Touchdown Jesus/John Matuszak

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The new and improved Jesus is quite a bit more "Catholic looking". Kind of like a concrete statue one might have in an English garden.

I'm confused: I thought the original was more 'Catholic' looking, as in some sort of agony, like the crucifixion. That's a Catholic preference, right?
It always gave me the shudders, but it was like a horrific wreck I just had to look at.
The new one is much blander - I even wave sometimes on my way by.
;)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I'm confused: I thought the original was more 'Catholic' looking, as in some sort of agony, like the crucifixion. That's a Catholic preference, right?;)

Not really, at least not for outside statuary. My memory of catholic school grounds, convent courtyards, and rectory grounds is that statues of Jesus, Mary, and any saint were almost always full standing statues with elbows to their sides but hands out slightly, with palms to the viewer. Sometimes the palms out deal was reserved for Jesus and Mary and the saints would have their hands together or would be holding something.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I'm confused: I thought the original was more 'Catholic' looking, as in some sort of agony, like the crucifixion. That's a Catholic preference, right?
It always gave me the shudders, but it was like a horrific wreck I just had to look at.
The new one is much blander - I even wave sometimes on my way by.
;)

Most of the Catholic statuary I am familiar with is the " Mary on the half shell" variety.

maryonthehalfshell.jpg

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I like this one much better than the touchdown version... looks like He's reaching out to you :)

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I kinda miss ol' John Matuszak Jesus

Jesus-John.jpg

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
None of these statues are "Jesus".

There really is a command for not creating any likeness and this long haired hippie person we've come to know as Jesus.......is to be ignored. As to hanging on the cross? This is also folly to the true believer. Gives me the shudders to see it as well because it symbolizes something not Biblical at all.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It's a definite transgression of the second commandment. No such depiction of God is to be made. That they can't see this...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Jesus is God, second Person of the Trinity, wholly God and wholly man.

Jesus was the "son of God". I would argue those who worship Jesus as God are actually breaking the 2nd Commandment.

Those pesky Romans wrote the New Testament, not God. Something about what is Ceasar's?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Clearly, the way to go is go polytheist. Sure, that flies in the face of a few thousand years of "Ye shall have no other gods before me," but really, that sounds more like a jealous girlfriend saying, "If I catch you looking at other girls, you're in big trouble, Mister!" The whole "no other gods before me" kinda implies that there might actually be some other gods loitering about. And going polytheist neatly answers the age-old question, "Why does god allow so much suffering in the world?"

When tragedy strikes, the monotheistic approach can only offer the tired old, "It is not for us to question God's will." Really? Why not? Why not us? Who else is in the questioning business? Us.

But look what happens when we ask the same question from a pantheistic perspective. Why do the various and sundry gods allow so much suffering in the world? Because outside of their particular area of expertise: farming, war, fertility, whatever, they are not even remotely in control. The buck stops nowhere. (In this scenario both the Old Testament and New Testament deities are off the hook as far as your general suffering is concerned.) But here's the really good news: with a polytheistic approach to prayer we can micro-target our beseeching. Trouble with love? Take it to Aphrodite. Not catching enough fish? Poseidon. Are you regularly waking up from alcohol-induced blackouts in the sleeping compartment of long-haul trucks that carry circus equipment and little people? That sounds like a job for Dionysus.

In other words, whatever the crisis might be, there's a god ready to take your call. What are you waiting for? Call now and receive a free goat-sacrificing kit! Goat sold separately.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Standing tall and proud now, full body Jesus, instead of upper torso only signaling a touchdown. Locally folks called him The Butter Jesus, as it was the color of butter. Melted like butter too, when the hand of god struck it down with lightning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

*** A friend of mine, former Catholic, read the above , took all his Catholic statues down in his home, and that was that. Today he is not a practicing Catholic....well, that was his decision.. in many christian bookstores, they are loaded with statues of Angels, and such, hmmmmm.

One can do what he or she wants in their home, freewill thing.....we all have a choice.:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just what is a "Catholic" statue? I was not aware that art work could have religion.

Growing up in a catholic home I knew exactly what was meant. I'm sure it is due to that upbringing I still carry a St. Christophers medallion on my key ring.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited: