Talking money with dispatchers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the way I now get Loads ..
Qualcom beeps twice .. you have 2 new messages ... next phone rings ..answer... Mark did you receive your load info ?
Have a nice trip Mark... Thank you ....
No Stress .... No need to negotiate rates ... after the first 50 DH miles it is all miles pd Full Rate .... They supply I-pass for tolls .. where thats not accepted they reinburse you on that payweek....
Give them a 72 hour notice for HOME trip wanted .... I will be getting load towards home ...
My last 6 months have been Dispatcher Stress Free ...:D
why complicate the simple....lol

Reactions: davekc

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
keep in mind...
YOU signed your right away to any further compensation.

No I didn't sign away my right to any further compensation! Likewise I didn't sign away my right to less compensation. If both carrier and driver agree to more or less than the contracted rate, fine. If one party can't agree, fine. Take it or leave it. It's all negotiable.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I didn't sign away my right to any further compensation! Likewise I didn't sign away my right to less compensation. If both carrier and driver agree to more or less than the contracted rate, fine. If one party can't agree, fine. Take it or leave it. It's all negotiable.
I was speaking contractually But I know what you are saying buddy
But you signed a contract for X-Amount per mile that's it ...nothing compels the other side to have to negotiate they can simply say take it or leave it ....that's what I meant
As a dispatcher from my last carrier told me you get 70% of the linehaul that's it take this load or I go move on to the next driver...you can always try to negotiate but they don't have to as you don't have to run the load
And I do believe we just said the same thing just two different ways to get around to it.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
By the way you will have to show me in the contract where you have the right to negotiate ? Is it right after the clause that said that you would run for X per mile....

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
When the carrier gives a discount to a customer did they offer them some of your money? You have to negotiate to get it back!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When the carrier gives a discount to a customer did they offer them some of your money? You have to negotiate to get it back!
The discount should not be your problem .... If you signed for x amount whether by the mile or %. Know what I mean?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as the carrier pays me what I signed up for ... There is no legal obligation for further discussion..... If the parameters of the load. Are not to your liking , you can try for extra money or simply refuse it....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If there's a discount it shouldn't affect a per mile rate but it could affect a % rate since there would be less available to guzinta. I done checked with Jethro too and he sees the same guzinta.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
By the way you will have to show me in the contract where you have the right to negotiate ?
Unless the contract explicitly prohibits negotiation, then you can negotiate.

You start off with a blank page and unlimited rights (for lack of a better word), then the contract begins restricting those rights. Not the other way around where the black page gives you no rights and then the contract starts granting them to you one by one.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless the contract explicitly prohibits negotiation, then you can negotiate.

You start off with a blank page and unlimited rights (for lack of a better word), then the contract begins restricting those rights. Not the other way around where the black page gives you no rights and then the contract starts granting them to you one by one.
Exactly that's what I meant you can try to negotiate but they don't have to ...this is your rate take it or leave it as what they can say ias you can say keep this load and shove it!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
especially when some of these carriers that partake in this activity proclaim....Our "owner operators are our best asset"....then for more profit they sell the load and have their units sit.....in the name of the bottom line.

On the flipside of the coin however just maybe some of them O/O's are just being unrealistic in the "name your price" category without considering market conditions. ( in dreamland ) ...
Some of these same companies raise hell about drivers and companies being underinsured, then they broker out GM/Ford loads to partner carriers that only have 100k in cargo insurance. I believe that one or both of these customers require at least 250k in cargo insurance! Everyone is a hypocrite in this business! They're all money :censoredsign:s!

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
keep in mind...
IF you signed a contract for X amount per mile...why should they negotiate?

IF you signed a contract for a % of line haul...why should they negotiate?

YOU signed your right away to any further compensation,..
not including layover/hand load/Dtime which is covered in another section of your contract....
Unless, as sometimes occurs, you know you have em between a rock and a hard place. Got me? I am satisfied with my Pay. I recieve what I should plus some for my Loaded Miles and then some or all on occasion of my DH. Shorter Runs usually all Miles Paid well. If I know I'm the only 3-skidder around and it's say....Honda....I'm paid adequately. Or I would have left long ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
In today's expediting climate, I am having a difficult time imagining large numbers of van drivers engaged in negotiations with their dispatch about anything.

Most are probably grateful that they get their contracted rate.

Stay safe
KG

Reactions: jjtdrv4u and Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In today's expediting climate, I am having a difficult time imagining large numbers of van drivers engaged in negotiations with their dispatch about anything.

Most are probably grateful that they get their contracted rate.

Stay safe
KG
No unfortunately there are still some that are arrogant enough and stubborn enough to believe that they are owed freight and expect freight and expect shippers to pay for their own indulgences

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Some of these same companies raise hell about drivers and companies being underinsured, then they broker out GM/Ford loads to partner carriers that only have 100k in cargo insurance. I believe that one or both of these customers require at least 250k in cargo insurance! Everyone is a hypocrite in this business! They're all money :censoredsign:s!
that's the bidness...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless, as sometimes occurs, you know you have em between a rock and a hard place. Got me? I am satisfied with my Pay. I recieve what I should plus some for my Loaded Miles and then some or all on occasion of my DH. Shorter Runs usually all Miles Paid well. If I know I'm the only 3-skidder around and it's say....Honda....I'm paid adequately. Or I would have left long ago.
I understand completely what you're saying been there done that

Reactions: vandriver2

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've seen many brokers who are clueless and can't negotiate themselves out o a paper bag! Some of them don't even speak English very well at all I think in those cases they hear a dial tone pretty quickly! I don't deal with them much anymore.

laicox

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you feel the need to ask for "an extra $100 per load", and to "raise the rate for each load", then I think you're either driving for a lowball carrier, [cheapskates!] or you simply want more, more, more, no matter the rate offered. Either way, it doesn't sound like a good fit between you & the carrier.
I think I'd HATE being a dispatcher, lol. :mad:

Well, this thread is based on "taking money with the dispatcher". I do understand that negotiating isn't for everyone but, every business decision that we make is based on some type of negotiating. We enjoy the rate negotiating process (RNP) with every load. I have both taught and learned the RNP from my other team members and after using this interaction method for over 3 years we have found that we have increased our RPM (revenue per mile) by a significant percent. As Kenny Rogers sings (know when to hold-me and know when to fold-em). Some loads we turn down after we go through the RNP, some we take as offered, and some we increase by $100 or more.

Don't you think that the carrier negotiates the load with the shipper? Even if the load is based on a previously negotiated rate...it was negotiated at some time.

Now just to be fair, I do have a background in sales so I have brought that experience to the expediting business model we use.

Again, using the RNP is not for everyone but, neither is expediting....