Tragic Death for American Military Hero

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What difference does it make what kind of action a rifle is.
It doesn't make any difference at all. I used term for accuracy, because that's what he was handed. But feel free to substitute any firearm, or lethal weapon of your choice, and my statement still stands.

PLEASE don't insult me by saying that one can kill more of anything with a semi than other actions, PLEASE tell me that no one in here is THAT stupid!
You had me going right up until that statement. Not that the type of firearm he was handed made any difference in his case, but there's a reason the military uses semiautomatic rifles instead of single bolt action rifles, and it's not because both types of actions can kill the same amount of people in a given time frame. Shooting two people in two seconds is very different from shooting one, having to take time to reload, and giving the second person a chance to get away or defend himself. So yes, there are plenty of instances where you can kill more of anything with a semiautomatic than with other actions.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So, you can only be respected and a hero if you volunteered, not drafted, and only then if you served in combat. Got it.
Not quite; military service in a hospital or behind a desk in an office bldg is certainly commendable, but just not at the same level as service in combat.
And yet someone handed this obviously mentally ill nutcase with PTSD a semiautomatic weapon, thinking it would give him calm release. You just can't make it up.
So far there's been no explanation as to why they had this Routh guy out on the range other than trying to work with his PTSD, which doesn't seem to make sense. Evidently Routh had more serious problems that Kyle wasn't aware of. Hopefully more details will be forthcoming, but right now it appears Routh killed Kyle & Littlefield at point blank range with a semi-automatic handgun.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It seems most of your criticism about the guy is based on the fact that you don't think we should be in the war to begin with. I get that, but why do you feel it necessary to besmirch this guy. What little that you know of him is from his own statements, but what has he done while at war that you detest?
Look at his comments on the ROE at the start of the war and his general attitude towards his (supposed) "enemies" (and the population ?) over there ... and let your imagination run wild:

On page 79, Kyle describes the Rules of Engagement that his unit followed when they were deployed to Shatt al-Arab, a river on the Iraq-Iran border: “Our ROEs when the war kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and they’re male, shoot ‘em. Kill every male you see. That wasn’t the official language, but that was the idea.”

Operating in such a manner would be a violation of the Geneva Conventions - IOW: a war crime.

(BTW - If his statement is actually true with respect to the ROE, then it means that the military itself - as an institution - was actually complicit in the commission of war crimes)

Then toss in this moron's take on the religious aspect:

“The people we were fighting in Iraq, after Saddam’s army fled or was defeated, were fanatics,” Kyle insists. “They hated us because we weren’t Muslim. They wanted to kill us, even though we’d just booted out their dictator, because we practiced a different religion than they did.”
Yeah ... it couldn't have possibly been because you (meaning the military, or some portion thereof) had invaded their country and were running around committing all sorts of mayhem and evil ... including rape, torture, and murder ...

As to "besmirching this guy" ... well, it's my sense that this guy isn't at all what he appears to be at first blush ...

From my perspective, and as pointed out by Will Grigg, a sane human being (real "hero" ?) would at least have some respect for an enemy who was willing to fight and die to defend his homeland from foreign occupation ... often in the face of totally overwhelming odds and much superior technology.

Kyle takes the opposite tact and seeks to demonize them as "cowards" and "sub-human" ... which is simply a way of making himself "right" and his enemies "wrong" ...

Of course, that is completely laughable ... particularly considering what Kyle was actually doing - which certainly wasn't directly facing the enemy in close quarters battle ... but rather hiding ... and then picking them off from the (relative) safety of concealment.

If that passes for "hero" then someone is using a different definition than I am.

Beyond that, one has to examine Kyle's motivation (self-glorification apparently) for writing the book and seeking out the limelight ...

Kyle claimed (in his book) to have punched out Jesse Ventura during a wake for Michael Mansoor (a Navy Seal) in 2006 at a bar in Coronado, CA (Mc P's) and that after doing so he (Kyle apparently) quickly ran away ...

Kyle didn't even have the nut to actually mention Ventura by name in the book but later (inadvisedly) admitted in an interview that Ventura was who he was referring to.

Ventura promptly sued him for defamation of character and claimed that the incident was a total fabrication and had never occurred ... and claimed that it was his support for Ron Paul that prompted Kyle to defame him.

One thing I do know is that absolutely bloodthirsty fans of war (and they certainly do exist) hate Dr. Paul with a rabid passion - ostensibly for his positions with respect to foreign policy and war and peace ... so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me that someone like Kyle - who I would contend is a murderous psychopath - would be motivated to do such a thing.

