TA Ontario Ca, New Rules and fees

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't spend a lot of time on the west coast, but when I go, the TA is not a place I want to park. There are lots of big box and grocery stores around, and they usually don't bother trucks - if you park out of the way of their customers.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Plan ahead, there is a web site for parking in major cities but I have to get it. Wal Marts are stopping the trucks from parking because of the famous yellow milk jug. Some times we are our own worst enemies.
I watched a trucker in Indy FJ pull up to the dumpster in the back, never getting out of his seat pull 6 full bottles from his truck and throw them in the dumpster. I couldn't believe my eyes.:eek:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
When driving for the fed we had no problem parking in the back lot of bass pro shop at foothill. There is a huge shopping area there with movies and occasional festivals. We also find long-term parking for our big rig at the farmer boys restaurants in Ontario. For straights who like it quiet the campground behind the pilot at castaic on the lake is reasonable. Showers big spaces to park grills and picnic tables.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat

Expert Expediter
That would be straight trucks sprinters etc. Lol. My bad.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Is that "wow, why do you sit that long?" or "wow, how'd you get out so quick?" lol

Fdcc. Sometimes it's because freight is slow, sometimes you just want a couple days of rest after a hard week :)

Actually it was, "Wow. Why does it take them so long?" Now if you arrive on a Friday and have a two day weekend, I can understand. Are you running solo in a straight or Tractor? I could understand then. But under normal circumstances....

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Actually it was, "Wow. Why does it take them so long?" Now if you arrive on a Friday and have a two day weekend, I can understand. Are you running solo in a straight or Tractor? I could understand then. But under normal circumstances....

Well, good thing I typed that! I got a load out in about 24hrs. We're a s.t. team, but it's very unpredictable...

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Plan ahead, there is a web site for parking in major cities but I have to get it. Wal Marts are stopping the trucks from parking because of the famous yellow milk jug. Some times we are our own worst enemies.
I watched a trucker in Indy FJ pull up to the dumpster in the back, never getting out of his seat pull 6 full bottles from his truck and throw them in the dumpster. I couldn't believe my eyes.:eek:

Where would you like to see a driver throw a pee bottle i mean isn't that what a dumpster is for

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I asked some questions about this thread with the VP of the TA/Petro, who is in charge of Marketing as well as Public Relations, this is what I have heard back so far:

We still only need to buy 50 gallons of fuel to stay free or $20 in the store per 24 hours.

The rate did go up to $20.00 and $100.00 for a lost ticket. Sounds as if drivers in the area were using the TA's as storage for their trailers and saying they had lost their tickets.

These fee's have only affected the Ontario TA's.

The Ultra One has a free parking coupon if there has been enough fuel purchased. The Ultra One though is a great card to have with all of its perks.

He is still checking on what is going on with Parking out front for Expediters.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
It still amazes me when you whip out the Ultra One Expediter card. The look is like I am from outer space. On the instruction sheet that came with this Alien card, it says to produce it to the manager for parking. Yet, when I have done that the response was anywhere out back. So take up a spot where a TT could use while the front goes unused! They need to get on the same page as corporate.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
I am at the TA in Ontario California, there is a West and an East.

I went to the Walmart at first, no overnite trucks allowed!

The straight trucks are allowed to park in the front with all customers, motorhomes and the overnite cars. However, the bobtails are being asked to leave when they come in.

The security guards are doing their jobs to watch the parking lot. There is laundry, Country Pride, Burger King, Taco bell, pool table and a large game room. In addition, there is a guy driving around in the white van offering you rides to anywhere and if you want to stop and buy some movies.

No problems staying at the TA but the big trucks do have to pay if they do not purchase either $20 gas, or something within the store totally that amount (a day).

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Screw 'em we will park somewhere else!:mad:

Maybe you should step back and think about this a little more. You BBQ all of the time in the parking lot right? But you go in and use their facilities, you take up a parking spot, invite others to your BBQ, and they have wear and tear on their parking lot and do not spend a dime in the their store or a dime anywhere else on their grounds.

Somehow the truck stops have to pay rent, taxes, and upkeep so that you can park for free or in this case $20.00 to have a group BBQ. It is not just you Maniac many of the rest of us are doing the same thing. We pull into a truck stop get a choice parking spot (mind you the big trucks get aggravated as they think we should park else where) we get out go inside use the facilities and come back out to the truck and I cook supper. After that we go in for our free shower (the truck stop is paying to have someone clean the shower) and then back to the truck to watch a movie or workout. Fuel is not marked up enough to pay the desk clerks and the cleaning people as well as maintain a building and parking lot.

Somehow truck stops have to recoup their losses and I see paying to park becoming more and more common.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Fuel is not marked up enough to pay the desk clerks and the cleaning people as well as maintain a building and parking lot.

Somehow truck stops have to recoup their losses and I see paying to park becoming more and more common.

You are talking about the major chains that offer these services. They will tell you they make little or no money on fuel but I am not prepared to accept that on their say so alone. If fuel does not cover the expenses, what does?

Look at how these chains have grown in their service offerings over they years. When Pilot builds a new facility, they do not build a smaller building. When TA makes changes to its showers, they are not providing fewer towels and smaller rooms.

Flying J did not go broke because it was selling fuel for so much less than everyone else who stayed in business or because they did not charge for parking. J went broke because of management blunders.

To draw more truckers in, the truck stop chains are spending millions to upgrade and expand their facilities. They are not doing so because they are just scraping by on razor thin fuel margins. They have the money to work with, and I am inclined to believe that a good portion of that money comes from fuel sales. If not, where else would it come from?

Regarding an increasing trend toward paid parking, I'm not so sure. There are several truck stops around the country that have always open gates and abandoned parking lot booths where parking fees were charged in the past. Those vacant booths might suggest a trend away from paid parking, would they not?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not know what their profit is on fuel.

I know that the discounts we get are large and many of the companies get these discounts. The independents pay the cash price and when talking to these guys they are pretty bitter about this.

Somewhere the difference has to made up with many more drivers eating in the their trucks and tightening their belts on spending.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
This entire thread only strenghtens my argument for staying in campgrounds.

As for fuel prices, it's really not much of an issue. That's not to say it won't ever become an issue... but my customers pay for my fuel. If they were to stop calling me, or tell me my prices are too high, then I would have to do something. For now, everything is still good.

fired at you from my Droideka

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This entire thread only strenghtens my argument for staying in campgrounds.

As for fuel prices, it's really not much of an issue. That's not to say it won't ever become an issue... but my customers pay for my fuel. If they were to stop calling me, or tell me my prices are too high, then I would have to do something. For now, everything is still good.

fired at you from my Droideka

Campgrounds are nice IF you know what your next move is. I would hate to pay $30 for a night at a campground and then get a dispatch 4 hours later. Not that we can use campgrounds, our equipment is not compatible with them. Many someday I can get a new APU, then we could use them. Most of them are nicer than trucks stops.