Talking money with dispatchers.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends. If you're mostly out west, then 40% wouldn't be all that uncommon. If you're in the Midwest, 40% would indicate that you're too impatient and are chasing freight. :D

Yup Turtle :D
I'm impatience and my dispatchers are impatience. That's equates to more loads available for me, lol.

Really, my dispatchers and I kinda have the understanding. They will not ask me to DH, unless they are 99% sure that they can secure the loads for me.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Depends. If you're mostly out west, then 40% wouldn't be all that uncommon. If you're in the Midwest, 40% would indicate that you're too impatient and are chasing freight. :D
So how long do you consider 'impatient' and how long is just too long to sit in one spot?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Im curious about this as well. Bump.
Well, it depends on the spot. Deadheading out of Chicago because you've been sitting there without a load for 12 hours is impatient. Sitting for more than 24 hours in Belgrade, Montana is too long to sit in one spot. Sitting more than 24 hours in Charlotte, NC is not.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I've taken a run got more money out of with extra items that came out of it
Had to go to 17th floor with 8 pallets of boxes,
They had policy no freight with people on it
Took 4 1/2 hour to deliver, plus after 1st 31 mins was on d time
So their was extra money for inside del, d time
Plus take pallets. Away add extra $400.00 dollars to which was $200.00 starts

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Well, it depends on the spot. Deadheading out of Chicago because you've been sitting there without a load for 12 hours is impatient. Sitting for more than 24 hours in Belgrade, Montana is too long to sit in one spot. Sitting more than 24 hours in Charlotte, NC is not.

So Chicago and Charlotte have heavy freight traffic, so be patient because one will come your way. Belgrade doesn't have much action, so don't spend too much time there is what your saying? How do you know what the good areas and bad areas are? Do you just have to learn through expierence?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's mainly experience and talking with other drivers. And as Dan said, each carrier can be different. There are some areas that are pretty universal to all carriers, like Chicago (and Belgrade lol) but others area it depends on the carrier. Like, with Panther, Kansas City is a really good area. With Load One, not so much. For most carriers the East Coast, and New England especially, is a nightmare because they can't get loads out of there. Never had a problem getting loaded out of there with Load One. Well, except for that load to Madawaska, Maine (look that one up on the map). But I did get a couple of well paying short loads in Maine, then got loaded out of Massachusetts. Mostly I just chilled out and ate lobster.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Ok thanks turtle. Im just researching for now, but after August of this year im going to start getting serious about this type of work. Im sure ill have plenty more questions later on.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Other thing to do learn the system of carried you drive for
Be solution not problem
Always have something to say to dispatcher that is nice
Tell them how super they, they will remember that
For 20 years have always run a con on dispatcher
Here at ceva will bring in some cookies for dock crew and office crew, chili to
Works every time

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Thanks for the replies. Once I get to rolling one of these days I don't think ill be partaking in that. Seems kind of shady to me.

Reactions: Treadmill

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Other thing to do learn the system of carried you drive for
Be solution not problem
Always have something to say to dispatcher that is nice
Tell them how super they, they will remember that
For 20 years have always run a con on dispatcher
Here at ceva will bring in some cookies for dock crew and office crew, chili to
Works every time
Run a con ?dude you lost me and I don't get lost thy easy please explain that statement