Tire advice for vans

guido4475

Not a Member
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting The Enemy and Jenny over here and noticed they had new Michelin tires on their van, until he informed me they had 90,000 miles on them.They had unbelieveable tread depth and were wearing nice and flat across.Does anybody else have this kind of luck with them?From whatI have noticed,it seems like the Sprinters actually get more mileage out of tires than Fords or Chevys.I currently have Firestone Transforce a/t on my van and love them, and have 86,000 on them, but are getting close to replacement.I run anywhere form 65-70 and rotate and balance usually once a month and have the alignment done at time of tire purchase.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sprinter, Michelin. Rotate roughly every 50,000 miles. I could get 150,000 or more out of them, but I'm a tread junkie, want at least 6/32 everywhere, and will absolutely replace all of them if one gets to 4/32 anywhere. So, I've replaced them at 120,000 to 130,000.

I've got 78,000 miles on the AT/2's that I have now, and still have slightly over 50% tread depth left, so I dunno. These might last a bit longer than the A/S and M/S tires I've used before.

guido4475

Not a Member
I wonder if it is a difference in tread compound.(harder,vs softer)These Firestones are awesome in the rain and snow.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run Firestone Transforce and get 120,000 miles or more from them. 70 psi front, 80 psi rear.

guido4475

Not a Member
OVM just accused me of doing too many burnouts in the parking lots, and I told him I only did that once with my overpowered american slop-bucket !! lol. He is having e.o. withdrawl right now because he is driving...Poor guy !!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I alo run the Firestone Transforce, but they are the HT's not the AT's. Right now they have 90,100 miles and they are in no way ready to be replaced....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kind of van are you driving? Average speed?Just wondering.
2004 Chevy 3500 extended with Transforce H/T tires. I usually cruise at 63 mph. I rotate the tires once, maybe twice per life span.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Michelins are $200 tires. My total bill for four was $818.

If you look at tires as merely a consumable, a commodity bought and consumed, used up and discarded, and not an asset to be managed to get the most of your investment, the only think that matters most is how many miles you get on them, then there are certainly cheaper tires to be had.

I view tires (and batteries) as an asset, same as the van. So, you manage your tires the same as any asset by looking at ways to maximize your investment. To maximize the investment in tires you have to look at characteristics of tires dealing with more than just treadwear, things like safety related items such as rated stopping distance, handling in various conditions, tread design for dispersing water, sidewall strength.

You have to look at these factors not only for tires when they are new, but the same characteristics when the treadwear is 50% or more, over the life of the tire. For example, at 6/32 tread depth, what's the stopping distance rating for a Michelin versus some other brand? Sidewall strength plays a major role, rolling resistance somewhat less, in the stopping distance at low tread depths. But it's important.

But the biggie is rolling resistance, where the decreased rolling resistance of Michelin tires compared to other, cheaper tires, yields considerable savings in fuel economy over the life of the tire, and ends up paying way more than the increased cost. But you also have to take proper care of them, keep them properly inflated (nitrogen is the key there), as you would any asset.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
'06 Sprinter, Michelin LTX M+S were the last set - replaced the rears with 148,000 miles on them, moving the fronts to rear, and put on a new pair of LTX AT/2's (on the front)

The last fronts (that are now on the rear) currently have 160,000 miles on them, and are still well above minimum tread depth - probably get another 10K miles on them before I put the other two AT/2's on the rear.

I am not a tread depth junkie - squeeze 'em for all ya can is what I say (the fact that it's summer makes doing so a little easier)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the fact it is summer means you are running a grooved slick in rain. same with gravle in the intersecionsn. i do not like the front end sliding when the tread cannot fight pea gravel. running them to the last nnnth of life is unsafe. never liked the michelins i had on my jetta back when and they were low on tread. lot to be said for a smooth comfortable ride of full depth tires. got a whooping 20k on the hankooks and they are wearing fine.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
the fact it is summer means you are running a grooved slick in rain. same with gravle in the intersecionsn.
Heheheh .... "grooved slicks" eh ?

.... isn't that called ...... "a tire" ? :rolleyes:

Which of the following words from my post didn't you understand ?:

1. well

2. above

3. minimum

4. tread

5. depth

(more than a single choice is allowed)

i do not like the front end sliding when the tread cannot fight pea gravel.
Yeeaah .... well ...... I think that's why I put the new ones up front and moved the old fronts to the rear .....

running them to the last nnnth of life is unsafe.
So at what tread depth does "Jack The Tire Expert" mandate replacement ?

.... interesting ..... lessee if I understand this correctly: the DOT has formulated and adopted an unsafe tire minimum tread depth standard - by allowing minimum tread depths of 4/32nds on the front and 2/32nds on the rear ?

Hmmm .... might hafta give Joanie a call over at Public Citizen and let her know of this recent discovery .....

never liked the michelins i had on my jetta back when and they were low on tread.
Newsflash: I ain't drivin' a Jetta .....

lot to be said for a smooth comfortable ride of full depth tires.
Well Jack, being the man of means that you are, I think that you just oughta replace them Hand-kooks every other month .... that way you'll always be assured of "full depth" .....

got a whooping 20k on the hankooks and they are wearing fine.
Wearing ? ...... sounds like they are no longer "full depth" ..... ya better order up and stick a new set on there real quick now ..... :rolleyes:

.... we now return to your regularly scheduled, normally retarded EO programming .....

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting The Enemy and Jenny over here and noticed they had new Michelin tires on their van, until he informed me they had 90,000 miles on them.They had unbelieveable tread depth and were wearing nice and flat across.Does anybody else have this kind of luck with them?From whatI have noticed,it seems like the Sprinters actually get more mileage out of tires than Fords or Chevys.I currently have Firestone Transforce a/t on my van and love them, and have 86,000 on them, but are getting close to replacement.I run anywhere form 65-70 and rotate and balance usually once a month and have the alignment done at time of tire purchase.

Hey Guido... I think you and I drive the same model of Ford van. 2003 E350 with 7.3 Powerstroke engine. The 7.3L is a very large and heavy engine. This heavy engine exerts too much stress on front-end components such as suspension and affects tire wear. Having owned four of these 7.3L vans, I find it difficult to keep front-end alignment within proper specs. Invariably, mechanics tell me it is the heavy engine causing tire problems. This is the trade-off we endure for going with the reliable, rugged 7.3L... I don't mind buying tires more often in exchange for engine longevity. There are always trade-offs.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran the Good Year Wranglers that came with my E350 from the factory. I got from 160k to 200k out of them. I rotated every 40 or 50k. It has the Powerstroke and I had no problem with it staying aligned. I think maybe 3 alignments total. It's a '99, currently about 975k miles.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I ran the Good Year Wranglers that came with my E350 from the factory. I got from 160k to 200k out of them. I rotated every 40 or 50k. It has the Powerstroke and I had no problem with it staying aligned. I think maybe 3 alignments total. It's a '99, currently about 975k miles.

Highway Star... your luck with alignments have been better than mine. My 1998 E350 seemed difficult to maintain with regard to alignment. My 2001 was somewhat better and the 2003's are better yet. Perhaps I need to take my trucks to a different shop and hope for improved results. Typically, I buy new tires around every 100,000 miles. Of course, I might get better results by upgrading to a higher quality tire.