The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup ... 'Murricans have a soft spot for carnival barkers ...
Do they? I've never heard that. I'm genuinely interested in any contemporaneous or historical references where 'Murricans have a soft spot for carnival barkers, so that I may learn more about this aspect of 'Murricans. I mean, I know that most politicians since the 50s have at one time or another been referred to as carnival barkers, including Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Barak Obama and Ronald Reagan, but I don't know that 'Murricans have demonstrated a particular soft spot for carnival barkers in that context. I'm curious.
oo bad you don't get the local Ohio tv news coverage.

Among the protestors in Cleveland were a number of moderate Republicans who had come out.

One guy (white, clean-cut) that was interviewed had his two kids with him ... said that Trump stood as an example of everything that he was trying to teach his kids not to be or do. Similar reactions from others.
Yeah, the media, at least initially, tried to spin the protesters as just a group of students, and some concerned Democrats, and and some disgruntled Republicans ... who somehow all got cobbled together in a spontaneous protest against the demonic Donald Trump, The Most Malevolent Man Of All Mankind.

Chicago? Protest? Happenstance? Spontaneous? Shyeah, right.
That protest had all the spontaneity of a Sheldon Cooper bowel movement.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Twitter, Your New Go-To Source for Blog News

New York Times - Trump Supporter- Who Made Nazi Salute Explains Why She Made the Gesture

Original story from the Chicago Tribune, the source of the picture:
Birgitt Peterson Trump Rally
My point was simply that Junior forwarded and contributed to a falsehood - by mis-indentifying the party in question with someone else who wasn't her.

Kinda similar to how his Daddy recently claimed some guy was associated with ISIS when there was really no evidence to support that ... other than some doctored video that was apparently a hoax.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First... If you're gonna get all riled up about something, it might as well be about the truth, right? The Trump supporter did NOT say that if he's sees the guy again he's going to kill him (which is a specific threat, and a felony)...

But what he says is, "The next time we see him we might have to kill him, we don't know who he is, he might be with a terrorist organization. ISIS? I don't know."

So, "The next time we see him we might have to kill him [becasue] we don't know who he is, he might be with a terrorist organization," is a VERY different statement from "If I see the guy again I'm going to kill him."
Amazing how a just a little bit of editing supports a biased "news report". Watching Fox News Sunday just this morning and during Chris Wallace's interview with Trump this same audio/video was played and stopped at "him". Unfortunately, Trump didn't call them out for taking the quote out of context and editing the video to suit their agenda to label him as the instigator of the violence.
Twitter, Your New Go-To Source for Blog News

New York Times - Trump Supporter- Who Made Nazi Salute Explains Why She Made the Gesture

Original story from the Chicago Tribune, the source of the picture:
Birgitt Peterson Trump Rally
We're coming to the point where the supporters of Trump - and possibly other candidates - will begin to question their safety if they attend a political rally. Of course this is exactly what the anarchists want. But the next step will be people questioning their safety if they wear a Trump T-shirt in public and fear for their property if they put a Trump sign in their yard or a Trump bumper sticker on their car. Isolated cases of vandalism on property were reported in TN during the last election for supporters of Obama and Romney alike, and the vitriol during that election was nothing compared to what's developing now.

Next, imagine coming out of your local Kroger with a bag of groceries and wearing a Trump baseball cap; a diverse group of "students" accosts you shouting obscenities and yanks off your hat. You make it to your car only to discover the Trump bumper sticker has been torn off and your doors have been keyed. Who you gonna call?

One last thought: the other Republican candidates are making a big mistake by not vehemently denouncing the violence being perpetrated against Trump by these organized liberal groups. They seem to be unaware that their rallies could be the next targets if they happen to say something someone doesn't like.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
:WEST MONONA SPARTANS Iowa State Championship!!!.jpg

DONT MAKE ME ANGRY YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN I AM ANGRY ! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE POLITICIANS AND THE SUITES BEHIND THE DESKS. YOUR DONE. ONE THING IS FOR SURE THIS ECONOMY NEEDS TURNED AROUND AND THE STINKING SUITES NEED REPLACED.

MAKING NEW RULES AND KICKING THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD IS BS.. I SAY NO MORE. TURN THINGS AROUND NOW!!!!!!!!!! WE ALL HAVE SUFFERED ENOUGH! EXCUSES AND AUTOMATION IS BS! GET US WORKING NOW AND NOT NEXT YEAR!!! THE ONLY REASON THE ECONOMY IS SLUGISH IS BECAUSE OF COMPANY SUITES & WALL STREETS INCLUDED!!!

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Although I am not a Trump supporter, his candidacy is fascinating to watch as it unfolds. trump's run for the presidency has some unique attributes: he's a multi billionaire, he's brash, he's a gifted public speaker, he doesn't give a hoot what his opponents think of him, he totally dominates every public event, he knows his audience, he leads his audience, he doesn't back down. He projects strength. Donald Trump is a much, much better politician than anyone expected. Up to now, this man is beating The Machine.

