Teacher fired for giving Bible to student

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Im not for teaching it. I simply have no problem with holy books being available in school libraries for say junior high and up.

Kids often express curiosity about things LONG before junior high age. Just like sex, it's better not for them to learn it in the locker rooms.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
So, does that give you the right to stop OTHERS from reading it? Do you honestly believe that IF, in the fullness of time, one of your children chooses to read the Bible, the Koran, or any other "holy book" that you could ever stop them? You don't have as much influence over your children as you may think you do. You MAY even push them towards things you don't like if you are not careful. One could even become a priest or minister someday. They do have the RIGHT you know.

Those who do NOT allow the reading of those books in public schools are just as much in violation of the First Amendment of the Constitution as those who would establish a state approved religion. There is NO difference.

Trust me!!!!! I grew up with plenty of kids from very religious families.. there always the hell raisers..please...so what you are saying..is if I'm not a religious person I'm a bad person....0 of my family is religious..see there's the problem..you DONT have to be religious to be a good person..
OK let me give your child a book on devil worshipping.. I dont know..something you don't believe in...see if you like it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kids often express curiosity about things LONG before junior high age. Just like sex, it's better not for them to learn it in the locker rooms.

I learned about sex from friends and locker room talk didn't hurt me. I dont think anyway.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Why can't there be a religious free learning environment????? Especially tax payer funded learning environment I might add..where is my right to 0...I repeat 0 religion environment for my child if I wish...and I wish..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I DONT BELIVE IN IT..its all a fairytale in my opinion /QUOTE]
What's your stance on Disney movies?

In a world where 94% of the population believe in a higher power of some kind, it's foolish to pretend that "everyone is out of step but me" to any kind of degree of certainty. We also live in a world steeped in religious values, and it behooves the inhabitants to learn about those values and where they come from, rather than pretending they don't exist at all.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trust me!!!!! I grew up with plenty of kids from very religious families.. there always the hell raisers..please...so what you are saying..is if I'm not a religious person I'm a bad person....0 of my family is religious..see there's the problem..you DONT have to be religious to be a good person..
OK let me give your child a book on devil worshipping.. I dont know..something you don't believe in...see if you like it

Please show me where I said that you were NOT a "good" person because you don't believe in religion? I DID say you were opposed the the First Amendment of the Constitution, part of the Bill of Rights, but that was all.

My kids WERE taught MANY things in public schools that I did not believe in. I had to spend HOURS teaching them the "other side" on many issues. So please don't assume that I don't know about it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why can't there be a religious free learning environment????? Especially tax payer funded learning environment I might add..where is my right to 0...I repeat 0 religion environment for my child if I wish...and I wish..

Well on the other hand where is someone's right for religion in school. If you say there are private schools then they shouldn't have to pay public school taxes. There is really no easy answer. I never hid anything from my daughter and let her make her own choices about most things. As a young adult the choices she has made about life are way ahead of what mine were.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I DONT BELIVE IN IT..its all a fairytale in my opinion /QUOTE]
What's your stance on Disney movies?

In a world where 94% of the population believe in a higher power of some kind, it's foolish to pretend that "everyone is our of step but me" to any kind of degree of certainty. We also live in a world steeped in religious values, and it behooves the inhabitants to learn about those values and where they come from, rather than pretending they don't exist at all.

I find 94% a bit high...believe all you want..want happened to my right not to believe and raise my kids as such... and not have my life influenced by your beliefs ..all I am saying keep the religion out of public school..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find 94% a bit high...believe all you want..want happened to my right not to believe and raise my kids as such... and not have my life influenced by your beliefs ..all I am saying keep the religion out of public school..

What part of THIS are you SO opposed too?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You are NOT required to send you children to public schools, you can home school if you like. I am sure that there are some kind of private schools for atheists, if not, you can start one.

Banning books is NOT a good idea.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Again I dont like organized religion.. find it all very hard to believe..

The "books" have value on their own merit and learning about them has zip to do with "organized" religion. Allowing them to be studied is NOT establishing a religion and NOT allowing them to be studied COULD be taken as an attempt to prevent the free exercise of religion.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The "books" have value on their own merit and learning about them has zip to do with "organized" religion. Allowing them to be studied is NOT establishing a religion and NOT allowing them to be studied COULD be taken as an attempt to prevent the free exercise of religion.

Zip to do with religion???.. its the hand book to religion.. its the go to material...why can't I give your kids something you don't like/approved of...I dont like and or approve .

WHY CANT WE HAVE A RELIGIOUS FREE ( PUBLICLY FUNDED) LEARNING ZONE FOR THE CHILDERN?? let them.learn there math English etc.

