The Tea Party Strikes Again.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everybody needs to get a pair of orthopedic shoes. Then you'll all stand corrected.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I stand corrected...sort of.

Sort of? Looks like 'definitively' to me.

It's rather obvious the subject of this post was primarily about Lindsey Graham's race, but I did make an oblique comment referring to Thad Cochran's opponent as being a "quality conservative", without referring to him by name.

Those two statements are simply wrong - but what difference does that make when trying to put together a little oblique cheap shot?
Those two statements are correct: the subject of the post in which you referred to McDaniels as a "quality conservative" [though not by name, but as the only candidate currently opposing Cochran, it's not exactly a multiple choice thing] is not under dispute - only your support of McDaniels. That makes the subject of said post irrelevant.
There is nothing 'oblique' about that support, either: it's unambiguous, unqualified, and direct.

It sure would, and I'd suggest starting with muttly's link to nit-picking; then look up the proper usage of the word "definitively". Hint: it's an adverb.

Hint: the dictionary is for use when the meaning of a word is unknown, to avoid looking foolish. Correcting someone who uses a word in a way that suggests the opposite of it's meaning is hardly nitpicking, it's simply requiring people to take responsibility for their words.
Your support of McDaniels was neither oblique nor sort of, and the same goes for the correction - both RLENT's and mine.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Irony: citing the dictionary definition of nitpicking to rebuke someone who objects to words being used in the exact opposite of their definition in that same dictionary. :rolleyes:
Check out the definition that describes the word as to Wrangle for a 'donkey's' shadow. Hehe.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I stand corrected...sort of.

Sort of? Looks like 'definitively' to me.

It's rather obvious the subject of this post was primarily about Lindsey Graham's race, but I did make an oblique comment referring to Thad Cochran's opponent as being a "quality conservative", without referring to him by name.

Those two statements are simply wrong - but what difference does that make when trying to put together a little oblique cheap shot?
Those two statements are correct: the subject of the post in which you referred to McDaniels as a "quality conservative" [though not by name, but as the only candidate currently opposing Cochran, it's not exactly a multiple choice thing] is not under dispute - only your support of McDaniels. That makes the subject of said post irrelevant.
There is nothing 'oblique' about that support, either: it's unambiguous, unqualified, and direct.

Hint: the dictionary is for use when the meaning of a word is unknown, to avoid looking foolish. Correcting someone who uses a word in a way that suggests the opposite of it's meaning is hardly nitpicking, it's simply requiring people to take responsibility for their words.
Your support of McDaniels was neither oblique nor sort of, and the same goes for the correction - both RLENT's and mine.
Ad nauseam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia