"Touchdown Jesus" Burns....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They did not finish my truck today. They got hammered by trucks with loads on board. They got the APU serviced and the TVAL calibration down. They still need to finish up the TCU maintenance. I sure hope that they get it done by tomorrow. I hate to miss another days work. Star Trek in 1/2 hour. How is your truck running?

Who did you bring it to?

I hope they called to tell you this. One place bumped me three times in on day but never called, I was ****ed when I arrived to pick up the truck and it wasn't even touched.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Except for the last sentence, which part was disrespectful? I mean, substitute "omnipotent being" for "cosmic turtle" and you've got a pretty fair description of the Christian religion, right? The last sentence was Turtle being Turtle - unable to resist getting a joke in there, even at the risk of offending someone.:eek:
If you want to believe in something without an iota of proof that it actually exists, how can you fault anyone for being skeptical, to say the least?
OTouchdown Jesus made a great target for mockery, being so over the top in self promotion that it just begged to be ridiculed.
When folks start ridiculing genuine efforts to do good unto others, then you SHOULD speak out - but I can't see TJ as anything but conspicuous self promotion, and tacky at that.
It's like the difference between those who can well afford to pay big bucks for charity, but only do so when they get something in return, [ie an upscale dinner, exclusive preview of an arts event, golf tournament/game, etc] versus those who donate money they can ohardly afford, or even better, their time, to charity. The former don't deserve a pat on the back, [but often get their picture in the newspaper, with praise] while the latter deserve it [and rarely get it].
There's genuine goodness, and then there's hypocrisy, and the latter just rubs me the wrong way.

Sorry Cheri, in my mind this ceased to be about the statue, when Turtle's whole post was obviously meant to mock the holiest precepts of Christianity.

As for one iota of proof? Please . Its a historical fact Jesus existed. There are multiple eyewitness accounts of His works. Other religions even admit He was real.

I know He's real. Ive seen the difference he's made in peoples lives. That cant be faked. Ive seen people dying with, and without Him. Theres a saying that says I cant show you the wind, but I can show you where its been.

Im not got to keep arguing that point. He is real. I know it as surely as I know my wife is real. I was indeed offended by a mocking portrayal of faith.

The statue is a point of preference. Over the top? Sure. Wrong? Not sure.

Dale

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who did you bring it to?

I hope they called to tell you this. One place bumped me three times in on day but never called, I was ****ed when I arrived to pick up the truck and it wasn't even touched.

Scott's Commercial Truck in Toledo. I get LOTS of work down there. They are always straight with me. Yes, they called. I have been out there this evening. The APU is done, so is the calibration, only the TCU maintenance is not finished and they hope to have it done tomorrow. The place was a zoo this evening. Broken reefer trucks everywhere. I never seen it so busy.

Now I must shut this down and unplug. The lighting is getting bad.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The last sentence was Turtle being Turtle - unable to resist getting a joke in there, even at the risk of offending someone.:eek:
Even though I am normally morally opposed to explaining humor, right here is where 100% of the inspiration for that last sentence came from:

OhGodBed.jpg

My "new religion" was an absurdity, done on purpose for the humor, and then I took the above and twisted it around to make it equally absurd, and then put them together.

I've got a lot of stuff rattling around in my head, and they get put together in many different ways that I find funny. Sometimes others find it funny, too, sometimes not. That's the way it goes. I cannot start trying to play to the "least offensive" audience when it comes to my humor. If anyone thinks I sit here and concoct ways to offend or disrespect someone, well, they're dead wrong and likely have their own issues. While some people have an open mind that is so open their brains fall out, there are some who are so close-minded that nothing gets in.

If you notice, I very rarely make fun of God. I'll make fun of some of the things His Fan Club says and does, tho.

Ever notice how we despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own precious list of sacred things. And yet, we are shocked and angered when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us?

I will not interfere with anyone's religion, either to strengthen it or to weaken it, to tell anyone they should or should not believe this or that. I believe that what happens in the hereafter will happen, regardless of what one's religion may be. I understand that one's religion can be a great comfort to people in this life, and therefore is both valuable and important. But that doesn't mean I won't make fun it it.

Jews are God's Chosen People. We know that because it says so in the Old Testament... which was written by Jews.

Man is God's noblest creature. And who made that astounding discovery? Man.

God made man at the end of the week, when He was tired.

Number28

Seasoned Expediter
If I am not mistaken the resurrection, divine pregnancy and several other biblical things were previously used in other religions. Should Pagans be offended at christianity? If I am wrong here please point it out, for I am far from a biblical scholar.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, Pagans shouldn't be offended at Christianity, any more than Christians should be offended at Paganism. If anyone is offended by another's religious beliefs, then they should probably take a long, hard look at their own.

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion - several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven." -- Mark Twain

Number28

Seasoned Expediter
What I was talking about was from the movie religulous, Maher talked about alot of christian beliefs (resurrection, divine pregnancy and December 25th, sticks out in my memory) that were taken from previous religions. I am not sure how much was fact and how much was conjecture, maybe you know.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Now THAT was funny lol. And it explains so much.... guess man was ruff draft....woman....nah, never mind. I may steal that line.

Turtle, I guess I took your humor too literally, I do tend to be sensitive there... which is exactly why i rarely post on religion or politics. While I did find it offensive, I will admit I jumped to the conclusion that you meant it as a direct, on purpose insult.

My faith is the defining element to my life, its who I am, and is providing the direction of my future. My personal feelings sometimes get in the way of trying to remain neutral as Admin. Still not perfect, but unlike some, I hold no longterm grudge! My faith wont let me, believe me Ive tried, and God gave me a whoopin lol.

