Talking money with dispatchers.

laicox

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that ST or cargo van? Because if that is for a van, I think you are in dreamland. Now if in a ST I could see that maybe happening but not all the time.

This conversation is based on a team straight truck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This conversation is based on a team straight truck.

In the example you gave, you're requesting more money for DH ["no matter how long or short"], but dispatch is aware of long DH, and will offer to cover some of it, usually without needing to ask. You also ask for tolls, but at Load 1, they're always covered. You ask for money to move from the consignee, which is fair if it's not a good area, but as a general rule, I would rather turn the load down. Money to DH covers the fuel, but not the wear & tear [adds up over time] or my time, so I would rather do a load that doesn't require it.
If you enjoy negotiating, more power to you. I don't, and prefer working with a carrier that doesn't make it a regular part of the deal - if the particulars merit more money, dispatch will usually offer it.
I'd also rather dispatchers spend more time looking for loads, as opposed to negotiating every one they offer - but that's just me.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I was with one of my former carriers I got offered a short heavy load that would have messed up my whole day, so I refused it right away on the qualcomm. A minute later I get a phone call about this load, that this is one of our best customers, we need to serve them, blah, blah, blah, and if I can help them out with this load. I nicely expained to the lady why this load did not make sense from my point of view, but if she will throw $100 extra it would make me consider it. Boy, she jumped like I insulted her and gave me the talk how I signed a contract and I couldn't ask for more money. Then I reminded her about the other part of the contract that said that I wasn't required to accept every load they threw at me. I also reminded her that I already refused the load and she called me back to force me to take it. She backed down quicky.

I did not negociate on the loads I really wanted, only on the loads I did not care for. Many times they would throw in extra money if they did not have another choice, sometimes they did not. No skin off my back.

Btw, this was in the good old times, right now I don't think negotiations work in the van market.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with one of my former carriers I got offered a short heavy load that would have messed up my whole day, so I refused it right away on the qualcomm. A minute later I get a phone call about this load, that this is one of our best customers, we need to serve them, blah, blah, blah, and if I can help them out with this load. I nicely expained to the lady why this load did not make sense from my point of view, but if she will throw $100 extra it would make me consider it. Boy, she jumped like I insulted her and gave me the talk how I signed a contract and I couldn't ask for more money. Then I reminded her about the other part of the contract that said that I wasn't required to accept every load they threw at me. I also reminded her that I already refused the load and she called me back to force me to take it. She backed down quicky.

I did not negociate on the loads I really wanted, only on the loads I did not care for. Many times they would throw in extra money if they did not have another choice, sometimes they did not. No skin off my back.

Btw, this was in the good old times, right now I don't think negotiations work in the van market.

only in the case of "must Cover Loads" "Must not broker " if you know who those customers are you kind of have them over the barrel IF you don't get too greedy and the rate makes sense...? Play it as it goes...

Reactions: Mailer

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"If you don't get too greedy" is what prompted my reply to the poster who negotiates on every load. IMO, that is more about greed than need. Unless it's a need to 'win' every time, but that makes it adversarial, which I don't think is terribly productive. I believe that cooperative is a better strategy than competitive, in most situations.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I completely agree...If the load offer is within the contract rate and nothing is extreme...like tons of DH on either end of load that does not seem to be compensated for....exactly WHAT are these greed hounds negotiating about?...
In History it was accepted that 15-20% DH was the norm in CVland....like a 1000 mile load with 100 miles dh is ONLY 10% ...well within the parameters. somehow ALL MILES PAID mindset has set in.....as great as it be to be paid for ALL miles....its a fantasy...
If some are expecting ALL miles every load and dickering about it....they are the ones that are slower then most as dispatch could be skipping over them as they have no time to dicker....

Reactions: TDave and Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To Add....IF a load bidders is adding every mile unto a bid without asking me first....that is a cause of concern for me.... Its MY load opportunity as well as the carriers...at this stage in this biz..you really think a shipper/broker is going to pay that extra $100 to cover your 75 miles DH when most other bids will be that much lower to actually loaded miles...and you wonder why you sit so much and getting out bid by those nasty Europeans

Opps.....IMO :p

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
....as great as it be to be paid for ALL miles....its a fantasy....

BINGO brother OVM !

There's no negotiations. Lol.

My DHs are above the norm. Pretty much when arrived at my DH destinations, I usually secure the loads within 24 hours...Yup, DH on my dollars, but my dispatchers will work with me on securing the next loads(Team efforts:rolleyes: ).

But..... There's no guarantee. There are times when I have to sit longer than 24 hours for the loads. Overall I'm still ahead.....for now....Lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BINGO brother OVM !

My DHs are above the norm. Pretty much when arrived at my DH destinations, I usually secure the loads within 24 hours...Yup, DH on my dollars, but my dispatchers will work with me on securing the next loads(Team efforts:rolleyes: ).

But..... There's no guarantee. There are times when I have to sit longer than 24 hours for the loads. Overall I'm still ahead.....for now....Lol.
UNpaid DH is a great drain on our resources...and while its great to be paid ALL miles it can also be punishing to expect to be paid for them every load...or even a portion of them....to be TOO focused on the issue it can bite you in the butt as well....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BINGO brother OVM !

what do you figure your % of unpaid miles to be at?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sounds like what I sometimes, on rare occasion must do. Just part of the Negotiation. NO-FORCE Dispatch. I'm so used to it and used to their pressure tactics and reactions. It's all a Learned Game and Business for both the Company Dispatcher and the Owner Operator. I'm polite and respectful, quick and a yes or no. o_O

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, dispatch just called now. Got a Load Offer (where I now would have sat waiting for 48hrs) for from Columbus, Indiana to Toledo. Go Figure. They still have me in Columbus, Indiana.
I called in yesterday around 3pm after 30 hrs. waiting to tell them "I'M HEADING HOME NOW TO TOLEDO". (Please put a NOTE in saying "Toledo Local Loads Only for Fri..) Dispatcher confirmed they did over the Phone yesterday.
Oh well. I can't do anymore than Communicate my whereabouts, needs and Direction. I feel I'm a pretty good communicator. It makes one Numb.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The past 7 weeks I've accepted all load offers at my rate, no trying to squeeze that extra nickel out of them, if the offer to pay deadhead of course I'm taking it,
Well yeah of course...its when these bidders against my advice still include the DH in bid and we don't get the load.....you know who gets blamed for that eh?....in this competitive time I figure that bidder cost me any chance to get that load...