Reactions: iceroadtrucker

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My point was simply that Junior forwarded and contributed to a falsehood - by mis-indentifying the party in question with someone else who wasn't her.
And it surprises you that someone could do such a thing on Twitter?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Amazing how a just a little bit of editing supports a biased "news report". Watching Fox News Sunday just this morning and during Chris Wallace's interview with Trump this same audio/video was played and stopped at "him".
And virtually all news organizations do it, some more subtly than others. Just the picking and choosing of what to report can be evidence of that.

Unfortunately, Trump didn't call them out for taking the quote out of context and editing the video to suit their agenda to label him as the instigator of the violence.
I've only seen the one instance of the video where it was played to the end. Every other instance online that I have found either cuts the audio and/or video after "him," or it drowned out by a voiceover who describes it for us.

One last thought: the other Republican candidates are making a big mistake by not vehemently denouncing the violence being perpetrated against Trump by these organized liberal groups. They seem to be unaware that their rallies could be the next targets if they happen to say something someone doesn't like.
Initially, at least, Rubio was the only one to approach the denunciation of the protesters' violence as being where the blame lies. I haven't heard or read anything he's said since then, so he may have changed his tune someone, depending on the orders from above. But I gotta give him props for that. Cruz successfully dodged it, but Bernie, Hillary and Kasich all went straight for Trump. I agree with you that not putting the blame squarely where it belong could come back to haunt them.

But this is all just a symptom of a nastiness that's been a long time coming, with the nasty rhetoric of candidates and Bloggers, radio personalties, and blatantly partisan "news" outlet pundits like MSNBC and Fox. Regular people are picking it up and running with it. This goes way back to before Palin had her rifle-scope targets on the candidates that needed to be taken out. I noted then that it would get worse before it gets better, and it has. I'm not sure we've seen the worst, yet, either. Throw in the other factors of claiming victimhood over every little thing (real or imagined) and people are looking to blame someone and start a fight.

But the next step will be people questioning their safety if they wear a Trump T-shirt in public and fear for their property if they put a Trump sign in their yard or a Trump bumper sticker on their car.
Funny you should mention that.
Trump yard sign inspires armed standoff that ends in arrest of 3 ‘Hispanic males’

Same story, but with better pictures:
Men 'destroyed Trump supporter's campaign sign and pulled gun on him'

Local Fox 5 News story with video! (that ends with another story about a Trump supporter's house being vandalized, and the arrest of John McGraw for cold cocking Mr Jones).
Police: Trump sign leads to standoff, arrests in Dalton

muttly

Veteran Expediter
The photographer is saying he didn't write the caption and it didn't appear in print in his paper. He said someone from Dispatch Alerts wrote it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The photographer is saying he didn't write the caption and it didn't appear in print in his paper. He said someone from Dispatch Alerts wrote it.
Headlines are usually written by an editor instead of the reporter, and photo captions are usually written by a caption writer/editor, not the photographer. Reporters and photographers love this aspect of the news business the mostest. :D

DispatchAlerts is the Columbus Dispatch (where the picture above is from), not the St Louis Post-Dispatch, which is who the photographer works for. But the Columbus Dispatch was sold to Gatehouse Media last year and they publish about 100 dailies and about 200 weeklies. Gatehouse Media, much like FedEx and its Memphis hub, has a massive publishing design hub in Austin, TX (delivered there once - it's awesome) where they aggregate articles from many news sources for distribution to the Gatehouse family of newsprint, in addition to doing design and layout for most of the major daily newspapers. Instead of each individual newspaper having to get permission to publish and to source credit, Gatehouse does it once and then fires off the article to its newsprint properties and clients. That method is also supposed to, ironically, reduces errors. :D

Despite their assurances that their award winning teams who creates award sinning pages "offers numerous levels of editing and proofing, ensuring your readers are delivered a beautiful and accurate product," somebody didn't proof close enough and it was probably just a brain-fart error on somebody's part, and not an intentional bias.

But anywhere Gatehouse sent the captioned picture, it got published just like you see it there.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Yep, the photographer (David Carson)is getting hammered pretty good on social media (no surprise:rolleyes:)about this because people saw his name on the bottom of the picture and thought he wrote the caption. He even contacted the public affairs editor at the Columbus Dispatch to find out what's up? Correct, it originated in Austin.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The GOP is in the process of either a major evolution, or just blowing up completely. And it doesn't matter either way if Trump has the necessary delegates to secure the nomination on the first vote. If Trump doesn't, then it'll certainly be more fun to watch.

One scenario not mentioned in the article, because the author probably can't fathom it (he's a hard core GOP establishment guy) is that Trump doesn't have the required number of delegates on the first vote, and the delegates who are freed for the second vote will vote for Trump instead of Trump losing all of those freed delegates. That would be a hoot.