"Touchdown Jesus" Burns....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find this religious mocking quite disturbing coming from a land that was founded partly on tolerance of religion....I mean WHO cares...it makes some feel good about it...so be it...gee whiz...

and you whom call yourselves American at that....
No one is mocking religion here, it is the nonsensical, foolish and comical that is being mocked. Again, just because it involves religion doesn't mean it's off limits.

....should we vilify the navitity scenes as well....???
If a Nativity scene is created to look garish, gaudy, ridiculous and comical and totally irreverent, yes, absolutely. Nativity scenes aren't mocked and vilified on a wholesale basis because they are Nativity scenes. Neither are reverent and tasteful depictions of Jesus. But, if you create something silly lookin', it's gonna be mocked, no matter what it is.

Free speech a disclaimer? Not hardly. It's the core of who we are. Many people confuse what free speech is all about. Some think it is supposed to mean that you can say whatever you want, no matter how ridiculous, and no one should be allowed to disagree with or criticize what you say.

"...and these people display their beliefs and get blasted by some as being overzealous... "

Yup. These people have the right to say what they want and in the manner in which they want to say it, but that doesn't free them from any and all criticisms for their message nor for the method in which they convey it. Free speech cuts both ways. People have the freedom to say what they want, but other people have the same right to criticize, even make fun of, what is said.

"I don't like they way you live your life. I don't like the way you talk about things or think about things, and I feel threatened by the decisions you make, so I'm going to get together with my like-minded friends and talk about how you're a horrible and stupid person."

Christians will think, "What?!?! He's making fun of Christians! How dare he?"

No, he's not making fun of Christians. He's making fun of vegetarians. OK, Christians, too. But also Atheists, and Muslims, and French Canadians. They all think the same way. It comes from all camps of all beliefs. Sometimes it's because the one side is genuinely threatening to the other, but often enough, it's just because of the nice little ego boost that comes from calling someone else stupid. It's is also very upsetting for some people to admit that they might not understand something. For someone to say something you don't understand, to admit that you don't understand, and then to admit they might not be wrong and you might be wrong - for some people that is in itself a terrifying threat. So they gather together with people who think like they do, to bolster and validate their beliefs and egos.

I'm gonna start a new religion. A cosmic zombie turtle who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat the fruit of a magical tree. He will impregnate a woman with himself as her child so that he can be born as himself, and once alive he will sacrifice himself to himself to save you from the original sin he and that dаmned snake condemned you to. You will have to go to church on a weekly basis for worship, however if you spent most of the previous night laying in bed screaming, "Oh, God" then you are exempt from that week's service.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
But, if you create something silly lookin', it's gonna be mocked, no matter what it is.

Silly lookin' is as silly lookin' does, sir.....matter of personal choice...no one gets to decide for all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Silly lookin' is as silly lookin' does, sir.....matter of personal choice...no one gets to decide for all.
Thank you for making my point. You can point at the charred skeletal remains of Touchdown Jesus as a glaring example of silly lookin' is as silly lookin' does. Some don't think it's silly lookin', but some do. Both are equally valid opinions, however. Like you said, it's a matter of personal choice.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I'm gonna start a new religion. A cosmic zombie turtle who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat the fruit of a magical tree. He will impregnate a woman with himself as her child so that he can be born as himself, and once alive he will sacrifice himself to himself to save you from the original sin he and that dаmned snake condemned you to. You will have to go to church on a weekly basis for worship, however if you spent most of the previous night laying in bed screaming, "Oh, God" then you are exempt from that week's service.

TURTLE WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THESE CRAZY THINGS??
A TALKING SNAKE ON A MAGICAL TREE, CHILD CONCEIVED FROM A INVISIBLE FORCE. WAIT, I KNOW YOU GOT YOUR IDEA'S FROM STARWARS, TURTLE YOU WATCH TO MUCH TV:rolleyes:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in a state that has several large flammable statue things. 2 Paul Bunyan, 3 Babe The Blue Ox, several Walleye and of course the giant eel pout statue. I've seen them all, even the world's largest twine ball. I have never stopped to worship at the alter of these freak icons. To me, these are just another roadside attraction to lure people in to be separated from their money.

I had always placed the Touchdown Jesus statue in the same category as giant lumberjacks and fish statues until I read this thread and discovered another name for Touchdown Jesus; Big Butter Jesus.

Big Butter. I like butter. Lena likes butter better than Ole. Most Minnesotans like butter and even worship the stuff. Every year the Dairy Association or maybe its the Milk Producers Association; anyway, a bunch of people involved with cows and money choose a virginal type young woman to be Princess Kay Of The Milky Way (Whey) for 1 year.