Back to our regular fussin. Thanks for tryin to explain to us 'sensitive' folks.

Thanks to all the neutral folks for bearin with us.

Dale

Number28

Seasoned Expediter
Here are a couple of the quotes from Maher's movie, still not sure if they are factual.

We've got Krishna who was in India

1,000 years before Christ.
Krishna was a carpenter,

born of a virgin, baptized in a river.

Are you saying that
was written in history?

That was written down in history,
is that what you're saying?

Absolutely, there's the Persian god
Mithra, 600 years before Christ.

Born December 25th,
performed miracles,

resurrected on the third day,

known as the Lamb, the Way, the Truth,
the Light, the Savior, Messiah.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now THAT was funny lol. And it explains so much.... guess man was ruff draft....woman....nah, never mind. I may steal that line.
I don't remember the exact quote, but it's a paraphrasing of something that Mark Twain wrote. I think it's funny, too, but one time a woman got all mad at me when I said it, because "God never gets tired!" she said, and then told me I was disrespecting God. You should have seen her reaction when I told her that God was disappointed in the monkey, so he invented Man, and when he did so, he insulted the monkey. :D

You can take a long look at humanity and without a whole lot of convincing come to the conclusion that it's a pity that Noah and his party didn't miss the boat.

Turtle, I guess I took your humor too literally, I do tend to be sensitive there...
No need to apologize, I understand. Religious types tend to be that way. Everything can be made fun of, except their own religion. :D

While I did find it offensive, I will admit I jumped to the conclusion that you meant it as a direct, on purpose insult.
An insult to who? You? What for? I've got no reason to insult you. None. I'm just talkin' here, spewing my opinions for people to read or not, talking to no one in particular.

My faith is the defining element to my life, its who I am, and is providing the direction of my future.
And I have no problems with that at all. If someone's religious beliefs are important to them, then it's important. I will not tell them they are wrong to believe it. Who am I to start telling people what they should and should not believe? The only time I have problems with someone's faith is when they try to use it against me, use it to make judgments against me, or simply bash me over the head with it.

addiscartoon.jpg

Back to our regular fussin. Thanks for tryin to explain to us 'sensitive' folks.
No problem. Hey, I've got a great joke about the Virgin Birth. Wanna hear it? LOL

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No problem. Hey, I've got a great joke about the Virgin Birth. Wanna hear it? LOL

Didn't you post that joke a couple of years ago, resulting in the Immaculate Deletion?

Got any butterhead jokes?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Didn't you post that joke a couple of years ago, resulting in the Immaculate Deletion?

Question. If you wouldnt post a joke involving race or sexual preference, why would it be ok to offend a religious group.

Just sayin.

Dale

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Question. If you wouldnt post a joke involving race or sexual preference, why would it be ok to offend a religious group.

Just sayin.

Dale

It is currently in "style" to make fun of or ridicule religious beliefs, religion and those who have religious beliefs. That is what makes it OK for narrow minds to partake in this sort of thing, Dale. It is a very childish form of gutter humor. I fully understand why you might be offended by much of this. In some cases the offensive person might not be aware that his/her/it's sense of humor is offensive while other "pretend" not to know so that they can offend without guilt.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not just humor that offends some religious people, it can be simply questioning the beliefs. "The DaVinci Code", remember that? Oh, the outrage!!, that someone might have the gall to suggest that something other than The Word may be true. When that movie was out, there was a group of Catholics set up at the theater encouraging people not to see the movie. Seems that they didn't have much confidence in their beliefs. If they were truly confident, why not just say, "Oh yea, bring it!!"

60MPH

Expert Expediter
question. If you wouldnt post a joke involving race or sexual preference, why would it be ok to offend a religious group.

Just sayin.

Dale

because religion is a choice!! Your race is not, as for sexual preference i see no problem making jokes about it i have heard jokes from both sides hetero & homo and neither of them offended me. IT'S JUST A JOKE!!!! SOME PEOPLE TAKE THEM SELF TO SERIOUSLY ON HERE :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why wouldn't you post a joke involving race? Are all jokes that involve race offensive?

Why wouldn't you post a joke about sexual preference? Are all jokes involving sexual preference offensive?

Are all jokes involving religion offensive? Even the ones you think are funny?

Are you really trying to say that all jokes involving race, sexual preference and religion are off limits to humor? Really?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is currently in "style" to make fun of or ridicule religious beliefs, religion and those who have religious beliefs.
It's always been in style to make fun of religious beliefs, and it always will be. You yourself have made fun of Muslim beliefs on at least one occasion here on EO. What's up with that? Of course, it's perfectly fine to make fun of someone else's religion, they just can't make fun of yours is all.

Here's one of my favorite quotes, written by someone you know, and probably have a lot of respect for:

"I posted it in the Soapbox because I was afraid that some would NOT see the humor, I was right. It is a shame that we can no longer laugh at ourselfs, is it not?"

I just wish that the person who typed it actually meant it.

That is what makes it OK for narrow minds to partake in this sort of thing, Dale.
Many religious folks have some of the most narrow minds on the planet. They will even belittle others who make fun of them.

It is a very childish form of gutter humor.
Told ya.

I fully understand why you might be offended by much of this.
I don't. Either his faith is solid, or it's not. If it's solid, nothing that can be said about it should matter in the least.

In some cases the offensive person might not be aware that his/her/it's sense of humor is offensive while other "pretend" not to know so that they can offend without guilt.
Every time someone utters an opinion, somebody somewhere it gonna find it offensive. There's no reason to feel guilt over that. The only thing someone should experience guilt over is the hypocrisy of getting upset or offended when they are disparaged, but then proceed to disparage others guilt-free.