YOU are always screaming about having to pay for things you don't agree with.. IE. welfare..abortions...food stamps... condoms..well I don't want my tax $$ to be used to promote something I don't believe in just as you don't believe in paying for planned parenthood..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Zip to do with religion???.. its the hand book to religion.. its the go to material...why can't I give your kids something you don't like/approved of...I dont like and or approve .

WHY CANT WE HAVE A RELIGIOUS FREE ( PUBLICLY FUNDED) LEARNING ZONE FOR THE CHILDERN?? let them.learn there math English etc.

YOU are always screaming about having to pay for things you don't agree with.. IE. welfare..abortions...food stamps... condoms..well I don't want my tax $$ to be used to promote something I don't believe in just as you don't believe in paying for planned parenthood..

Because the Constitution of the United States, the Bill of RIGHTS, says we are allowed too. Banning the Bible, the Koran, or any other 'holy book' is NO different that any other extremist group banning "Huckleberry Fin" or "Tom Sawyer".

I am FORCED to pay for the schools, even though I don't have any children in them. I TOO have an EQUAL say in what is allowed, or not allowed in them.

I am all for doing away with public school, totally.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My wife taught in a Christian School for years.

She is a big supporter of home schooling.

You can't send the kids to public school because of what they may try to force feed them about politics,economics,morals,etc.

If your child would read a bible you as a parent should be discussing this with them.
Or anything else they read for that matter .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What are you afraid may happen to your kid if they got interested in an organized religion ?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The usual hysterical liberal position followed by so many hysterical liberals. I want my way not only for me but you must also adhere to my way. This isn't about an organized class to teach religion. This isn't about an impromptu lecture to a classroom about religion. This is about a private conversation between two people. Even if it took place in the same school attended by a hysterical liberal's kid it's unlikely that kid, one of many hundreds, would be among the half dozen who might overhear. Even if the hysterical liberal's kid did overhear it's unlikely he would pay much, if any, attention. Even if the hysterical liberal's kid did overhear and did pay attention it's not likely to have any lasting effect.

Additionally, there is no "separation of church and state". Observation is not establishment. Study is not establishment. Education is not establishment. It's only by adding to and/or misinterpreting that one can come up with the idea of forbidding all religion, correction, Christianity in schools.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What are you afraid may happen to your kid if they got interested in an organized religion ?

What are you afraid of if they don't..that is OK too you know...
I come from a long line of non believers... guess what...we all are NOT in jail...we all our productive members of society...and very happy...what else can you ask for?
"you don't have to put your $$ In a basket on Sunday to be a good person "
- MY Grandfather

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find 94% a bit high...
So do I, but I choose to believe it because all of the evidence says it's the truth.

Personally, I'm a devout agnostic with strong atheistic tendencies, and well aware that I'm in the very small minority. At the same time, I'm also confident in putting up my knowledge of the Bible up against the most ardent of Bible thumpers. I'm not quite as confident in the Qu'ran, but it's close.

Knowledge is dangerous, but only to those who don't want you to have it.Knowledge is power.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The usual hysterical liberal position followed by so many hysterical liberals. I want my way not only for me but you must also adhere to my way. This isn't about an organized class to teach religion. This isn't about an impromptu lecture to a classroom about religion. This is about a private conversation between two people. Even if it took place in the same school attended by a hysterical liberal's kid it's unlikely that kid, one of many hundreds, would be among the half dozen who might overhear. Even if the hysterical liberal's kid did overhear it's unlikely he would pay much, if any, attention. Even if the hysterical liberal's kid did overhear and did pay attention it's not likely to have any lasting effect.

Additionally, there is no "separation of church and state". Observation is not establishment. Study is not establishment. Education is not establishment. It's only by adding to and/or misinterpreting that one can come up with the idea of forbidding all religion, correction, Christianity in schools.

No body will answer.. why can't we have a religion free learning zone..why is that bad...do all your religious stuff where it belongs..@ home..or in the church...want religion in school...fine they have schools for that..nobody is stopping you...when tax $$ funded schools are involved...just keep the religion out...let the kids learn what they need...pretty simple

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What are you afraid of if they don't..that is OK too you know...
I come from a long line of non believers... guess what...we all are NOT in jail...we all our productive members of society...and very happy...what else can you ask for?
"you don't have to put your $$ In a basket on Sunday to be a good person "
- MY Grandfather

Why are you SO OPPOSED to the Constitution and the Bill of RIGHTS? Does it not apply to you? Again, what part of the Constitution allows you to ban books? What part of having those books in schools is establishing a religion? What gives you the RIGHT to establish ANTI-religion? Is that not what it would be by banning those books?

I had "religious" education in college. There were history classes on religions. Good classes. I learned much. Some things I agreed with, some I did not. Same went for every other subject I studied in school.