One of the perks of being Princess Kay Of The Milky Way (Whey) is her bust; well mostly it's her head, neck and top of her shoulders, that are sculpted in butter. This butterhead is then put on display in a refrigerated case at the State Fair for all to come and worship. Oh Golden Goddess please kiss my corn-on-the-cob and shed a tear or two upon my popcorn and baked potato.

th_135px-MNStateFairButterHead2005.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just because Christianity is involved (even though I didn't mention it) doesn't mean it's disrespectful. It never ceases to amaze me how... never mind.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Just because Christianity is involved (even though I didn't mention it) doesn't mean it's disrespectful. It never ceases to amaze me how... never mind.

I could care less if you liked the big Jesus statue. Your story about the new religion was mocking, and disrespectful, and you know it.

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I could care less if you liked the big Jesus statue. Your story about the new religion was mocking, and disrespectful, and you know it.
And it was also funny, and you know it. Nothing, not even religion, is so sacred that it can't be made fun of.

But, why is it that you can call me and my new religion disrespectful, yet I can't make fun of yours?

I had quite the little reply typed up, but I deleted it in favor of once again trying to bow out of this gracefully and without saying something that you're going to take personal offense to. If that's not good enough, just say the word and we're done.

Number28

Seasoned Expediter
Carlin said it best all religion comes down to my god has a bigger (you know what) than your god. I have the tee shirt too.

Why do religious zealots feel the need to defend the Almighty anyway? If he is Almighty, I would suppose he can fight his own battles.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
why do religious zealots feel the need to defend the almighty anyway? If he is almighty, i would suppose he can fight his own battles.

couldn't of said it better myself!!

Why would anyone get offended about what was said about there idol. I thought that the bond was between man "the individual" and god / jesus personally. Who cares what people say or think. Your personal testament to your idol should be enough for you and him / it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Carlin said it best all religion comes down to my god has a bigger (you know what) than your god. I have the tee shirt too.

Why do religious zealots feel the need to defend the Almighty anyway? If he is Almighty, I would suppose he can fight his own battles.

Number 28..

I guess it's because He's done so much for me, and brought me so far from the man I used to be. Zealot? Dunno.... extremely grateful... yes. I usually stay out of these conversations, but today I couldnt.

Not perfect, no way. But I know I used to be an angry, bitter man who hurt people just because I didnt like the way they looked at me. Someone who almost lost his family, and wanted to end his own life. God took that away, saved my relationship, my life, and gave me peace. Therefore, I tend to be a tad bit grateful, and a bit defensive when others suggest he doesnt exist. As the song says, I know He lives, i talked to Him this morning.

Does that make me a zealot? If so, then guilty... i just call it grateful, and on a better path.

Turtle, thanks for trying to end it gracefully. You know I dont usually jump in.

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Except for the last sentence, which part was disrespectful? I mean, substitute "omnipotent being" for "cosmic turtle" and you've got a pretty fair description of the Christian religion, right? The last sentence was Turtle being Turtle - unable to resist getting a joke in there, even at the risk of offending someone.:eek:
If you want to believe in something without an iota of proof that it actually exists, how can you fault anyone for being skeptical, to say the least?
Touchdown Jesus made a great target for mockery, being so over the top in self promotion that it just begged to be ridiculed.
When folks start ridiculing genuine efforts to do good unto others, then you SHOULD speak out - but I can't see TJ as anything but conspicuous self promotion, and tacky at that.
It's like the difference between those who can well afford to pay big bucks for charity, but only do so when they get something in return, [ie an upscale dinner, exclusive preview of an arts event, golf tournament/game, etc] versus those who donate money they can hardly afford, or even better, their time, to charity. The former don't deserve a pat on the back, [but often get their picture in the newspaper, with praise] while the latter deserve it [and rarely get it].
There's genuine goodness, and then there's hypocrisy, and the latter just rubs me the wrong way.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess it is in how you look at it. You can hand out charity, which for the most part does little LONG TERM good, OR, you can hire someone to work. Like those who made that "touchdown" statue. They at least EARNED a wage doing that.

Which is better for man? A hand out or a job? It matters not if you liked it or not, they EARNED when they did that. Far better than sitting on their butt taking handouts. I would ALWAYS prefer to see people work than support bums. Legal work has HONOR. Hiring someone to do that kind of work, in my opinion, is FAR better than passing out handouts.

Number28

Seasoned Expediter
Uhhh they are a church ya know. By handouts you mean like the soup kitchens, clothes drives and such that help the poor? Yes far better to build a gawdy (get it) statue than to help the poor in their community.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Uhhh they are a church ya know. By handouts you mean like the soup kitchens, clothes drives and such that help the poor? Yes far better to build a gawdy (get it) statue than to help the poor in their community.

When I was involved in church charities we did both at the same time. It does little good to give handouts and strip man of his dignity. It does far more good to hold a hand out and assist man in standing on his own two feet. Yes, HIRING someone to work IS better than a handout. Gawdy or not does not matter. Legal work has HONOR and DIGNITY.