In this regard Dr. Paul's positions themselves - although not directed specifically to a particular individual - serve, for some, to function as a condemnation of their behavior.

Many members of the cult of the militarism and empire tend take a very dim view of such anti-war positions.

If you wish to read Ventura's court filing - which references and includes some of Kyle's evasive answers to direct questions under oath - and which cites Kyle's own statements from his book where Kyle cops to the fact that he is an self-admitted liar and has successfully avoided legal prosecution (military and civilian) as consequence of those lies - you can find it at the following link:

In court Jesse Ventura fires back at local Navy sniper who claimed in book, interviews he punched the former governor | The Scoop Blog

It also cites Kyle's own wife who describes Kyle as: "arrogant, self-centered, and glory-seeking" and who apparently told him (Kyle): "You lie and think you can do whatever you want."

Beyond that, Ventura's claim that it never happened is backed up by the two former UDT/SEAL's who were with him at the bar and Terry "Mother" Moy - the owner of the bar (and former SEAL) who investigated the alleged "incident" - and determined that it never occurred.
Chris Kyle a hero ?

It just ain't smelling like that to me ... and I've only taken a cursory look ...

When you are at war the object is to kill as many of the people that are trying to kill you as possible, right?
No - when you are at war the object is to win - so that hostilities can cease and peace can resume.

There are instances and times where achieving that goal may involve killing as many people as possible that are trying to kill you - but not always.

In fact, if one truly values and respects the lives of those who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, one would look to resolve conflicts and war in a manner which both assures security and avoids any unnecessary loss of life.

Would you have been happier if the snipper would have allowed the women to kill several Americans because he thought she might be a freedom fighter? Of course not (right?).
Correct - I would not have been happier had several Americans been killed ...

But then I don't trust the veracity of the reporter of the incident.

I'm guessing most soldiers don't get any pleasure out of killing, but if you're shooting at me, or placing a IED to kill me, I'd be happy that you were killed. (obviously not meaning you personally)
I would agree ... at least in the sense that most don't get any pleasure out of killing (probably nearly all - if they are really willing to be honest, lose any false bravado, and actually go ... there)

As far as the "happy" aspect of killing another human being ... I don't know, but I wouldn't say that exactly - I'm sure however that anyone who has faced the prospect of death at the hands of another is relieved when that threat is removed.

Beyond that, the burden that must be borne by those who have taken the life of a fellow human being isn't something that I would wish on anyone - friend or foe.

In a nut shell, what I'm saying is don't hate the warrior, hate the ones that caused the war.
That's one viewpoint on it ... one which Kyle addressed in the C-SPAN piece I watched last night. He really pushed "the don't be mad at me, be mad at Congress/pols/etc" angle ....

The position has some merit to be sure ... as usual, there is plenty of responsibility/culpability to go around ...

On the other hand, if one follows that logic (I'm not really responsible for what I have done - it's the guys that declared war and ordered me to do it) to it's ultimate conclusion, one winds up at a placed called ... Nuremberg ...

This country, as a nation, has made it's thoughts known on that premise.

I still like the idea of putting the leaders of countries who want to go to war out in a field with battle axes.
Your sense of justice (and irony - considering most current "leaders" don't actually do any of the fighting) is very well developed I'd say ... ;)

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"You had me going right up until that statement. Not that the type of firearm he was handed made any difference in his case, but there's a reason the military uses semiautomatic rifles instead of single bolt action rifles, and it's not because both types of actions can kill the same amount of people in a given time frame. Shooting two people in two seconds is very different from shooting one, having to take time to reload, and giving the second person a chance to get away or defend himself. So yes, there are plenty of instances where you can kill more of anything with a semiautomatic than with other actions."

Sorry, but that is an incorrect statement. The military went to semi's for 3 primary reasons, none of which involved accuracy or kill rates. One was lower recoil, two was high rates of suppression fire and three they no longer, and have not for a very long time, taught marksmanship. (The marines still teach very basic marksmanship but it ends there)

The second and all shots after the second, out of a semi are less accurate than with any other type of repeating rifle. The shorter the time between rounds fired the less accurate they are. ANYONE who is competent with either a bolt action or a pump action rifle can fire follow up shots in a more accurate manner than with a semi. Two seconds with a bolt is VERY doable. Same with a pump.

It has been proven on ranges and in combat time and time again that slightly slower well placed shots will result in more hit targets or kills than faster fire.

