago I watched as a truck was on the scale, the driver gets back into his truck and just goes, almost running over a girl and her dog 10 feet in front of him.

It isn't that we get comfortable but the drivers get careless and don't watch what's going on around them - always assuming they are more important.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Low light?

Seriously Cheri, I have been almost killed twice in daylight with my nice big yellow shirt on with reflective strips.

A couple weeks ago I watched as a truck was on the scale, the driver gets back into his truck and just goes, almost running over a girl and her dog 10 feet in front of him.

It isn't that we get comfortable but the drivers get careless and don't watch what's going on around them - always assuming they are more important.

Walmarts are just as bad,,I think the lots at walmart are a training ground for Nascar, whats up with racing in and out of those lots anyway?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some folks think the rules don't apply in parking lots.
Kind of like some boaters, except I think a lot of them don't even know there ARE rules.....:mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, some people are just always in a hurry to get to Walmart. They gotta git whatever they need. Then, once they get there and git it, it suddenly dawns on them that they are at Walmart. :eek:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Many of them jet ski dudes are worse than the bad boaters.

...and for that, Jeffman and I thank you...lol. Prefer the jetski. Respect the swimmers, boaters, and fisherpeople.

The most dangerous lot we have been in to date: Pilot, Knoxville at 40/75. People FLY into that lot off the road to get to the attached Wendy's drive-thru, whose lane is located between van parking and the building ("Your turn to get the ice!"...."Nuh-uh!") Many cars almost getting rearended turning into there, how they didn't I do not know....lots of horns all night though. No one in the passenger vehicles seemed to be aware if their surroundings past the lure if a 99 cent Frosty.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008