Teacher fired for giving Bible to student

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Doubt it...sounds like a public school...keep religion out of it...I would have a problem with this if it was my child...maybe the parents are atheist??
Hand out text books...keep your beliefs to yourself..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doubt it...sounds like a public school...keep religion out of it...I would have a problem with this if it was my child...maybe the parents are atheist??
Hand out text books...keep your beliefs to yourself..

I don't know the entire story here, BUT, the Bible, the Koran, and many other "holy books", SHOULD be studied in school. They are literary works. Why would learning about therm worry you? Teaching them as the "truth" in a public school may be a problem but just studying them?

What if the kid DID ask about it? Would it do harm for the kid to learn?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I don't know the entire story here, BUT, the Bible, the Koran, and many other "holy books", SHOULD be studied in school. They are literary works. Why would learning about therm worry you? Teaching them as the "truth" in a public school may be a problem but just studying them?

What if the kid DID ask about it? Would it do harm for the kid to learn?

I'll start pushing my views/ beliefs on your kids...want to study holy books..fine..there are religious schools for that.. not public...would not want my kid anywhere near the bible..that's my right at a public school...just keep it to the curriculum..let it be a religious free place that it is supposed to be..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the kid asked, answer his question. Let him read any book.
DO NOT force your religious views on him.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Why don't you want your kid reading a bible ?
Can't they read and make their own decisions ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll start pushing my views/ beliefs on your kids...want to study holy books..fine..there are religious schools for that.. not public...would not want my kid anywhere near the bible..that's my right at a public school...just keep it to the curriculum..let it be a religious free place that it is supposed to be..

I.have to ask why handing someone a book.is pushing views or beliefs on someone. I think that is where the argument often falls short of legitimate. If that person began talking.g personal views or teaching them i can agree. Just handing someone one you lose me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

But you ARE pushing you beliefs. You believe that a book, that you don't believe in or like, should not be read in public schools.

I also have NEVER seen ANYTHING in the Constitution that FORBIDS the reading of Bibles, Korans, or other so called, "holy books", in public schools. Could you point that out for me please?

I have posted the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United State below. It is part of the Bill of Rights. It would seem that reading the Bible, the Koran, or any other "holy book" would be allowed under it and that BANNING the reading of Bibles, the Koran, or any other "holy book" is contrary to the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't of what other part of the Constitution applies more.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Give a kid a Bible or an AR-15. It is a tough call....................

Just not both.

Jesus%2520AR15.jpg

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
But you ARE pushing you beliefs. You believe that a book, that you don't believe in or like, should not be read in public schools.

I also have NEVER seen ANYTHING in the Constitution that FORBIDS the reading of Bibles, Korans, or other so called, "holy books", in public schools. Could you point that out for me please?

I have posted the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United State below. It is part of the Bill of Rights. It would seem that reading the Bible, the Koran, or any other "holy book" would be allowed under it and that BANNING the reading of Bibles, the Koran, or any other "holy book" is contrary to the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't of what other part of the Constitution applies more.

Why can we not have a place where kids can learn without any religious influences...where is my right to keep my kid as far away from the Bible as possible... don't believe in it at all..my right...to raise my child as I see fit...not decision to influence my child religiously...there are plenty of religious schools.. go there...what about separation of church and state...
I'm sure I have views and beliefs you would not want me to influence your children with....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I.have to ask why handing someone a book.is pushing views or beliefs on someone. I think that is where the argument often falls short of legitimate. If that person began talking.g personal views or teaching them i can agree. Just handing someone one you lose me.

You want someone in handing out some kind of devil worship material to your kid...I don't want my child to be given a bible..especially in a public school..I have a problem with that...you don't I do..I don't believe in religions.. and would think 1 spot my child could go with out being influenced is a public school...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why can we not have a place where kids can learn without any religious influences...where is my right to keep my kid as far away from the Bible as possible... don't believe in it at all..my right...to raise my child as I see fit...not decision to influence my child religiously...there are plenty of religious schools.. go there...what about separation of church and state...
I'm sure I have views and beliefs you would not want me to influence your children with....

Show me where in the Constitution that the separation of church and state is mentioned.

You (not you personally) ARE trying to influence my children, when they were in school, with beliefs that I did not like. Like, not being allowed to study the Bible, the Koran or other "holy books". Like when many schools banned shooting sports and teams, like when teachers were teaching that the Bill of Rights was not written for the People or when teachers teach that God could not exist.

Please explain how studying literature will harm your child?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Show me where in the Constitution that the separation of church and state is mentioned.

You (not you personally) ARE trying to influence my children, when they were in school, with beliefs that I did not like. Like, not being allowed to study the Bible, the Koran or other "holy books". Like when many schools banned shooting sports and teams, like when teachers were teaching that the Bill of Rights was not written for the People or when teachers teach that God could not exist.

Please explain how studying literature will harm your child?

I DONT BELIVE IN IT..its all a fairytale in my opinion ...there are us out here that do not want 0 to do with organized religion ...my right ..my child

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Books are education they only influence if the words connect with someone or a teacher tries to influence. It is really no different than banning any other book. Kids are curious they need that fed. I am a true believer you can only try to point the right direction and hope they go that way. Trying to shield them accomplishes nothing. I will agree age does come into play they should be of some age before.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I DONT BELIVE IN IT..its all a fairytale in my opinion ...there are us out here that do not want 0 to do with organized religion ...my right ..my child

So, does that give you the right to stop OTHERS from reading it? Do you honestly believe that IF, in the fullness of time, one of your children chooses to read the Bible, the Koran, or any other "holy book" that you could ever stop them? You don't have as much influence over your children as you may think you do. You MAY even push them towards things you don't like if you are not careful. One could even become a priest or minister someday. They do have the RIGHT you know.

Those who do NOT allow the reading of those books in public schools are just as much in violation of the First Amendment of the Constitution as those who would establish a state approved religion. There is NO difference.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Books are education they only influence if the words connect with someone or a teacher tries to influence. It is really no different than banning any other book. Kids are curious they need that fed. I am a true believer you can only try to point the right direction and hope they go that way. Trying to shield them accomplishes nothing. I will agree age does come into play they should be of some age before.

But why can't we have a religious free zone for kids to learn what they need..they have enough problems..let's leave religion in public schools @ home or @ the church..NOT in our taxpayer funded classroom ....I just have a problem with that...

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im not for teaching it. I simply have no problem with holy books being available in school libraries for say junior high and up.