I am far from expert with a rifle but I have, and still can, suppress more "targets permanently", with my bolt or pump that most can with a semi.

My hit to shot ratio will be higher and I will use far fewer rounds for each hit leaving me more rounds to continue firing when all the "spray shooters" are out of ammo.

I also don't even know what a single bolt action rifle is. Do you mean a single shot bolt?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It has been proven on ranges and in combat time and time again that slightly slower well placed shots will result in more hit targets or kills than faster fire.
It has been proven in shopping malls and movie theaters time and time again that a nutjob with a semiautomatic weapon spaying bullets will result more hit targets and kills than slower fire.

I also don't even know what a single bolt action rifle is. Do you mean a single shot bolt? [/COLOR]
Yes. Single shot, bolt action.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, you can believe what ever you want, I am not going to prove it in that way. Would be MORE than willing to prove it, as I did in basic, on the range, (that one cost me 50 push ups but the DI was laughing when he gave them to me) or even in a layout boat.

I don't shoot a single shot bolt action rifle. Mine has a magazine capacity of 4 with one in the chamber. As far as I know the last time the military used single shot rifles, of any type of action in large numbers, was the Civil War. I don't believe, but I could be wrong, that they ever used a single shot bolt action rifle.

Most "sniper rifles" are bolt action rifles.

ANY fool can shoot into large crowds of unarmed people, and hit something. That in itself does not prove a thing other than the luck factor.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
In terms of sheer firepower, I'd take a 50 cal. BMG or chain gun over a single-shot bolt-action rifle any day of the week ...

YMMV ...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In terms of sheer firepower, I'd take a 50 cal. BMG or chain gun over a single-shot bolt-action rifle any day of the week ...

YMMV ...

What is it with single shot bolts? I am beginning to wonder if we are speaking the same language?

Here is a prime example of a .50BMG bolt action sniper rifle. As with most bolt action rifles it is not a single shot.

McMillan TAC-50, McMillan 50 Caliber, 50 Cal Sniper Rifle

Just for those who don't know, .50BMG is "short" for .50 Browning Machine Gun. The cartridge and original gun was designed at the end of WWI by Browning. The action was patterned off of the M1919 in 30.06 caliber. The .50 caliber was known at the M2.

NOT to be confused with the "M2" on an original Star Trek episode.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I dunno ...

Single-shot, bolt action rifles do, in fact, exist ... ;)

Don't feel bad ... I've been wondering whether or not you and I exist in the same universe ... :p

*SIGH*. Yes, single shot bolt action rifles exist.

In reality all rifles are "single shot". Some, most, rifles have either a clip or a magazine that hold additional rounds that allow for fresh rounds to be chambered quicker that can be done with a "classic" single shot.

I was, however, comparing a repeating bolt action to that of a semi-auto rifle of the same caliber. The round knows not the difference from which it is fired.

I contend, and can prove, that a repeating bolt can be as effective as a semi-auto in taking out targets. Slow fire, 3-5 seconds between shots is ALWAYS more effective that "as fast as you can".

Keep in mind that the faster the rate of fire the quicker the barrel heats up, changing it's point of impact and degrading it's accuracy.

As to what universe I exist in, I exist in the REAL one. Where you exist, or don't exist, has yet to be determined!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What is it with single shot bolts? I am beginning to wonder if we are speaking the same language?
OK, let me try to explain to you what a single shot bolt action rifle is. Single-shot firearms are firearms that only hold one round of ammunition and must be reloaded after each shot. Bolt-action is a type of firearm action in which the weapon's bolt is operated manual by the opening and closing of the breech (barrel) with a small handle, most commonly placed on the right-hand side of the weapon. As the handle is operated, the bolt is unlocked, the breech is opened, the spent cartridge case is withdrawn and ejected, the firing pin is cocked (either on the opening or closing of the bolt, depending on design), and finally a new round/cartridge (if available) is placed into the breech and the bolt closed. So, bolt-action rifles which only hold a single round of ammunition and must be reloaded after each shot are called single shot bolt action firearms. I'm surprised you don't know that.

