Teacher fired for giving Bible to student

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My personal opinion is that it does a disservice to kids to shelter them from it. If they believe fine and if they don't fine. But at least they know what it is. Quality parenting can guide a kid through so they can make their own decisions. Same with atheism. A kid knowing what it is and isn't I don't believe is a bad thing.

But who is that teacher to give my child something I do not agree with in a public school setting?? ..can I give your children something you don't agree with?? That is all I am saying

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
But who is that teacher to give my child something I do not agree with in a public school setting?? ..can I give your children something you don't agree with?? That is all I am saying

Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean they shouldn't be educated as to what it is. Taking religion out of it, let take global warming. I don't believe it. Especially after this winter.;) But I have no problem with a kid being taught as to what it is.
How can a kid make his own decisions unless he has been educated to both sides?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean they shouldn't be educated as to what it is. Taking religion out of it, let take global warming. I don't believe it. Especially after this winter.;) But I have no problem with a kid being taught as to what it is.
How can a kid make his own decisions unless he has been educated to both sides?
Big difference between global warming and handing out bibles..get your point...when has religion been okay In a public school...not that I remember..just not the place for it..so does all the religions get there fair crack @ our kids..or is it just Christianity... what about Scientology

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your crazy..really...you never answered.. can I give your kids devil worshiping material??

If my kid asks you a direct question regarding devil worship first, directly related to a globally recognized text on the subject with more copies in print than any other book, then you can give the text to them as you respond.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Big difference between global warming and handing out bibles..get your point...when has religion been okay In a public school...not that I remember..just not the place for it..so does all the religions get there fair crack @ our kids..or is it just Christianity... what about Scientology
Religion has been addressed more after 9/11. All kinds of stuff with the Koran. As for scientology, I don't see a problem with an explanation of what it is.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What are you afraid of if they don't..that is OK too you know...
I come from a long line of non believers... guess what...we all are NOT in jail...we all our productive members of society...and very happy...what else can you ask for?
"you don't have to put your $$ In a basket on Sunday to be a good person "
- MY Grandfather

Being a "GOOD PERSON" just won't get you to heaven. Got to have a bit more than that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Religious texts are worthy of study in order to be fully cognizant of how significant portions of the society around you live their lives, believe what they believe, and the motivations for doing what they do. To ignore it, dismiss it, or be afraid of it is counterintuitive to rational intelligence.

There are MANY reasons to study different religious texts. The ones you state above, those that I mentioned and countless others are reason enough.

It is MORE than possible to study that material WITHOUT preaching or establishing a religion, as you well know.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I cannot imagine no one believing in Hell with Obama as president. Can't imagine not believing in the Devil for that same reason Evil IS real.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Big difference between global warming and handing out bibles..
Not really. They're both the result of religious fervor substantiated only by pure belief and junk science which allows varied, fluid and creative interpretations of events.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I cannot imagine no one believing in Hell with Obama as president. Can't imagine not believing in the Devil for that same reason Evil IS real.

Some would say they are one in the same.

o-SATAN-OBAMA-570.jpg

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Why can we not have a place where kids can learn without any religious influences...
Because The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
where is my right to keep my kid as far away from the Bible as possible... don't believe in it at all..my right...to raise my child as I see fit...not decision to influence my child religiously...there are plenty of religious schools.. go there...what about separation of church and state...
I'm sure I have views and beliefs you would not want me to influence your children with....
In our society, we frequently allow parents to abuse their children, unfortunately.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Because The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
In our society, we frequently allow parents to abuse their children, unfortunately.

I'm not living in fear of anyone A........
I know a lot of very successful people who believe as I do....just living there life being good people..
B..so being an non believer in organized religion is child abuse..did I read that correctly??
That last person in the world I want around my child..dolling out religious views( thank goodness he is 21..and a stout boy..) is amonger

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I know a lot of very successful people who believe as I do....just living there life being good people..
B..so being an non believer in organized religion is child abuse..did I read that correctly??
That last person in the world I want around my child..dolling out religious views( thank goodness he is 21..and a stout boy..) is amonger

So you don't believe in the bible? Just how do you think you came in to existence? There is a creator or higher power and many fail to see that because then they have to try to justify their wrong doings and that's kind of hard to do when you know the big man is watching everything you do.

Believe what you want but just as you believe religion shouldn't be in school because you pay taxes, do you think you are the only one that pays taxes? The way you talk your kid/kids are out of school so why in the hell even worry about it?

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I can understand a person not believing or not wanting to believe but I don't understand why so many get upset over others believing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can understand a person not believing or not wanting to believe but I don't understand why so many get upset over others believing.

Same reason believers have little tolerance for non-believers.