The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep, the photographer (David Carson)is getting hammered pretty good on social media (no surprise:rolleyes:)about this because people saw his name on the bottom of the picture and thought he wrote the caption. He even contacted the public affairs editor at the Columbus Dispatch to find out what's up? Correct, it originated in Austin.
Did you know the Cincinnati Enquirer no longer prints it's publications (the Enquirer and a couple dozen other weekly community newspapers) in Cincinnati? They close their printing facility and everything gets printed at the Columbus Dispatch facility in Columbus. And isn't that sad. The Enquirer is a Gannett Co. newspaper (USA Today, The Tennessean, The Louisville Courier-Journal, Detroit Free Press, bunch of others), but it's layout and design are done at the Gatehouse Media Center in Austin, and then printed in Columbus. And isn't that sad.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The GOP is in the process of either a major evolution, or just blowing up completely. And it doesn't matter either way if Trump has the necessary delegates to secure the nomination on the first vote. If Trump doesn't, then it'll certainly be more fun to watch.

One scenario not mentioned in the article, because the author probably can't fathom it (he's a hard core GOP establishment guy) is that Trump doesn't have the required number of delegates on the first vote, and the delegates who are freed for the second vote will vote for Trump instead of Trump losing all of those freed delegates. That would be a hoot.
I'm sure the author can probably fathom it - but given his own personal experience in the practical realities of PROCESS in party politics - which is rather extensive - knows that it is a fairly unlikely scenario.

Unless Trump changes what he has been doing - in terms organizing at state/local level - the future doesn't bode particularly well for him.

How Trump let himself get out-organized

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Off topic. Personal Attack.
Ah, 'Murrica, where liberals rejoice and pat themselves on the back in silencing the speech of anyone who they disagree with.
Do only only liberals do that? KKK for one example has been doing that same thing for decades and their conservatives. You must be so proud. Besides, it sounds more fun then hiding in a van all day with a lap top. But what the hell do I know.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ah, 'Murrica, where liberals rejoice and pat themselves on the back in silencing the speech of anyone who they disagree with.
Trump's choice as to whether he speaks or not ...

He could have showed up and exercised his right to speak and confront his opponents ... instead he chose not to.

Shows his words (Nu Yawk false bravado trash talk) differ substantially from his actions.

He is largely just a bully and a coward ... IMO of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheri1122

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

He could have showed up and exercised his right to speak and confront his opponents ... instead he chose not to.

Shows his words (Nu Yawk false bravado) differ substantially from his actions.
Do you not read the articles to which you link? They weren't going to allow it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Do you not read the articles to which you link? They weren't going to allow it.
And this is the guy that's going to handle ISIS and our borders ?

LOL ...

How would they have stopped it?

It's Trump's prerogative to have disrupters removed, assuming he has a claim on the venue.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Shows his words (Nu Yawk false bravado trash talk) differ substantially from his actions.

He is largely just a bully and a coward ... IMO of course.
His choice was to show up and speak therefore endangering people in the audience because of the instigators' presence or decline and prevent mayhem. Not much of a choice.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do only only liberals do that? KKK for one example has been doing that same thing for decades and their conservatives.
The KKK is a VERY SMALL fringe group of somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 members spread out across the country, and is not at all like the conservatives of the Republican party.

You must be so proud. Besides, it sounds more fun then hiding in a van all day with a lap top.
I can't think of a single reason for such a childish personal attack in a discussion that's not about me at all. Why would you do such a childish thing? (No need to answer. It's rhetorical.)

YOU really need to learn how to stay on-topic and discuss the issues and learn the ability to craft a reply without using the word "YOU" so as to not hijack the thread to to make it about about whomever YOU is. YOU have been warned at least twice for the same thing and were told what would happen if YOU do it again. It's clear YOU do not have the ability to intelligently discuss the issues and will quickly run out of things to parrot, and when that happens YOU have nothing left other than childish, personal attacks,

But what the hell do I know.
Well, you know this...

17. The Soapbox Forum
The Soapbox contains topics which engender strong opinions and passions, therefore the Code of Conduct rules are often less rigidly enforced, so as to allow a more free and relaxed discussion. However, insults directly or indirectly towards individuals or entire groups (religious, political or otherwise) will not be tolerated. Responses must be on-topic and not directed at the individual (respond to the post, not the poster).