Yes, I can believe what I want, and one thing I absolutely believe is that if I were ever to go on a SHTF "spray and prey" adventure, I wouldn't want a single shot bolt action rifle, I'd want either an automatic or semi automatic rifle. How about you?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was, however, comparing a repeating bolt action to that of a semi-auto rifle of the same caliber.
It would have saved a lot of time and aggravation if you'd had said that in the first place, instead of comparing a semiautomatic to all "other actions".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, let me try to explain to you what a single shot bolt action rifle is. Single-shot firearms are firearms that only hold one round of ammunition and must be reloaded after each shot. Bolt-action is a type of firearm action in which the weapon's bolt is operated manual by the opening and closing of the breech (barrel) with a small handle, most commonly placed on the right-hand side of the weapon. As the handle is operated, the bolt is unlocked, the breech is opened, the spent cartridge case is withdrawn and ejected, the firing pin is cocked (either on the opening or closing of the bolt, depending on design), and finally a new round/cartridge (if available) is placed into the breech and the bolt closed. So, bolt-action rifles which only hold a single round of ammunition and must be reloaded after each shot are called single shot bolt action firearms. I'm surprised you don't know that.

Yes, I can believe what I want, and one thing I absolutely believe is that if I were ever to go on a SHTF "spray and prey" adventure, I wouldn't want a single shot bolt action rifle, I'd want either an automatic or semi automatic rifle. How about you?

A single shot bolt, break, lever action firearms all have one thing in common, no clip or magazine. ANY firearm, regardless of action, that has some sort of additional rounds available, is called a "repeating firearm". That can be a bolt, semi, lever, pump etc.

IF I were of mind to go on a "spree" to take out multiple targets I would use a Mossberg MVP with a 30 round magazine. Which is a repeating bolt action rifle.

Rifle Review: The Mossberg MVP | Outdoor Life

That is of course assuming a 5.56X45MM round. Which is not my favorite in any way, shape or form. It is just SO WIMPY. I only want one because my shoulder can no longer take a day of 50 rounds on the range from my 30.06. Been far too many of those on that shoulder.

"Single-shot firearms are firearms that hold only a single round of ammunition, and must be reloaded after each shot"

"A repeating rifle is a single barreled rifle containing multiple rounds of ammunition. These rounds are loaded from a magazine by means of a manual or automatic mechanism, and the action that reloads the rifle also typically recocks the firing action. The term repeating rifle is most often applied to weapons in which the next cartridge is loaded by a manual action, as opposed to semi-automatic rifles, in which the force of one shot is used to load the next."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would have saved a lot of time and aggravation if you'd had said that in the first place, instead of comparing a semiautomatic to all "other actions".

I did not, I compared it to a bolt or a pump. I assumed you understood that I was talking about repeaters since single shots are normally called single shots then clarified with the type of action.

No matter.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
A single shot bolt, break, lever action firearms all have one thing in common, no clip or magazine. ANY firearm, regardless of action, that has some sort of additional rounds available, is called a "repeating firearm". That can be a bolt, semi, lever, pump etc.

IF I were of mind to go on a "spree" to take out multiple targets I would use a Mossberg MVP with a 30 round magazine. Which is a repeating bolt action rifle.

Rifle Review: The Mossberg MVP | Outdoor Life

That is of course assuming a 5.56X45MM round. Which is not my favorite in any way, shape or form. It is just SO WIMPY. I only want one because my shoulder can no longer take a day of 50 rounds on the range from my 30.06. Been far too many of those on that shoulder.

"Single-shot firearms are firearms that hold only a single round of ammunition, and must be reloaded after each shot"

"A repeating rifle is a single barreled rifle containing multiple rounds of ammunition. These rounds are loaded from a magazine by means of a manual or automatic mechanism, and the action that reloads the rifle also typically recocks the firing action. The term repeating rifle is most often applied to weapons in which the next cartridge is loaded by a manual action, as opposed to semi-automatic rifles, in which the force of one shot is used to load the next."

OMG.......!! We get it, you know a lot about guns. To ramble on, off topic like you just did should have a lot people worried about your mental health.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OMG.......!! We get it, you know a lot about guns. To ramble on, off topic like you just did should have a lot people worried about your mental health.

I likely know more about firearms than you do about mental health. Do you EVER not look for ways to get personal or is it a disease?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I likely know more about firearms than you do about mental health. Do you EVER not look for ways to get personal or is it a disease?

Do you recognize irony when you type it?

Speaking of mental health, it's accepted that Kyle was an expert on being 'lethal', [because rattlesnakes can't talk
:rolleyes:], but I'm wondering why he thought he had the qualifications to treat someone suffering from a mental disorder. 'Been there & done that' works for alcoholics, but mental illness is a whole 'nother kind of problem, and amateurs have no business 'treating' it, no matter how well intentioned.
If Kyle was dabbling in therapy for PTSD, he died of his own hubris.