The Trump Card...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Someone has to build and fix the robots.o_O
True, but just saying that these companies lie all the time about their employment expectations, until they get their government tax break.

Example, Martinsburg WV when we lived their 5 years ago, Macy's built a million square foot distribution center. The papers ate it up, the politicians cut the ribbons, they got tax abatement, tax deferal, sales tax relief, no property tax, and so on. The promise 2000+ full time permanent jobs, which ended up being 700 regular jobs with a Christmas seasonal high of 1200.

Not saying I don't welcome the plant, just saying I an not a believer in big company promises.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Someone has to build and fix the robots.o_O
True, but just saying that these companies lie all the time about their employment expectations, until they get their government tax break.

Example, Martinsburg WV when we lived their 5 years ago, Macy's built a million square foot distribution center. The papers ate it up, the politicians cut the ribbons, they got tax abatement, tax deferal, sales tax relief, no property tax, and so on. The promise 2000+ full time permanent jobs, which ended up being 700 regular jobs with a Christmas seasonal high of 1200.

Not saying I don't welcome the plant, just saying I an not a believer in big company promises.

Understand. Some work out and some don't. I think it really evolves into working with what you got.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
now when companies announce these "new Job" numbers are they all inclusive?...Like the spin off jobs as well?..like 4,000 is a huge number considering the robotics this plant will have...hell the older plants never had 4,000...

Reactions: davekc

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Maybe but so what? What real difference does it make if the MSM or left is happy or not?
It influences the narrative they choose to present, as it vindicates their demonizing of Bannon. They've been going after the people surrounding Trump, one by one, to try and chip away at Trump.
They'll focus on getting Sessions out of their again now.
Check that. Sebastian Gorka

image.gif

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, no! Two California Democratic House reps introduced a spending bill amendment to defund the salaries of Gorka and Miller. Now they're gonna have to rewrite the whole bill.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, no! Two California Democratic House reps introduced a spending bill amendment to defund the salaries of Gorka and Miller. Now they're gonna have to rewrite the whole bill.
If it doesn't fly in Congress they can always sponsor it at the state level as California Proposition 2,328. As California goes, so does America.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
b65d9897325affdcd95f915fcbc211b7.jpg

No - they're not done yet, and they're not satisfied with only Civil War monuments as their targets. There are butt-stupid social justice warriors among us and they like to break things for fun.

Apparently social justice vandals are decapitating Revolutionary War statues now

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

No - they're not done yet, and they're not satisfied with only Civil War monuments as their targets. There are butt-stupid social justice warriors among us and they like to break things for fun.

Apparently social justice vandals are decapitating Revolutionary War statues now
One statue vandalized by some crazy jerk hardly quantifies as a movement against "Revolutionary War statues".

Smh

muttly

Veteran Expediter

One statue vandalized by some crazy jerk hardly quantifies as a movement against "Revolutionary War statues".

Smh
True, but it does make you wonder how far the dismantling of historical monuments will go.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Smh
True, but it does make you wonder how far the dismantling of historical monuments will go.
That's the point - where does it end? PC city officials in various cities around the country are having "offensive" statues removed, and now we hear that a traditionally Catholic school in (where else) California is removing potentially offensive statues of Mary and the baby Jesus among others, in order not to alienate children of other faiths. Naturally, all schools - from kindergarten through college- must now make children feel welcome and included.

California Catholic school under fire for removing and relocating 'alienating' religious statues

Reactions: muttly and Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and now we hear that a traditionally Catholic school in (where else) California is removing potentially offensive statues of Mary and the baby Jesus among others, in order not to alienate children of other faiths.

These statues have no business in a public school.
Naturally, all schools - from kindergarten through college- must now make children feel welcome.
As they should.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm making an assumption it's a public school. Why else would children of other faiths be there?
San Domenico is, in fact, a private Catholic boarding school where students live on campus, except for the relatively local students who live on campus Mon-Fri and go home in the weekends. Most (not all, but most) private Catholic schools accept non-Catholic students. Even the University of Notre Dame accepts non-Catholic students (still gotta take 2 semesters of Theology classes, tho).

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm making an assumption it's a public school. Why else would children of other faiths be there?
San Domenico is, in fact, a private Catholic boarding school where students live on campus, except for the relatively local students who live on campus Mon-Fri and go home in the weekends. Most (not all, but most) private Catholic schools accept non-Catholic students. Even the University of Notre Dame accepts non-Catholic students (still gotta take 2 semesters of Theology classes, tho).
I would like to think a non Christian enrolled in a private Catholic school, would expect to see a statue or two of Mary and the baby Jesus. I don't understand why this school would voluntarily remove these statues.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't understand why this school would voluntarily remove these statues.
I'm gonna teeter out on a limb and say money might be a factor. But still...

That's like going to The Ohio State University and being shocked that the institution worships a poisonous chestnut.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This silly business will never end. A couple of years ago a movement started in Minneapolis to rename one of the city's lakes. Lake Calhoun was named after John Calhoun of South Carolina. He was the 7th U.S. Vice President, a Senator and Secretary of State. In 1957, a Senate Committee headed by Senator John F. Kennedy selected Calhoun as one of the five greatest United States Senators of all time. Oh yeah, he was also a defender of slavery. Ooops!