And you know that because of your history of warning for off-topic personal attacks that you've lost your ability to post things in the Soapbox indefinitely, and everywhere else in the forums for 21 days.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah ... that's what's known as a false dichotomy ...
What would you have done if you were faced with the same situation. Or perhaps better asked, what would you have advised Trump or any other candidate in the same situation?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What would you have done if you were faced with the same situation. Or perhaps better asked, what would you have advised Trump or any other candidate in the same situation?
Grow a real pair

Seriously though, I think the reason Trump nixed it wasn't because he was concerned about anyone's safety but rather the optics of some of his supporters coming unglued and it being captured on video ... and him being there when it happened.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Grow a real pair

Seriously though, I think the reason Trump nixed it wasn't because he was concerned about anyone's safety but rather the optics of some of his supporters coming unglued and it being captured on video ... and him being there when it happened.
That's a little confusing. The "Seriously, though," indicates that the answer of "Grow a real pair" is not one to be taken seriously, but the rest of what you wrote seems to be an answer to a question that was never asked.

You classified the options of 'speaking or not speaking at the rally' as a false dichotomy, which indicates there are other, possibly better, alternatives to those two. I'm asking you what is the alternative possibility that you would advise a candidate faced with the same situation?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...fear for their property if they put a Trump sign in their yard or a Trump bumper sticker on their car.
Funny you should mention that.
Trump yard sign inspires armed standoff that ends in arrest of 3 ‘Hispanic males’

Same story, but with better pictures:
Men 'destroyed Trump supporter's campaign sign and pulled gun on him'

Local Fox 5 News story with video! (that ends with another story about a Trump supporter's house being vandalized, and the arrest of John McGraw for cold cocking Mr Jones).
Police: Trump sign leads to standoff, arrests in Dalton
Trump signs are not the only ones being vandalized.
Bernie.jpg

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's a little confusing. The "Seriously, though," indicates that the answer of "Grow a real pair" is not one to be taken seriously, but the rest of what you wrote seems to be an answer to a question that was never asked.

You classified the options of 'speaking or not speaking at the rally' as a false dichotomy, which indicates there are other, possibly better, alternatives to those two. I'm asking you what is the alternative possibility that you would advise a candidate faced with the same situation?
Too much computin' going on there ...

I answered the question - sans the (inaccurate) restatement or characterization so graciously provided above

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I answered the question - sans the (inaccurate) restatement or characterization so graciously provided above

Out of the people currently running, who are you supporting? If any.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Out of the people currently running, who are you supporting? If any.
Currently none ...

But if you were to ask me, which out of the current candidates I think have the most personal integrity - regardless of whether I agree with their politics or not - I'd have to say Kasich and Saunders seem to be the front-runners in that respect.

I think I may have commented previously that I think Kasich is probably a fairly decent guy, although not entirely without some issues/baggage (worked for Lehman Brothers, comes out of the mold where being a busybody in foreign policy isn't entirely out of the question)

The guy was the Chairman of the House Budget Committee in '97 and the chief architect of the deal that balanced the Federal Budget for the first time since 1969. Also the architect of welfare reform that Clinton signed into law.

Add to the above Kasich's record as Ohio Governor, bringing Ohio's budget from a ($8 billion) deficit to a ($2 billion) surplus and you'd think with all the whining and moaning some do about out-of-control federal spending, they'd be on this guy - the one with a proven track record in government doing what they claim is important - like dogs on bones.

Throw in the fact that he has the ability to attract independents and fiscally-conservative Democrats (assuming any still exist) and he would seem to be just what the doctor ordered.

But noooo ... they go for the carnival barker or the Canadian televangelist instead.

It's "feel-good" (until it doesn't, of course) - rather than pragmatic - politics ....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Well, the question was pretty simple, what advice would you give to any candidate faced with the same situation, and you answered the question by giving your opinion on why Trump nixed it. That's not really advice and doesn't answer the question, but OK. On the other hand, if "Grow a pair" was your actual answer, then I think it's ironic that such advice remained within the constraints of that false dichotomy.